ClubAdventist is back!

Jesus and Swords

David_McQueen

Luke 22:35-38 (New International Version)

35 Then Jesus asked them, “When I sent you without purse, bag or sandals, did you lack anything?”

“Nothing,” they answered.

36 He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.

37 It is written: ‘And he was numbered with the transgressors’ and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment.”

38 The disciples said, “See, Lord, here are two swords.”

“That is enough,” he replied.

• Moderators

That's how I have understood this text: Jesus is looking at what he if facing, the disciples think that they are about to conqure the Romans, they already have two swords to take on the Roman emperire, and Jesus tells them that they have enough weapons.

Jesus was referring to the incident that was to happen in Gethsemane. Peter, who had one of the swords, used his to cut off an ear. Jesus told him to put his sword away. When standing before Pilot, Jesus explained that since His kingdom was not of this world, His followers will not fight (like human nations do).

Christians are sent into the world to save lives, not to take them.

Your friend,

Dave M