ClubAdventist is back!

The Precious Promises of God

teresaq

by charles fitch, one of those believing Christ would come in 1844.

im hoping his "confession" will be a blessing.

1. It is now several years, since, after a season of spiritual gloom and sadness, I came fully to the conclusion, that there was something in the religion of Jesus Christ, to which I had been a stranger. I had seen myself to be a sinner before God, richly deserving His everlasting indignation. I had seen that God would be holy, just and good, and worthy of universal and eternal adoration, while punishing me with everlasting destruction from His presence and from the glory of His power. I had also seen in Christ a Saviour, who, after atoning for all mankind on the cross, was able, on the merits of that atonement, to save to the uttermost all that come to God by Him; and on that Saviour I had cast myself as my only hope, and trusted in Him, and Him only, as my Deliverer from the wrath of God. {1840 CF, LPN 1.2}

Trusting thus in Him-my crucified Saviour-for my salvation, I was for a time filled with great joy and peace in believing, and went on my way rejoicing. But years passed away, and to these lively emotions of joy in the Lord, I had been almost an entire stranger, except for a short season immediately succeeding my first conversion to Christ-when I did taste in a good degree, the peace which those are sure to find, who come with a heart penitent for sin, and trust in the merits of a crucified Saviour for pardon and everlasting life. But I had come now to the full conviction, that my religious state was very far from what it ought to be. This arose partly from what I had learned in the Bible respecting "the riches of the glory of this mystery which is Christ in us, the hope of glory" (Colossians 1:27); "the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, keeping the heart and mind of the Christian through Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:7), and "the joy unspeakable and full of glory to be found in Him, Whom not having seen, we love; in Whom, though now we see Him not, yet believing, we rejoice" (1 Peter 1:8); and partly from what I learned about that time of the experience of some Christians, to which experience I knew myself to be a stranger. {1840 CF, LPN 1.3}

I came then to a settled determination to know, with the help of God, more of spiritual things. Since that time, which is now some years, I have, as never before, "cried after knowledge, and lifted up my voice for understanding, seeking her as silver, and searching for her as for hid treasures that I might understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God" (Proverbs 2:3-5). {1840 CF, LPN 1.4}

I have sought for spiritual bread and for the water of life, with an earnestness which I know I have never felt for any of the possessions of this world. I have sought these in the Bible, in the experience of eminent Christians who have gone to their reward, and in the writings of living Christians who seem to know most of spiritual things. I have sought them in personal conversation with those who seemed to know most of the deep things of God, and I have sought them on my knees, with many tears, and with earnest wrestlings in the name of Christ for the teachings of the Holy Ghost. For a long time there was no definite blessing that I had in my mind as the object of pursuit, except that I might have more of the Holy Ghost, and be far better prepared than I had ever been to live to the glory of God. {1840 CF, LPN 1.5}

But I was made acquainted, in the providence of God, with some of those Christians who believe that it is the privilege of all disciples of Christ to be, through the "great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ who hath loved us and gave Himself for us, redeemed from all iniquity, and purified unto Himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works" (Titus 2:13-14); and we "through the blood of the everlasting covenant to be made perfect in every good work to do His will, by His working in us that which is well-pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ" (Hebrews 13:20-21)-to be "sanctified wholly, and to have their whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ through the faithfulness of Him who hath called them" (1 Thessalonians 5:23-24)-to be "cleansed from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, and to perfect holiness in the fear of God" (2 Corinthians 7:1); "through the promises of God which are all yea and Amen in Christ, unto the glory of God by us" (2 Corinthians 1:20), and thus through the "exceeding great and precious promises to be made partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust" (2 Peter 1:4). {1840 CF, LPN 1.6}

When I first knew this class of Christians, and first read their writings, I was greatly opposed to their views of truth, and from what I had learned of the mistakes and excesses of some who had professed to hold this truth, and to enjoy the experience of it, I was led to regard the whole subject with very great aversion. But I have learned that truth is not to be held accountable for excesses into which these mistakes may lead them, nor for the sins of those who hold the truth in unrighteousness. {1840 CF, LPN 1.7}

While I was thus crying after knowledge, and lifting up my voice for understanding, the Lord began to teach me more and more of the love of Christ, so that I was not only restored to my first love, but made to know, in my own experience, that "the path of the just is as the shining light, which shineth more and more unto the perfect day" (Proverbs 4:18), and that whoso "followeth Christ shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life" (John 8:12). "The peace of God, which passeth all understanding, keeping the heart and the mind through Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:7), and the "joy unspeakable and full of glory" (1 Peter 1:8), of which the Bible speaks, became realities to my mind; and I had learned the blessed truth, that "all the promises of God in Christ are yea, and in Him Amen, unto the glory of God by us" (2 Corinthians 1:20); that it is the Christian's privilege, by trusting in Christ for the fulfillment of the promises, to enjoy the fulfillment of every one of them, just as the awakened sinner has fulfilled to him the promise of pardon, when, and only when he believes for this on Christ. {1840 CF, LPN 1.8}

I had then inquired what has God promised, and what is He willing to do for me, if I believe for it in Christ. I examined the Bible with this principle in view, and found that God has said, "I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye" (Psalms 32:8). This promise I knew to be yea and amen in Christ unto the glory of God by me, and I therefore prayed and trusted in Christ that God would instruct me, and teach me in the way that I should go, and guide me with His eye, "into all truth" (John 16:13), respecting the doctrine of "sanctification" (1 Peter 1:2). {1840 CF, LPN 1.9}

When I read the promises on this subject, I found them full and explicit. "I will circumcise thine heart, and the heart of thy seed, to love the LORD thy God with all thine heart , and with all thy soul" (Deuteronomy 30:6). "I will sprinkle clean water upon you, and make you clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh, and I will put My spirit within you, and cause you to walk in My statutes, and ye shall keep My judgments, and do them, and I will also save you from all your uncleannesses" (Ezekiel 36:25-27, 29). And "I will make an everlasting covenant with you, that I will not turn away from you, to do you good; but I will put My fear in your hearts, that ye shall not depart from Me" (Jeremiah 32:40). And "this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord, I will put My laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them; and their sins and iniquities will I remember no more" (Hebrews 10:16,17). {1840 CF, LPN 1.10}

facebook. /teresa.quintero.790

youre welcome. there was more to the article and it is very good, but for the sake of brevity i just posted that bit on the promises and his confession.

the pioneers were so into the bible and God! they were truly philadelphia! brotherly love and how they worked and suffered for Christ.

facebook. /teresa.quintero.790