ClubAdventist is back!

The Pastor: A people pleaser? or dictator ?

Woody

Pastors should ...

Quote:
Not just (BE) time-servers or people pleasers.

This comment in another thread leads me to a question.

Should the pastor dictate what goes on in a church so as not to be accused of being "people pleasers" ???

OR ... should they work through the members and encourage them to do as the Lord leads THEM? Should the pastor work with the Church Board or just dictate what the church will do and what direction they will go.

I guess this all leads to how you view the job of a pastor. So many times it seems that I hear on boards such as this ... that people want the pastor to be a dictator so as not to be considered 'soft'.

What think you?

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Members

I thought pastors were supposed to be shepherds. We have too many hirelings.

I want a pastor who has a clue about what's happening in his church, and can make sound decisions without being a blabbermouth to his/her spouse about everything and everyone.

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Members

huh?

Why do you say huh? I think Pam made a very good point.

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Originally Posted By: Woody
huh?

Why do you say huh? I think Pam made a very good point.

pk

Perhaps I am dense ... but I didn't see the connection to what she said with the original post. Perhaps there is and I just missed it. That is why I asked huh.

I believe in Hematology.

In the words of Pam ... Oh just forget it.

I am probably just dense and just leave it at that.

I believe in Hematology.

Howdy from Canada Pam! ...may I please ask for clarification re your use of the word "hireling?" I remember reading some about that word in the Bible and the spirit of prophecy, but it was quite a while ago, and I cannot for the life of me recall exactly what it was about. What is a "hireling," as compared to the Shepherd?

To me; some Pastor's have this unbiblical mentality of "keeping the faith." But what they don't realize is that if it is true "faith" in Christ; it is impossible to keep it; you are compelled by the love of Christ to give as much of it away as quickly as you can, and as often as you can. Its a selfish religion that tries to "keep" their faith. It's not even designed to keep. If more Pastors would give away their faith; and exercise their faith, there would be no selfish little clicks in any of our churches. The people would be pleased with Christ, and would act in concert to His authority, not the Pastor's.

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

My guess is that Pam wants her pastor to participate and be knowledgeable about things that are happening in the church, but not to divulge private matters to a spouse.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Hireling - the one who watches the sheep for pay. They aren't his, so he doesn't have the personal feelings for them, nor care about them as the Shepherd (owner) does. The Shepherd will give his life for his sheep, whereas the hireling would not.

My opinion is that the pastor should be neither a peoplepleaser nor a dictator. The pastor should lead and be able to get those with differences to discuss their differences until an amicable solution is reached, not make an arbitrary decision based on his own perceptions.

• Moderators
Do you think I am trying to make people accept me? No, God is the One I am trying to please. Am I trying to please people? If I still wanted to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ. Gal 1:10 NCV

Well ... personally .... I give up. All I know is that each and every time the word "Pastor" is used .... it ends up being a bash fest. So, have at it people.

I believe in Hematology.

Dear Friends,

When was the last time you actually supported your pastor. He is the spiritual guide set apart by God to minister unto us. But we set him up for failure because we are not willing to do our part as a member of the Church.

A pastor is not the CEO of the Church; he is a member who has been set apart for a special work within the Church. The real control, in the local church, is the Church in business session; all members take a part in the business of the church. There is no higher authority in the local church. The pastor is a member when it comes to the business of the Church. He is to give us guidance, but he is not the final authority. Rather, through the vote of its members is the work of the local church done. If you are not willing to take a part in the work of the church then don't blame pastors who must do so because we a unwilling to do our part. Yes, there are times when he must speak out when we are going in a wrong direction, but that should be rare. A shepherd in the Biblical sense of the word, leads. He doesn't cajole nor prod; he leads by moving in the right path, and the sheep follow. But when it comes to the business of the church, he is one among many.

Listen when he speaks because he is God's spokeman, but then go home and study what he has said. And if you believe he is wrong, talk to him about it. Do not complain to your family or friends. If you are not willing to study, then don't complain. Remember Paul came to the Bereans, but they didn't just accept his words. They went home and studied for themselves, and they came to their own conclusions. This is the work of the church; we are not just to accept, we are to study. A pastor is a sinful man just as all of us. He can be wrong; we are not just to accept his words. We must do our own study.

And the pastor should be busy preparing people for baptism; it is the responsibility of the church members to be out presenting the gospel in their work, at home, and in the houses of friends and neighbors. Do you really believe that soul-winning is the sole responsibility of the pastor? There are contacts which he receives from the various sources, you could help by taking those contacts and visiting. In your life and by your life, you can be a cause for good. And there is no reason why you cannot give Bible studies.

People complain about the pastor and forget there is a work required of them by God. Stop complaining about pastor, instead, do the work required of you by God as a member of His Church.

Sincerely,

The Seeker

People complain about the pastor and forget there is a work required of them by God. Stop complaining about pastor, instead, do the work required of you by God as a member of His Church.

I agree, and please understand that I was not being critical of any pastor or group of pastors, I was simply trying to reiterate the counsel of the Lord's messenger to ministers in the other thread. She does call on ministers to be sure of their calling and to not even try to do it if they are not going to be one hundred percent committed.

Your counsel is equally as true. Each member should be a one hundred percenter.

In my business, I am near the top of the pecking order, but if I am walking down the hall and see some litter, or a spill, I just clean it up. I don't call for janitorial to take care of it. It is unsightly or might even be a hazard.

We each need to feel we have ownership of the church and to do all in our power to make it prosper.

• Moderators

Well ... personally .... I give up. All I know is that each and every time the word "Pastor" is used .... it ends up being a bash fest. So, have at it people.

Hey, Red, you asked us to tell you what we think. I quoted you what Paul said a pastor should be. That what should matter most to a pastor should be to please God, not to please men or to get their approval. That was not meant to be critical of pastors. We have to be careful how we are dealing with someone who may be God's anointed!