ClubAdventist is back!

Can we pursue capitalism____

LifeHiscost

Substance abuse needs to be addressed by random drug testing. That means that at any given time, a person on welfare can be called and given 12 hours to report to a clinic for a drug test. I am not aware of any states doing that.

I am not saying that Rush, Sean and Glen are not misguided on some things. I know they are. No one is perfect. I am just saying that they come off as nice guys. Anyone that favors a 5-year limit to welfare just hasn't thought it through well enough. Now that we have had the 5-year limit Obama is courageous enough to toss out what doesn't work. Praise God from Whom all blessings flow - and count Obama as one of those blessings.

Of course they are misguided,they disagree with you. Guess that is better than them having the responsibility of being cold hearted conservatives that push mothers into prostitution.

You seem to think that you know more and can claim those that work day after day,week after week with this know less

Not sure where you are looking but many that have the hands on,not stats don't agree with.... Anyone that favors a 5-year limit to welfare just hasn't thought it through well enough.

As for Obama tossing out what didn't work,maybe you are right.

It wouldn't buy him votes,more generous and liberal welfare certainly would.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bonnie

• Dr. Shane

• Robert

Some faulty logic there. Obama doesn't need to buy welfare votes, he already has them.

The 5-year limit, while it may have been worth trying, its failure certainly means it should be discarded.

Rush Limbaugh expressing his opinion day after day doesn't make him an authority. He predicted that if Clinton raised taxes it would throw the nation into a recession. Clinton did raise taxes and the 1990s were such an economic boom that the federal budget became balanced at the decades end because revenues came in faster than Congress could spend them.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

Quote:
1990s were such an economic boom that the federal budget became balanced at the decades end because revenues came in faster than Congress could spend them.

Shane, you have become a fount of conventional wisdom. Unfortunately, it is nearly always wrong. Since we can all listen to the MSM, you are becoming redundant.

Clinton repeatedly said he didn't care about balancing the budget. The Republican congress reduced spending increases, and the economy grew as a result.

Whatever government actually spends is taxation. They either pay with it by direct taxation, taking money out of the economy; by borrowing; or by repudiating the debt through inflation.

“the slovenliness of our language makes it easier to have foolish thoughts.” George Orwell

Oh, wait. Let me guess: "This thread is not about me."

No, and it's not about who's listening to Rush Limbaugh either.

“the slovenliness of our language makes it easier to have foolish thoughts.” George Orwell

No, and it's not about who's listening to Rush Limbaugh either.

Depends on the identity of "me" doesn't it? blowing

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

Quote:
1990s were such an economic boom that the federal budget became balanced at the decades end because revenues came in faster than Congress could spend them.

Clinton repeatedly said he didn't care about balancing the budget. The Republican congress reduced spending increases, and the economy grew as a result.

Please note that I did not credit Clinton with balancing the budget. Without Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich controlling the purse strings, we would have never had a balanced budget at the end of the decade. However Newt didn't do it alone. He had help from a booming economy. The dot-com bubble actually produced more revenues to the federal treasury than what was projected. If Congress had known how much money was actually going to come in, they would have spent it before it was ever collected. I say that because as soon as the surplus was realized, the talk in Washington was how we were going to spend it. No one was talking about paying down the debt. The only talk was spend, spend, spend.

My point is that the economic boom came after Clinton raised taxes. Rush Limbaugh's prediction was that the tax increase would cause an economic slump. It did not. Rush was wrong and wrong big time.

You are a gentleman and a scholar. I am honored that you would address me by name. Not only that, you kept the focus on the topic of discussion and not on any of my personality traits, weaknesses or defects of character. I think you add a lot to this forum and am glad to see you participate.

pals