ClubAdventist is back!

Are you fit to be an Adventist?

abelisle

• Members

We talk about health reform , less now I think than years past, and when we do it's mostly about nutrition, specifically vegetarianism.

But with give little credence to exercise and being fit. Why is that? Some Adventists I know who have the healthiest diets look so drawn and gaunt that they would make poor poster-boys/girls for Adventism. Even our young people reflect the epidemic of obesity that's plaguing this country (USA).

EGW has a lot to say about health reform and its connection with our spiritual well-being. But have we taken it to heart?

First appearances go a long way even though most of us would agree that a book's cover doesn't necessarily reflect its contents. But can you imagine a church where most of the members (some might be handicapped and/or have genetic weaknesses)are physical specimens of radiant health and give off a charismatic glow that bespeaks being at peace spiritually!

For me, that would be the epitome of effective evangelism. We not only reflect God's character but we reflect the likeness of Adam and Eve, his perfect creation (before they succumbed to sin). Anybody walking in from the street into this church would want what they see there! We would be "walking the talk" not just talking it.

Am I dreaming? Is this an impossibility? Are we really taking care of our bodies which are the Temple of the Holy Spirit?

Are we fit to be Adventists?

Alex

We are our worst enemy - sad but true.

colorfulcanyon-1-1.jpg

http://abelisle.blogspot.com

• Members

Am I dreaming?

yes

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

Quote:

Great - As well as all of the other criteria that we have to measure up to in order to be "good Adventists", we now have another hoop to jump through - physical fitness.

Are we going to put that in the baptismal vows? "I believe I am a good poster boy/girl for the SDA health message."

Are we going to subject each prospective new member to a fitness test, like they do with football players before an important match?

To all those who have chronic or hereditary health problems, disabilities, and those who have turned to the SDA church after a lifetime of struggling with poor health - you FAIL. You are not fit to be Adventists. You'd better leave the church, so that those who remain can more easily present themselves as "physical specimens of radiant health and give off a charismatic glow that bespeaks being at peace spiritually."

Just look at the posts that will inevitably follow this introduction. People will analyse themselves and desperately try to come up with enough "positive" health points to show that they are good enough.

As for me, I think I'm done now and I'll go drink another coffee.

aldona

www.asrc.org.au

(Asylum Seeker Resource Centre, Melbourne)

Helping over 2000 refugees & asylum seekers each month

IMSLP/Petrucci Music Library

The Public Domain Music Score Library - Free Sheet Music Downloads

Looking for classical sheet music? Try IMSLP first!

• Members

As for me, I think I'm done now and I'll go drink another coffee.

I'll join you for that coffee, Aldona.

Originally Posted By: Aldona

Great - As well as all of the other criteria that we have to measure up to in order to be "good Adventists", we now have another hoop to jump through - physical fitness.

Are we going to put that in the baptismal vows? "I believe I am a good poster boy/girl for the SDA health message."

Are we going to subject each prospective new member to a fitness test, like they do with football players before an important match?

To all those who have chronic or hereditary health problems, disabilities, and those who have turned to the SDA church after a lifetime of struggling with poor health - you FAIL. You are not fit to be Adventists. You'd better leave the church, so that those who remain can more easily present themselves as "physical specimens of radiant health and give off a charismatic glow that bespeaks being at peace spiritually."

Just look at the posts that will inevitably follow this introduction. People will analyse themselves and desperately try to come up with enough "positive" health points to show that they are good enough.

And here I thought I was the only one who was thinking along these same lines.... I'm glad you spoke out Aldona....thanks.

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Moderators

As a general statement, I see good health as a means to an end,

not the end itself (and like Aldona I am a health professional).

Describing the church as a hospital for sinners can apply to the

physical as well as the spiritual.

Of course as individuals we should aim high....but I do not think

that means we should be subject to the verbalised or implied judgements of the members/patients.

• Members

I didn't mean to make this a test for being a "good Adventist" but rather raise the issue of health reform to a higher status than it has now. As for physical fitness, that just helps the individual to feel healthier and better about themselves. Let me assure you that being a good Adventist does NOT hinge on how fit you are!

But the healthier you are, the better everything else becomes.There is no implication of failure here only a desire to see more of our pastors and church leaders at least look the part.

BTW, enjoy your coffee - really bwink

Alex

We are our worst enemy - sad but true.

colorfulcanyon-1-1.jpg

http://abelisle.blogspot.com

• Moderators

I have still to work out how people enjoy coffee.....that is not a judgement, just a statement that I like neither the smell nor the taste :)

But that is rather off topic.

• Members

I drink flavored coffees... hazelnut and cinnamon spice are my favorites

I don't like coffee. I tried it once... and it was bleh. I did like some instant coffee I tried, but not enough to want to drink it regularly.

How is it that all conversations about health end up with people talking about coffee? Lol.

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde

�Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." - Jesus

• Moderators

Vegetarian SDAs often explain the reason they choose not to eat meat is because it is a healthy choice. However, we generally don't balance our other choices in the same way. For example, which is the healthier choice, a chicken salad or a jello/marshmallow/whipped cream salad? Yet many vegetarians will choose to eat a pile of jello salad, proud that they are not eating that BAD meat.

I brought a nonmember friend to church with me, one to whom I had been explaining our health message, and he was amazed to see unfit, overweight people in church! I told him we had a goal, and were still trying to attain it, as is everyone. I have a feeling he didn't buy it. :)

LD

For example, which is the healthier choice, a chicken salad or a jello/marshmallow/whipped cream salad?

I would have to say, a chicken salad sandwich, with jello on it. With whipped cream on the side.

• Members

That's true LynnDel... at Church Potlucks I see a lot of entrees that are just dripping with cheese!!! Now I like cheese, but not like that! Most of the homemade vegepatties use a lot of cheese too. I suppose it's okay if you have diarrhea - the cheese will bind you up! I guess it's just a matter of what you're used to.

• Moderators

Richard, you obviously need to be evangelized (after I finish gagging over your meal combo). Do you work it off afterwards with exercise, and irrigate your innards with a lot of water an hour or so after eating? :)

Pam - you're right about all that cheese. It seems to be the "healthy" ingredient of choice (ha), at least for a certain generation. I think younger people may have a better understanding of what a healthy lifestyle is all about.

LD

Quote:

Alex

Am I "fit" to be an Adventist? Well ... I AM fit to be an Adventist far more than those 'fit' Adventists. There seems to be some kind of competition here in our church as to who eats right and who exercises the most and who looks the most 'fit'.

I will be honest. I don't look that 'fit'. There we go ... I confessed it. But in my heart I am will fit. I am with the redeemed. I am saved by the blood of Jesus. HE alone makes me 'fit'. Thus, I am fit in HIS eyes if not in your eyes.

For we should not judge by the outward appearance but the inward.

Amen.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Administrators

My first reaction reading just the topic title was, "I know quite a few having a fit being and Adventist."

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Members

Vegetarian SDAs often explain the reason they choose not to eat meat is because it is a healthy choice. However, we generally don't balance our other choices in the same way. For example, which is the healthier choice, a chicken salad or a jello/marshmallow/whipped cream salad? Yet many vegetarians will choose to eat a pile of jello salad, proud that they are not eating that BAD meat.

I brought a nonmember friend to church with me, one to whom I had been explaining our health message, and he was amazed to see unfit, overweight people in church! I told him we had a goal, and were still trying to attain it, as is everyone. I have a feeling he didn't buy it. :)

I most definitely agree with you. I do believe that most adventist that believe that just not eating is a healthier life style really have no idea. But there are many that are really healthier, and this was brought out in that NG magazine article.

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Your post makes a lot of sense. Too often; this whole issue is carried over to a spot where no one recognizes whats right anymore. I started a similar topic awhile ago, The Exceeding Worth Of Joining The Church , and I have been trying to ask the question: "Who is worthy of being received by the Church?"

Its a funny thing how no one has an answer, unless they start talking about meat, cheese, and coffee. Is it any wonder that many find it embarrassing to bring someone to church?

And since when is the "health message" relegated ONLY to what you eat, or how "fit" [physically] you are? Some who are so willing to quip "enjoy drinking your coffee," may be one of those dudes who also say: "How do you like smearing your teeth and gums with all that lard?" [after brushing teeth with Crest toothpaste, of course.] Funny thing is, is that the guy who said that kind of stuff to me died of a heart attack over ten years ago now. I was with him when the Cariologist advised him very strongly to have the heart surgery; but Oh no! He had the health message, he didn't need that! Doctor said he only had 6 months without the surgery; he lasted 7 by eating a bit better than me.

It is my suggestion that most who think they do; actually don't know what the health message is.

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

OVERAGED

YES I AGREE that there is more to the health message

than not eating certain foods--- when I TELL people

I am a vegetarian I would tell them for 2 reasons

1 biblical and 2 health

biblical for the unclean meats and not distorying

the body temple

health for for a longer life to live

the NEW START PROGRAM is more than just diet

it involves all aspects of our live

dgrimm60

I know a number of people who have lived just as long while smoking, drinking, eating cheese/meat, and drinking coffee. So what do we tell people the major point of our health message is?

And I can trust"

• Members

I know a number of people who have lived just as long while smoking, drinking, eating cheese/meat, and drinking coffee. So what do we tell people the major point of our health message is?

That's very true, but I'm pretty sure that that number is a very low one. You really don't hear of to many. My grandfather who was not an SDA, lived to be 90. He did smoke cigars not sure about cigarette's. He ate all kinds of food. I do think that one of the difference's could be that along with all the meat he had a very well balanced diet. Lots of vegetables, etc. He also used to have a cognac before going to bed every night. He never did go to church or what anything to do with church. But he was a very good person. My grandmother on the other hand never smoked, I believe I'm right, she did eat unclean food at one point in her life, but gave those up when becoming an SDA. She died at 76, which in itselve is not a young age but still she didn't live as long as my grandfather. My Mom is going on 85. She also used to smoke a lot actually when younger. She still eats meat on occasion. But what I think agsin that makes the big difference is a balanced diet. And I would include our genidic makeup also has some say.

pk

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

LOL, I am sorry - I work nights and Thursday night was really long - my brain works differently when I get that tired; but I was actually just having a little fun with that one. My nights are the main reason I will miss attending Church, and be online Sabbaths instead; but you make some good points. Length of life may not also mean quality of life. I would rather have life in my years, than years in my life. I have wondered at times what effects night shifts have on a person? I wonder - given some of the criteria mentioned here for a "fit Adventist;" I guess I would lose out?

And I can trust"

but I think it has a lot to do with the genes

dgrimm60

In some cases; I guess there would be some truth to this; but from all my nursing and other experiences; I think it has a lot more to do with the frame of mind one is in. It is amazing what certain frames of mind can do to us physically, no matter what we eat.

And I can trust"

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Moderators

You're right, Shane. "Ever'body talkin ' 'bout health ain't livin' it..." (new words but still in the spirit of the old song).

LD

LD

Jesus kept fit by walking, a lot of walking, and by eating simple food, just enough to keep his body functioning. That should be our target.

If we would take a 20-40 mile weekend hike, packing simple food, drinking only water, we might feel more like Daniel and his three friends who refused to dine out at high-class restaurants or eat fast-food/junk food.

The Parable of the Lamb and the Pigpen https://www.createspace.com/3401451

And I can trust"