ClubAdventist is back!

Where have all the "anglos" gone ?

abelisle

• Members

It seems that the native, indigenous white (called "anglo") population of Adventists is diminishing in the NAD. If this is true, what is the impact for the future of the Adventist church not only in the USA but world-wide?

Will the message change? Will the church adapt to our post-modern culture? Will the ethnic fragmentation continue or will there be attempts to integrate our mainly immigrant, minority memberships (especially in large urban areas)?

Does this take us even further out of the Protestant mainstream and does this signal a theological paradigm shift for the USA to avoid the cultural flight from religiousity/denominational organizations as seen in Western Europe or an accommodation for a growth in personal spirituality?

Alex (wonder if I'll live long enough to see how all this plays out?)

We are our worst enemy - sad but true.

colorfulcanyon-1-1.jpg

http://abelisle.blogspot.com

• Members

I didn't know we were out of the Protestant mainstream. Huh.

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

I perceive the 3 angels message to be God's message to the world in this the end times. I do not see it as being just a message by and for 'indigenous' anglos. The message goes out and whosoever is willing to accept it, so be it. When the gospel has gone out to everyone then Jesus comes back.

I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs.

Frederick Douglass

It seems that the native, indigenous white (called "anglo") population of Adventists is diminishing in the NAD. If this is true, what is the impact for the future of the Adventist church not only in the USA but world-wide?

Alex (wonder if I'll live long enough to see how all this plays out?)

We are in the spiritual apathy phase, which precedes the return to bondage. Things have to get worse before people can see that they are worse and turn back to God. Fullness of bread is blinding the vision of most.

• Members

I perceive the 3 angels message to be God's message to the world in this the end times. I do not see it as being just a message by and for 'indigenous' anglos. The message goes out and whosoever is willing to accept it, so be it. When the gospel has gone out to everyone then Jesus comes back.

I agree. This is not and never was a message solely for "anglos". My only concern is that our church will be a church whose demographic representation only reflects that of immigrant and minority groups. For example, my local church is the only truly multi-ethnic church in all of NYC. If we are the "remnant" church , shouldn't we by our membership have a more "melting pot" flavor to our membership?

Maybe karl is right - our coffers are too full, we have much bread, materialism trumps all, and "anglos" are held captive spiritually to an abundance of "stuff!"

Hopefully Heaven will be a place of not only equal opportunity but equal representation?? Guess I'll have to wait to find out.

Alex

We are our worst enemy - sad but true.

colorfulcanyon-1-1.jpg

http://abelisle.blogspot.com

It is even worse here in England.

Most of the SDA membership in my local are either Phillipino, African or Carribean descent.

We have about 5 English White European members in a church of about 100 members.

In a city of about 200,000 people (estimation).

It seems the longer an immigrant cultural group resides in England, the more it is drawn into the "culture".

So that by the third generation, worldiness seems to have taken a hold.

Perilous times.

Mark.

The best wisdom is always second hand...

Most of the SDA membership in my local are either Phillipino, African or Carribean descent.

[snip]

Perilous times.

Mark.

Instead of whining about how "worldiness" has taken ahold of our church, why not rephrase the question?

Why are these people not coming to church? Why doesn't the church meet thier needs? What can be done to meet the churches need?

If a church refuses to meet the needs of the people, then it is not obeying the mandate of God "Go out to the byways and highways and bring people to my feast".....

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

• Members

Originally Posted By: Twilight

[snip]

Perilous times.

Mark.

Instead of whining about how "worldiness" has taken ahold of our church, why not rephrase the question?

Why are these people not coming to church? Why doesn't the church meet thier needs? What can be done to meet the churches need?

If a church refuses to meet the needs of the people, then it is not obeying the mandate of God "Go out to the byways and highways and bring people to my feast".....

I disagree with you Neil. I have heard the same thing all my life in the church, "are we meeting the needs of the people?" I think we have been. It seems that the lure of the world is what they want! If that's the case I don't think we can compete with that. If Jesus is not a greater need for people than I'm not sure what else the church can do?

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

I disagree with you Neil. I have heard the same thing all my life in the church, "are we meeting the needs of the people?" I think we have been. It seems that the lure of the world is what they want! If that's the case I don't think we can compete with that. If Jesus is not a greater need for people than I'm not sure what else the church can do?

pk

"And I, if I be lifted up, will draw all men unto me."-Jesus

Have we learned to tell the story a bit differently? Have we protrayed it with the proper medium? In books, we can capture the imagination of each person. In drama, we can portray various parts of the Gospel and present live images.

The needs of people are not to JUST worship. There is the need of fellowship, to be known and to know one another. There is our need to lean heavely on the spirit and be guided by him. There is the need of learning to walk with God literally....

I've been reading a book that said that a little girl growing up today, has so much information unindating her about her sexuality, that it is nearly impossible for a girl today to NOT be shaped into a sex machine before the age of "teens". But there is ONE item that can stand against it all and prevail.....it is her dad.

Is not our Dad more powerful than the world....?

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

97 percent of culture, customs and lifestyles in North America centers around Sunday as a worship and or rest day. Then you have the post modern notion that the sabbath really doesn't matter. I heard a top 'voice' on this board essential say that. Pastors and theologian outside of the church are saying it also, and a lot louder. I don't believe them of course.

I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs.

Frederick Douglass