ClubAdventist is back!

"In Christ" what does that mean?

Norman Byers, N.D.

• Members

That's what I mean.

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robert

• pnattmbtc

• Woody

• Gerr

Top Posters In This Topic

How about citing your sources Robert. If you can criticize the Lord's prophet you are well able to cite this, whats up?

Actually the problem with you and other SDA like you is that you place EGW in a position she was never intended to be....You see her as infallible, and therefore there's no error and then you say things like "If you can criticize the Lord's prophet".....Don't you know that God can see through this type of smoke screen? Do you think you are budding up to God? Think again...

As to this Reference: R&H 8-28-1894

Originally Posted By: pnattmbtc
Christ told him to sell what what had and follow Him because this was his idol. Had he done so, just think of the blessings awaiting him! Fortunately, Matthew responded, and left all he had to follow Christ.

This idea came from EGW, not you....That's my problem, you take EGW over your own Bible study! I quote her only if I have derived it from the Bible first....

I'm not sure why this makes any difference, but this is 100% my idea. I got it several years ago. I was thinking about the RYR and how unfortunate it was that he made the decision that he made, and what a blessing it would have been had he accepted Christ's offer. I was thinking of the rich in general, and somehow Matthew came to mind. I had the thought that Christ made the same appeal to Matthew as he did to the RYR, and here was one who responded favorably.

To the best of my knowledge, EGW doesn't comment on this.

I'm a bit puzzled why, apparently simply because I shared a thought that I had, that you would jump to the idea that it was because of Ellen White.

It's also puzzling why you would think that pointing this out would somehow be helpful for whatever it is you're trying to do.

Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God.

Here's what Waggoner says regarding establishing the law:

Quote:
Establishing the Law. That which has been said in regard to making void the law of God will apply here also. That is, no action of man can make the law anything different from what it actually is. It is the foundation of the throne of God, and as such it will ever abide, in spite of demons and men.

But it is left for us to say whether or not we will have it obliterated from our hearts, or have it established there. If we choose to have it established in our hearts, we have only to accept Christ by faith. Faith brings Christ to dwell in the heart. Eph. 3:17. The law of God is in the heart of Christ (Ps. 40:8), so that the faith which brings Christ into the heart establishes the law there. And since the law of God is the establishment of his throne, the faith which brings the law into the heart, enthrones God there. And thus it is that God works in men "both to will and to do of his good pleasure."(Waggoner on Romans)

Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God.

Christ told him to sell what what had and follow Him because this was his idol. Had he done so, just think of the blessings awaiting him! Fortunately, Matthew responded, and left all he had to follow Christ.

This idea came from EGW, not you....That's my problem, you take EGW over your own Bible study! I quote her only if I have derived it from the Bible first....

i thought it was straight from the bible, myself.

rich young ruler says he wants to follow Christ.

Jesus says give your riches to the poor.

rich young ruler walks away sad.

matthew is sitting in his tollbox making money ripping off people.

Jesus walks by, says follow me.

matthew drops everything and follows Christ.

bible.

facebook. /teresa.quintero.790

i thought it was straight from the bible, myself.

rich young ruler says he wants to follow Christ.

Jesus says give your riches to the poor.

rich young ruler walks away sad.

matthew is sitting in his tollbox making money ripping off people.

Jesus walks by, says follow me.

matthew drops everything and follows Christ.

bible.

Certainly the accounts are in the Bible, but it takes some insight to see that the same situation was applying to both the RYR and Matthew. I'm sure others have noticed this.

A thing that makes the Bible such a wonderful book is just how many of these insights are just waiting, like little treasures, for us to discover.

I was thinking about the RYR and how unfortunate it was that he made the decision that he made, and what a blessing it would have been had he accepted Christ's offer. I was thinking of the rich in general, and somehow Matthew came to mind. I had the thought that Christ made the same appeal to Matthew as he did to the RYR, and here was one who responded favorably.

To the best of my knowledge, EGW doesn't comment on this.

I'm a bit puzzled why, apparently simply because I shared a thought that I had, that you would jump to the idea that it was because of Ellen White.

It's also puzzling why you would think that pointing this out would somehow be helpful for whatever it is you're trying to do.

I am SOOO grateful for SOP. I realize this opinion is a very unpostmodern one to hold, but I have been saved from so much misdirection by having her writings available, it has been invaluable to me.

It blows my mind that so many professed Adventists want to discard it.

Yes, I had it shoved down my throat while attending Adventist schools. But, you know, I rediscovered it with a beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other sitting poolside with too much time on my hands. First the GC and then DA. Powerful, powerful stuff.

Now, it is such a bulwark against the winds of doctrine, I praise God for it.

Discard the SOP? Never. Yes, it sometimes goes across my will even now, like fingernails on a blackboard, and I am tempted to agree with the naysayers. But I look back at what it has done for me over the past thirty years and I see the hand of God moving in my life.

Establishing the Law. That which has been said in regard to making void the law of God will apply here also.

Waggoner is off base....Out of context, the subject of Roman chapter 3 is JBF...not sanctification....Even in growth you are not "establishing" the law.

it takes some insight to see that the same situation was applying to both the RYR and Matthew...
I have seen insight in what you write, but here you are so far off it's not even funny.....

Why don't you start another post here on Theological Talk? Call it "The RYR"....Then I will be more than happy to help you see the issue there....but I've ask you already and you did not comply. Why? John, in his hunger for power, has restricted me from starting a subject (posting). That way he cam limit what I say.

I am SOOO grateful for SOP. I realize this opinion is a very unpostmodern one to hold, but I have been saved from so much misdirection by having her writings available, it has been invaluable to me.

It blows my mind that so many professed Adventists want to discard it.

Yes, I had it shoved down my throat while attending Adventist schools. But, you know, I rediscovered it with a beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other sitting poolside with too much time on my hands. First the GC and then DA. Powerful, powerful stuff.

Now, it is such a bulwark against the winds of doctrine, I praise God for it.

Discard the SOP? Never. Yes, it sometimes goes across my will even now, like fingernails on a blackboard, and I am tempted to agree with the naysayers. But I look back at what it has done for me over the past thirty years and I see the hand of God moving in my life.

i can so identify!! i am so grateful God has given her to us, but at the same time i can identify with those who were thumped with her, as many do with the bible also. :)

Establishing the Law. That which has been said in regard to making void the law of God will apply here also.

Waggoner is off base....Out of context, the subject of Roman chapter 3 is JBF...not sanctification....Even in growth you are not "establishing" the law.

i respect that you disagree with waggoner but the bible says clearly that the law, if we choose and if we allow it, will be written in our hearts. but the work is Gods and not our own.

Waggoner isn't speaking of sanctification. Here's speaking of justification. Here's the link:

http://www.crcbermuda.com/bible/righteousness-by-faith/articles-on-romans/1075-chapter-3

You can verify this for yourself.

it takes some insight to see that the same situation was applying to both the RYR and Matthew...
I have seen insight in what you write, but here you are so far off it's not even funny.....

Why don't you start another post here on Theological Talk? Call it "The RYR"....Then I will be more than happy to help you see the issue there....but I've ask you already and you did not comply. Why? John, in his hunger for power, has restricted me from starting a subject (posting). That way he cam limit what I say.

The similarities are pretty easy to see. teresaq summed it up nicely.

The similarities are pretty easy to see. teresaq summed it up nicely.

Not at all! This is surface reading....You must go deeper. Start another post on the RYR if you want to see evidence.

Rob

Waggoner isn't speaking of sanctification. Here's speaking of justification.

We don't establish the law....Is Waggoner stating we do?

I gave you the link. You can see for yourself what he said. You also have what I quoted to look at.

Someone else would have to do this.

Someone else would have to do this.

Give me a title and opening post and I will put this up.

Mark

Title: "The Rich Young Ruler"

Opening post: Why did Christ tell the RYR "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me"? What does this mean within the context of Matthew chapter 19 and/or Mark chapter 10 and/or Luke chapter 18?

Title: "The Rich Young Ruler"

Opening post: Why did Christ tell the RYR "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me"? What does this mean within the context of Matthew chapter 19 and/or Mark chapter 10 and/or Luke chapter 18?

I see this has been taken care of. :-)

The best wisdom is always second hand...