ClubAdventist is back!

The Salt Police Are Coming

Quote:

Who decides to advertise high-sugar cereals on TV during children cartoons?

The word no is not a dirty word.My children did not determine what groceries I purchased and their choice of sugar sweetened cereal.When they wanted something not good for them,no matter how many commericals they saw,we knew how to say no. That was the end of the discussion.

They did not rule our household. Does being poor rob parents of common sense?

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bonnie

• Dr. Shane

• karl

• phkrause

It is truly amazing the number of people so spiteful and jealous of any business that does well.

It is amazing to me the number of people so spiteful and jealous of a few food stamps a poor family receives to survive.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

My children did not determine what groceries I purchased and their choice of sugar sweetened cereal.

Obviously children do choose the type of cereal purchased or advertisers wouldn't waste their money advertising during children's programing. These ads should be banned. The only reason they are not is because big food corporations have bought off our politicians.

Originally Posted By: bonnie
My children did not determine what groceries I purchased and their choice of sugar sweetened cereal.

Obviously children do choose the type of cereal purchased or advertisers wouldn't waste their money advertising during children's programing. These ads should be banned. The only reason they are not is because big food corporations have bought off our politicians.

OK let's analyze this. If sugary cereal advertising can be banned from children's programs, why not ban ads for fattening foods and alcoholic drinks during sports programs, or anytime, for that matter?

Shane, when are you going to give up on the nanny state? You cannot save people from themselves. Nor should you if you could.

Freedom!!!

If sugary cereal advertising can be banned from children's programs, why not ban ads for fattening foods and alcoholic drinks during sports programs, or anytime, for that matter?

Adults normally are a bit more mature and wiser than children. Children tend to be a bit more gullible. But I am not against banning ads for alcoholic drinks and fattening foods. We have banned smoking ads already. I think that is a great idea.

thumbsup

Quote:

Adults normally are a bit more mature and wiser than children. Children tend to be a bit more gullible. But I am not against banning ads for alcoholic drinks and fattening foods. We have banned smoking ads already. I think that is a great idea.

thumbsup

That is hopefully correct.Children do not buy the groceries for a family.The adults that are a bit more mature and wiser than children do.

No is still a simple very effective word to use.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Originally Posted By: bonnie

Food corporations are not in charge of raising children,parents are.

If parents are stupid enough to let children determine to purchase sugar sweetened cereal because of television,they have more serious problems as parents than sugar cereal

Quote:

It is amazing to me the number of people so spiteful and jealous of a few food stamps a poor family receives to survive.

700.00 a month per family of four is not to be sneezed at. But I said nothing about denying them food stamps.Using your reasoning we should be able to determine what they buy and how much

Originally Posted By: karl
If sugary cereal advertising can be banned from children's programs, why not ban ads for fattening foods and alcoholic drinks during sports programs, or anytime, for that matter?

thumbsup

Let 'er rip, Shane. Put a limit on total TV exposure. Automatic shutoff after two hours per day. Let's see what else we can do to be the surrogate parents to these people who have already given up most of their personal responsibility because of do-gooders separating them from the consequences of their own stupidity.

This discussion is making me more and more nauseous, the more you want to intervene. I gotta go somewhere else.

Put a limit on total TV exposure. Automatic shutoff after two hours per day.

That would be just as extreme as letting the food industry corporations run rough-shod over our children as they are doing now. There is a middle ground. Ban the advertising that promotes harmful products. That is reasonable.

Originally Posted By: karl
Put a limit on total TV exposure. Automatic shutoff after two hours per day.

That would be just as extreme as letting the food industry corporations run rough-shod over our children as they are doing now. There is a middle ground. Ban the advertising that promotes harmful products. That is reasonable.

Can you show me where it explains how the food industry controls items at the grocery store.No one can run roughshod over your children unless you stand back and allow it. Especially advertising on tv

OK, just take a look around folks. How many overweight children are there in the US? This wasn't so a generation ago. Please do not tell me that parents were better parents a generation ago. What has happened is that the food corporations have taken over the children's minds. They need to be stopped. This is a public health issue. Parents cannot take on the bog food corporations alone. Parents need help. The government needs to help the parents. Yes, ban the bad advertising. Ban the use of trans-fats. And let's take the salt shakers off the restaurant tables.

Children are fat now because of diet and lack of exercise.

Quote:
Parents cannot take on the bog food corporations

The food corporations do not have control over childrens minds,parents should and they should be able to say no.

If they have lost control over a box of cereal,God help them when the little tyrants turn 16

I am more concerned about the corporate tyrants that are chasing profit at the cost of our children. God help us.

My children get plenty of exercise. They still have recess and P.E. class at school. Athletic departments in our schools are growing, not shrinking.

However of those children that are not physically active there is a debate in the medical community. Does the lack of activity cause the obesity or does the obesity cause the lack of activity? Many of these children are overweight before they are even starting school. The food corporations get them before the teachers do. Lord have mercy.

I am more concerned about the corporate tyrants that are chasing profit at the cost of our children. God help us.

My children get plenty of exercise. They still have recess and P.E. class at school. Athletic departments in our schools are growing, not shrinking.

• Members

Originally Posted By: Shane

Nost schools have P.E etc

I am a lot more concerned about parents that blame food corporations than taking responsibility for their children.

Quote:
However of those children that are not physically active there is a debate in the medical community. Does the lack of activity cause the obesity or does the obesity cause the lack of activity? Many of these children are overweight before they are even starting school. The food corporations get them before the teachers do. Lord have mercy.

No food corporation got to my children.They also understood the word no if what they wanted was not what we thought they should have.

TV did not raise them ,neither did big food corporations

I have to agree with Bonnie on these last number of posts between you and her. Even EGW says that the parents should be in control of there children in every area. And I do believe that parents a generation ago were better parents. I know that this is a generalizational (sp) statement, because there are some parents that are better parents than there parents were. But I think that parents a generation ago and beyond demanded more discipline than they do now, overall.

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Quote:

I have to agree with Bonnie on these last number of posts between you and her. Even EGW says that the parents should be in control of there children in every area. And I do believe that parents a generation ago were better parents. I know that this is a generalizational (sp) statement, because there are some parents that are better parents than there parents were. But I think that parents a generation ago and beyond demanded more discipline than they do now, overall.

pk

I don't believe the lobbyist for food are lobbying to make sure potato chips are purchased by the poor.

I do agree with you on parenting.Most today almost seem afraid of their own kids.

If they cannot control diet and excerise while children are young,God help those parents when they turn 16

What parents should do and what they do do are two different things. We have to live in reality and not a world of how things should be. The reality is that we have an obesity epidemic in our society. Public policy needs to respond to that reality. If all the parents were doing what they should be doing that wouldn't be the reality that it is.

Parents are letting food corporations run rough shod with the nation's children. We can't take away all these children from their parents and set up huge orphanages. We can ban high-sugar and high-fat advertising from children's programing.

Quote:
What parents should do and what they do do are two different things. We have to live in reality and not a world of how things should be. The reality is that we have an obesity epidemic in our society. Public policy needs to respond to that reality. If all the parents were doing what they should be doing that wouldn't be the reality that it is.

The reality is that taking the silly step of removing salt is meaningless.

Quote:
Parents are letting food corporations run rough shod with the nation's children. We can't take away all these children from their parents and set up huge orphanages. We can ban high-sugar and high-fat advertising from children's programing.

Maybe the better act would be is making parents accountable instead of the food corporations.

If you control what your children watch and how much you wouldn't have this problem.

The government should not be intruding in the lives of american citizens. I will eat any amount of salt I choose

Quote:

Well, I will agree that it may not be enough. A warning label should probably be put on salt shakers too.

The amount of salt consumed while eating out isn't going to make any difference whatsoever.

Quote:
Perhaps we should make all the Muslims and Jews hug and eat meals together but I don't see that happening. I prefer to live in the real world and come up with real solutions that actually produce results.

Comparing the issues between Muslims and Jews to salt consumption is silly and somewhat demeaning.

Your real solutions are to have the government take care of us from cradle to grave.

Salt is the new danger for awhile,what comes next.

In time to come christians will find all the government control they seem to wish for now

Well, I will agree that it may not be enough. A warning label should probably be put on salt shakers too.

There should be a warning label on water, then. Too much water will make you sick. And ice cream, soda pop, crackers, chips, cookies, cake, gum, many nutritional supplements, protein powder. In fact, there should be warnings on food in general (too much will make you fat and lead to chronic disease.)

But shouldn't the nanny state be concerned about other things as well? What about thoughts? The wrong kinds of thoughts will make you sick. We need the thought police on this and pronto. Also weather. Changes in weather can aggravate disease. We need warning labels on the weather.

Originally Posted By: shane

There should be a warning label on water, then. Too much water will make you sick. And ice cream, soda pop, crackers, chips, cookies, cake, gum, many nutritional supplements, protein powder. In fact, there should be warnings on food in general (too much will make you fat and lead to chronic disease.)

But shouldn't the nanny state be concerned about other things as well? What about thoughts? The wrong kinds of thoughts will make you sick. We need the thought police on this and pronto. Also weather. Changes in weather can aggravate disease. We need warning labels on the weather.

How arrogant for some to think they should be allowed to regulate something like salt intake,even scarier are those willing to not only hand over but push our personal responsibilities on the government so we can be cared for properly. How ever did our forbears survive something as dangerous as salt.

SDA's seem as eager for the nanny state as secular citizens. We know that someday our personal freedoms will be taken but we just can't wait to help them out.

Your real solutions are to have the government take care of us from cradle to grave.

Please quote and reference the post where I said the government should take care of us from cradle to grave. Or you can just apologize for bearing false witness. I will certainly accept your apology.