ClubAdventist is back!

Our presence in Uganda - is it appropriate?

abelisle

• Members

Seems like we are interfering with church-state relations in Uganda in regard to their pending legislation regarding the "Anti-homosexuality Bill" Our overt support of this bill is clearly not good for public relations here in the USA and most importantly for our continuing internal struggles with American church-state relations.

I happen to be the assistant to the director of the PARL dept. here in the GNYC but I'm speaking for myself on this matter.More detailed info can be found here:

http://www.spectrummagazine.org/blog/2010/01/09/uganda_you_can_make_difference

There is a line that must be drawn for disapproving of an individuals sexual inclinations and in executing them for these actions. Remember - hate the sin but love the sinner.

Alex

We are our worst enemy - sad but true.

colorfulcanyon-1-1.jpg

http://abelisle.blogspot.com

• Members

I happen to be the assistant to the director of the PARL dept. here in the GNYC but I'm speaking for myself on this matter.

Then why did you even mention that you are "the assistant to the director of the PARL dept. here in the GNYC"?

We just got done (I hope) with a homosexual thread...do we really need to start another one again?

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

Hey Alex. Thanks for the Spectrum link.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Members

Originally Posted By: abelisle
I happen to be the assistant to the director of the PARL dept. here in the GNYC but I'm speaking for myself on this matter.

Then why did you even mention that you are "the assistant to the director of the PARL dept. here in the GNYC"?

We just got done (I hope) with a homosexual thread...do we really need to start another one again?

I mentioned it to subtly state that as an ipso facto representative of the church, I have internally conflicting feelings about the issue.

This wasn't meant to be a "homosexual thread" but rather a thread pointing to the importance of choosing carefully how we operate within the interface of church-state relations.

Alex

colorfulcanyon-1-1.jpg

• Members

oh...okay. Just wondering.

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

Seems like we are interfering with church-state relations in Uganda in regard to their pending legislation regarding the "Anti-homosexuality Bill" Our overt support of this bill is clearly not good for public relations here in the USA and most importantly for our continuing internal struggles with American church-state relations.
are you saying that the sda church is approving this bill?

facebook. /teresa.quintero.790

• Members

Check out the link at Spectrum magazine. The situation is somewhat sticky because the GC is disavowing its support yet our adventist local administrator in Uganda is going his own way on this matter. Seems like an example of insubordination?

Alex

colorfulcanyon-1-1.jpg

• Members

If the Adventist in Uganda is a citizen of Uganda, then I say let him do what he sees fit about that legislation.

If the Adventist in Uganda is a citizen of Uganda, then I say let him do what he sees fit about that legislation.
the problem i see with that is if he is acting for the sda church that reflects on us.

further there is a "law" that what goes around, comes around. what we do to others will be done to us.

i dont want to see homosexuals hurt just because i dont agree with their lifestyle, nor do i wish to blame all my "woes" on them.

but thats how i see it. :)

facebook. /teresa.quintero.790

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

The SDA Chruch has a long history which goes back to Ellen White of taking stands either for or against local laws.

The SDA Church in Uganda is simplly following that tradition.

It should be noted that when Proposition 8 was recently up for a vote in California there were two Organized SDA groups that took very strong positions--one in favor and one against. Each group was supported by well known SDA leaders.

Gregory

• Members

The SDA Chruch has a long history which goes back to Ellen White of taking stands either for or against local laws.

The SDA Church in Uganda is simplly following that tradition.

It should be noted that when Proposition 8 was recently up for a vote in California there were two Organized SDA groups that took very strong positions--one in favor and one against. Each group was supported by well known SDA leaders.

Wow Gregory that's interesting.

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}