ClubAdventist is back!

Bible PROPHECY for the ENDtime

jsm

"Had the Adventists in the early days still trusted to the guiding Hand that had been with them in their past experience, they would have seen of the salvation of God. If all who had labored unitedly in the work of 1844 had received the third angel's message and proclaimed it in the power of the Holy Spirit, the Lord would have wrought mightily with their efforts. A flood of light would have been shed upon the world. Years ago the inhabitants of the earth would have been warned, the closing work would have been completed, and Christ would have come for the redemption of His people." 8T 116 (1904)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jsm

• Musicman1228

• Dr. Rich

• John317

Top Posters In This Topic

John, I suggest caution when you say, “SDAs date the beginning of the sounding of the 7th trumpet as 1844.”

While MANY SDAs do, there have always been differences of opinion among SDAs on the ENTIRE series of the seven trumpets.

Consider this from the SDA BC, vol 7, p 787 about TWO POINTS OF VIEW among SDAs on the “silence IN HEAVEN” when the seventh seal is opened: [Read Revelation 8:1-6].

They write:

“This silence has been explained in at least two ways.”

“Some hold that this silence in heaven, following upon the terrible events that take place on earth immediately preceding the second coming (ch 6:14-16), is caused by the heavenly hosts’ having left the celestial courts to accompany Christ to the earth (see Matt. 25:31).

“ANOTHER VIEW [as in my paper at: http://endtimesurprise.blogspot.com/] explains this silence in heaven to be a silence of awesome expectation (cf. references to silence in EW 15, 16 [silence of people on earth]; DA 693 [silence by all IN HEAVEN during the final suffering and agony of Christ]. Thus far the heavenly courts have been portrayed as filled with praise and song. Now all is quiet, in awesome expectancy of the THINGS THAT ARE ABOUT TO OCCUR. So understood, this silence of the seventh seal FORMS A BRIDGE between the opening of the seals and the blowing of the trumpets, for it implies that WITH THE SEVENTH SEAL THE REVELATION IS NOT COMPLETE—there is still more to be explained concerning God’s program of events in the great controversy with evil.”

WHAT? May I suggest you put EGW's views aside and use your own brain and eyes to read what the eyewitnesses of Jesus had to write about all of this? Only ONE view is correct, either the 7th trumpet blew and all of the first 6 trumpets have blown--or NOT! If this thread is intended to discover what is the real truth, then don't vacillate.

Or--do you want to be like the Pharisees who thought they knew the truth so they refused to understand what Jesus told them? It is very clear that the time of trouble has not happened yet, therefore none of the trumpets have sounded and neither have the 144,000 been sealed.

jsm said that the passage below indicates probation closing for the world. This cannot possibly be IF you take what Jesus said to be actual literal prophecy rather than just a good story (parable).

(1) “Then the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went to meet the bridegroom.   (2) Five of them were foolish, and five were wise.   (3) For when the foolish took their lamps, they took no oil with them,   (4) but the wise took flasks of oil with their lamps.   (5) As the bridegroom was delayed, they all became drowsy and slept.   (6) But at midnight there was a cry, ‘Here is the bridegroom! Come out to meet him.’   (7) Then all those virgins rose and trimmed their lamps.   (8) And the foolish said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.’   (9) But the wise answered, saying, ‘Since there will not be enough for us and for you, go rather to the dealers and buy for yourselves.’   (10) And while they were going to buy, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the marriage feast, and the door was shut.   (11) Afterward the other virgins came also, saying, ‘Lord, lord, open to us.’   (12) But he answered, ‘Truly, I say to you, I do not know you.’   (13) Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour. Matt.25-1-13.

The highlighted portion indicates that the Bridegroom came when all 10 bridesmaids were sound asleep. If you take this to mean the whole world then the inescapable conclusion would need to be that the World (the 10 Bridesmaids) slept right through the Great Tribulation with it's 7 Trumpets and 7 Bowls of Wrath, the Mark of the Beast and all of the ensuing hell on earth when Satan appears as an angel of light claiming to be God.

The purpose of the Great Tribulation, especially the 7 Trumpets IS TO WAKE UP THE WORLD to the fact that God is about to come back to earth. How is it possible for anyone to sleep through the last day events such that they would not know about it until the very end, when they are awakened to meet their doom?

No, this is impossible, so there must be another explanation as to who the 10 sleeping Bridesmaids are and who it is that wakes them up. Note: In this prophecy of Jesus there is NO MENTION of the Bride at all.

No, this is impossible, so there must be another explanation as to who the 10 sleeping Bridesmaids are and who it is that wakes them up.

There is MM. It was a parable, to illustrate a point. Jesus never said it was a prophecy, nor does the Bible call it a prophecy in any other place.

Jesus used several parables that day. All to illustrate the same point. And the point was/is "Be ready for the second coming. And don't be found lacking in that day. Be prepared."

Isn't the parable of the ten virgins a parable?

The generally accepted rules for interpreting a parable is that a parable is designed to illustrate some main point, and one should not try to give additional meaning to the elements of the parable not relating to this main point.

Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God.

The words Jesus used is "At that time..." or "Then..." meaning that this event would take place at the time Jesus had been talking about in Matthew 24 (please note that Matthew did NOT place any chapter break in his book) and since Jesus had been talking about the coming like a thief, then He simply provided a picture (like a coloring book) of what this event will be liken to --- AT THAT TIME!

So NO! It can't in anyway be a parable or a simply story about the world. Jesus did NOT say that ALL of the people in the world will be like the bride's maids, He said that the Kingdom of Heaven will be like them. There is a big difference between the Kingdom of Heaven and all of the people living in the world.

Yes, I know that this view is confusing to most only because they have been told lies from everyone before. But believing a lie for a long time does not make it the truth. Even James White wrote in his book called "Matthew 24", that the 10 virgins had to be the Seventh-day Adventist Church, so why is this so hard to understand for Adventists?

Isn't the parable of the ten virgins a parable?

The generally accepted rules for interpreting a parable is that a parable is designed to illustrate some main point, and one should not try to give additional meaning to the elements of the parable not relating to this main point.

No where in the account of Matthew 24-25 does Jesus ever say this is a parable or listen to a parable. The account is in response to a question His disciples asked about the distruction of the temple (which they were sure would happen at the end of the age and associated with His coming). In fact, Jesus is giving a prophecy, which contains events complete with symbols and timing and outcomes. Even if this were a parable it would have a specific application, such as the parable of the Landowner, in Matthew 22. In verse 45 we read, "And when the chief priests and Pharisees heard His parables, they understood He was speaking about them". The religious leaders were the chief priests and Pharasees and although they knew Jesus was speaking in parables they recognized that these parables applied to them literally. So just because it may or may not be a parable, it always has a literal and specific application.

Mar 4:26 And he said, So is the kingdom of God, as if a man should cast seed into the ground;

Mar 4:30,31 And he said, With what shall we liken the kingdom of God? or with what comparison shall we compare it?

It is like a grain of mustard seed, which, when it is sown in the earth, is less than all the seeds that be in the earth:

Mat 25:1 Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, who took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.

Mat 25:14 For the kingdom of heaven is as a man traveling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods.

Parables all.

Mar 4:26 And he said, So is the kingdom of God, as if a man should cast seed into the ground;

Mar 4:30,31 And he said, With what shall we liken the kingdom of God? or with what comparison shall we compare it?

It is like a grain of mustard seed, which, when it is sown in the earth, is less than all the seeds that be in the earth:

Mat 25:1 Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, who took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.

Mat 25:14 For the kingdom of heaven is as a man traveling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods.

Parables all.

Richard,

You have been wrong about so many things why am I surprised that you would be wrong about this. You are denying that Jesus Christ is a prophet, apparently not understanding that He is the Greatest Prophet. Do you also deny that He is the Passover Lamb, purchasing the Kingdom of Heaven from the world? Next you will tell me that Jesus was born according to 'natural' processes of the flesh and not due to divine action of God. Is it your desire to limit the identity and function of the Son of God to the singular element of Savior? Jesus Christ is SO much more than that.

I'm not denying any of those things. You're denying that this was a parable. He used two in this chapter, back to back. Matt 25:1, and Matt 25:14. In case you didn't grasp it in the first one, He put the same thing in a different way in the second one.

Here's the tip off. Nay the tip offs. He said the same thing twice, using two totally different stories.= (parable) And, anytime He starts off by comparing something to something else, and saying "it is likened unto", or "it is as a" =(PARABLE)

The tip off is the phrase "Then the Kingdom of Heaven will be like . . ."

As Dr. Rich pointed out "Then" means "At that time". At what time? At the time the Master comes to the Faithful and Wise Bondservant. I don't blame you for not seeing this, it's not your fault. From the perspective of Jesus "At that time" is a future event, which means it IS prophecy. You won't see this, of course, because the thought that you could be wrong is anathema to you. But you just might be wrong and in that case it would be important to you know the interpretation of the prophecy, just in case. Let me know if I can help with this.

There are four series of sevens in Revelation: Churches, seals, trumpets, last plagues. There is also a list of four sevens in Leviticus 26 that show a straight-line series of events, rather than recapitulations.

18 ‘And after all this, if you do not obey Me, then I will punish you seven times more for your sins.

21 ‘Then, if you walk contrary to Me, and are not willing to obey Me, I will bring on you seven times more plagues, according to your sins.

24 then I also will walk contrary to you, and I will punish you yet seven times for your sins.

27 ‘And after all this, if you do not obey Me, but walk contrary to Me,  28 then I also will walk contrary to you in fury; and I, even I, will chastise you seven times for your sins.

44 Yet for all that, when they are in the land of their enemies, I will not cast them away, nor shall I abhor them, to utterly destroy them and break My covenant with them; for I am the LORD their God.

Now notice the bridge between each series of seven in Revelation:

1. At the end of the church series, Jesus told John: “Come up here, and I will show you things which must take place after these things.”

2. At the end of the seven seals, John saw a tie-in with the trumpets as part of the 7th seal period: “When He opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven for about half an hour. And I saw the seven angels who stand before God, and to them were given seven trumpets.”

3. After the seventh trumpet sounds, John said: “Then the temple of God was opened in heaven.” John said the same thing just before the seven last plagues: “After these things I looked, and behold, the temple of the tabernacle of the testimony was opened in heaven. And out of the temple came the seven angels having the seven plagues.”

They all tie together as a historic series, and none are recapitulations. The only primary recapitulation begins in Revelation 12:1.

The only safe course is to compare scripture with scripture:

"For precept must be upon precept...line upon line...here a little, there a little." Isaiah 28:10.

Daniel was shown recapitulations because his visions were given over many years; and not in a single day, like what John saw. Remember that the Revelation is called "this prophecy" -- singular.

• Moderators

Quote:
jsm: I suggest caution when you say, “SDAs date the beginning of the sounding of the 7th trumpet as 1844.”

While MANY SDAs do, there have always been differences of opinion among SDAs on the ENTIRE series of the seven trumpets.

OK, so you saying the 7th trumpet has not sounded or even begun to sound yet, right?

Could you give the names of Adventist writers or teachers who did not believe the 7th trumpet began in 1844?

We know that Rev. 10: 19 was at least partially fulfilled in 1844, when people's attention was drawn to the temple of God and to His holy law there. This prophecy, of course, comes after the seventh trumpet begins to sound.

I'll have to check out my grandfather's pamphlets on the topic. He was an SDA pastor/evangelist who wrote about the trumpets in the 1930s. Some of his writings are in the Heritage Room in Loma Linda. I read them a year or more ago, but I don't remember the details.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

John,

A prophecy is either fulfilled or it isn't, there is no such thing as a partial fulfillment. All prophecy has conditions (specifications) that must be met for the prophecy to be fulfilled. And these conditions are always in a specific order. If either the conditions or order is not precisely met then the prophecy is not fulfilled.

An example of this is Messianic prophecy; these prophecies were issued by OT prophets. When Jesus was born as the Messiah each of these prophecies about the birth were precisely fulfilled RIGHT THEN. There were no 'partial fulfillments concerning where, when, how and by whom the prophecy specifications were met. This is the same with end time prophecy.

Prophecy is either fulfilled or it isn't, no middle ground.

The tip off is the phrase "Then the Kingdom of Heaven will be like . . ."

As Dr. Rich pointed out "Then" means "At that time". At what time? At the time the Master comes to the Faithful and Wise Bondservant. I don't blame you for not seeing this, it's not your fault. From the perspective of Jesus "At that time" is a future event, which means it IS prophecy. You won't see this, of course, because the thought that you could be wrong is anathema to you. But you just might be wrong and in that case it would be important to you know the interpretation of the prophecy, just in case. Let me know if I can help with this.

Appearantly the thought that YOU could be wrong is anathema to you also. You state this as if it were some known fact, when all you have for proof is your own speculation. Thats all it is. SPECULATION. There is no principle that you can point to from the Bible that states this. Sorry but I don't base my beliefs on other people's speculation. I won't even base a belief on my own speculation.

Also you have failed to notice that the word "THEN" and the phrase "LIKENED UNTO" is used in other parables also. Even the ones that plainly state that they are parables. Also the woed "WHEN" is future tense, just like the word "THEN".

Mat 13:18,19 Hear you therefore the parable of the sower.

When any one hears the word of the kingdom, and understands it not,..... then comes the wicked one, and catches away that which was sown in his heart. This is he who received seed by the way side.

Mat 13:33 Another parable spoke he unto them; The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven,

Mat 25:14,16 For the kingdom of heaven is as a man traveling into a far country.....Then he that had received the five talents

Your method of arriving at truth MM, is inconsistent, and sorely lacking. If you could point to a principle of interpretation in the Bible that upheld your view, then I would be compelled to look at it, but you can't. All you have is speculation.

Also with parables, there are usually some words of past tense, as if the story had already happened.

Mat 25:2 And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.

Mat 25:3 They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:

Mat 25:5 While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.

Mat 25:6 And at midnight there was a cry made,

Mat 25:7 Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.

So you see, there is nothing to suggest that this was anything other that what it was/is. A PARABLE.

Mat 24:42 Watch therefore: for you know not what hour your Lord does come.

Mat 24:44 Therefore be you also ready: for in such an hour as you think not the Son of man comes.

The fact that you see something that simply isn't there, should not be a reason for pride. All it does is show that you are following your own inclinations, and not the Holy Spirit. Truth is real, not imagined.

By Jon Paulein, On-line at http://www.andrews.edu/~jonp/inter7t.htm#The%20Seventh

“In Rev 10:7 it is stated explicitly that the "mystery of God (to mustêrion tou theou)" will be consummated (etelesthê) at that point in history when the seventh angel is about to sound his trumpet (hotan mellê salpizein). The mystery of God is an acronym for the gospel in the New Testament (Rom 16:25,26, cf. Col 1:25-28; Eph 6:19). Thus, the sounding of the SEVENTH trumpet signals THE CLOSE OF the great work of PROCLAIMING THE GOSPEL to every nation, kindred, language and people (Rev 14:6,7)"

“Until recently Adventist interpreters have rejected any futurist understanding of the first six trumpets. In the last few years, however, some have suggested that the seven trumpets have an end-time fulfillment, either in addition to or in place of the historical understandings of the past. This interprtation finds support in Ellen White's statement in letter 109, 1890, ‘Solemn events before us are yet to transpire. Trumpet after trumpet is to be sounded, vial after vial poured out one after another upon the inhabitants of the earth. Scenes of stupendous interest are right upon us.”

“There is no real evidence that [uriah] Smith worked with the text of the trumpets personally. Only one short paragraph could be considered exegetical in even the broadest sense. More than 60% of the 42 pages of material on Rev 8:7-9:21 is quoted from commentators such as Keith, Elliott, Barnes and Litch. Most of the rest is a paraphrase of their works. These commentators merely relate historical events that are supposedly foreshadowed by the imagery of the trumpets. Thus, Uriah Smith bases his interpretation of the trumpets entirely on the work of others. What was the quality of their work? How did they come upon their elaborate historical interpretations?....A serious exegesis of the trumpets will need to move beyond Smith's method and interpretations if it is to be true to the Biblical text.”

“(Edwin R.) Thiele's syllabus on Revelation is far more exegetical than Uriah Smith's book.”

“(C. Mervyn) Maxwell's outline of the trumpets essentially builds on Thiele's work, although he advances considerably in his idealist use of the images, making the trumpets relevant to every situation. Thus, Maxwell's book has a powerful devotional appeal. In terms of scholarly accuracy, however, Maxwell's work essentially shares both the strengths and the weaknesses of Thiele's approach.”

“The first Adventist, of which I am aware, to break in print with the Islamic interpretation of the seven trumpets is Roy Naden. The main obstacle to such a departure has been the apparent endorsement of the Litch-Smith view by Ellen White in GC 334,335. Naden points out, however, that many E. G. White scholars, including Arthur White and Robert Olson, do not consider her language to be an endorsement of the Islamic view.”

“It was E. G. White's hint in Great Controversy that first led me to consider the possibility that the fifth trumpet might be a symbolic portrayal of the secular philosophy that dominates the world today. This interpretation has also been suggested by a number of non-Adventist scholars….All these images point to modern-day secularism. Beliefs such as Marxism, evolution and rationalism have full control of the media with the result that this generation has no God, no morality, no meaning and no hope. In the words of Camus the only logical action to take is suicide. Such a condition is far worse than a literal locust-plague. Communism oppresses many. Ecumenism waters down the faith. Secularism and materialism feed the hunger for God's word with ashes. The final result is spiritualism, when people turn to demons to fulfill their spiritual longings.”

Dr Theodore E. Wade, Jr. (now dead), of Andrews University, explained the continuous sequence of seven seals, seven trumpets, and seven plagues. See it in his very helpful on-line complete Bible Commentary, which site I urge you to save for future reference on all Bible topics: http://www.bibleexplained.com/

Ted wrote: “Just as the seven trumpets unfold in the opening of the seventh seal, so we will find the seven last plagues unfolding within the time of the seventh trumpet.”

That compares favorably with what I have written in

http://endtimesurprise.blogspot.com/

and is based on Bible bridge texts in the Revelation context, as explained earlier.

The fact that you see something that simply isn't there, should not be a reason for pride. All it does is show that you are following your own inclinations, and not the Holy Spirit. Truth is real, not imagined.

The fact is, Richard, we simply see something that you cannot see, at least not yet. You are making a personal judgement that the Holy Spirit is not working with us when, in fact, the Holy Spirit is working with all of us. Truth is real and not imagined, you are right in that. It is also singular and absolute, and knowable.

Instead of just exchanging words, why don't you address my post above, where I point out the problem with your theory.

Words are cheap MM. I know it must be hard to admit that there is something you haven't taken into account, but I am not here to gloat.

Richard, don't cry over spilled milk, neither cry over the inability to see a prophecy when it is one. If you want to keep it just a parable, then be my guest--but don't cry about it.

Ah, I see you don't have anything to say about my post either. Is this what you guys do when somebody stumps you with facts? You try to deflect, and change the subject, by saying things that are not true, and have nothing to do with the conversation?

How comical. Actually it's downright childish. But pathetic too. You would have been better off to act like you didn't see my post, and not say anything.

But now I know you saw it, and have no immediate response. You're going to have to think about those facts awhile huh? From observation, it seems like Biblical facts are really your worst enemy. They are constantly getting in the way of your speculative theology.

I have this sneaking suspicion the seventh trumpet began in 1844 and will end when probation closes and that a reapplication of the trumpets will commence thereafter. Here's a study I wrote back 1995:

THOU MUST PROPHESY AGAIN

INTRODUCTION

God commanded the Remnant Church to preach again the prophecies that led up to the Great Disappointment (minus the time elements). “Thou must prophesy again… [only] there should be time no longer” Revelation 10:11,6. Those prophecies are recorded in Revelation chapters 1-11 (the 7 churches, 7 seals, 7 trumpets, 7 thunders and the 2 witnesses). Thus, the prophecies not only cover the history of the Christian Church (First Advent - 1844), they also cover the future of the Remnant Church (1844 - Second Advent).

Dual application prophecies (one prophecy with two separate applications) contain shared and unshared details. In other words, some of the prophetic details are flexible enough to accommodate both applications (historical and future). However, there are some details that obviously apply only to one or the other time period. How can we know the difference? Usually the immediate or surrounding context makes it clear.

The Bible is full of dual application prophecies. Most notable are the Restoration Promises. The Old Testament prophecies that historical Israel failed to realize will eventually be fulfilled by spiritual Israel (the Remnant) in future. For example, ancient Israel should have fulfilled the battle of Gog and Magog (Ezekiel 38). However, disobedience disqualified them. Thus, spiritual Israel will fulfill them in future. See Revelation 20. It is the flexible nature of dual application prophecy that enables it to be fulfilled either historically or in future.

SEVEN CHURCHES

Anciently the Seven Churches literally manifested the strengths and weaknesses John recorded in the Revelation (1-3). However, they also symbolize the history of the Christian Church, beginning with the Apostolic Church and ending with the Remnant Church. Even a casual reading reflects the dual nature of this prophecy. For example, the “ten days” mentioned in Revelation 2:10 refer to the ten years (303-313) the Roman Emperor (beginning with Diocletian) tried to wipe out Christianity once and for all.

SEVEN SEALS

Historical Application. Historically the seven seals (Revelation 6 and 8:1) symbolize the gospel, the rise and fall of Papal Europe, martyrdom, natural signs and wonders, and the Great Disappointment. Note the following brief summary:

1. Gospel Proclaimed

2. Church Corrupted

3. Papal Europe Established

4. Dark Ages

5. Martyrdom

6. Signs and Wonders

7. Great Disappointment

The Protestant Reformation effectively undermined Papal Europe. The signs and wonders that followed caused a major religious awakening. The Lisbon earthquake (1 November 1755), the Dark Day (19 May 1780), and the Leonid Meteor Shower (13 November 1833) fulfilled the first three natural signs listed under the sixth seal.

It is generally believed that Revelation 6:14-17 and 8:1 are yet future. However, it is possible that they may symbolize the developments that led up to the Great Disappointment. The “scroll” may represent the book of Daniel, which unlocked the prophecies. The faith of the Millerites moved “every mountain” of uncertainty. And although millions responded favorably to the message of Christ’s coming, many “hid themselves” from the wrath to come. Following the day of disappointment there was a period of “silence in heaven” before the truth about the heavenly sanctuary was discovered.

Future Application. “I will shew thee things which must be hereafter” Revelation 4:1. The seven churches (Revelation 1-3) culminate with the Remnant Church, therefore, the future application of the seven seals will probably be fulfilled by the final generation of saints during the enforcement of the mark of the beast. Note the following brief summary:

1. Three Angels’ Messages Proclaimed

2. Opposition and Persecution

3. Economic Imbalance and Chaos

4. Little Time of Trouble

5. Martyrdom

6. Great Time of Trouble

7. Silence

The Remnant Church has been proclaiming the three angels’ messages since 1844. During the enforcement of the mark of the beast (the Sunday Sabbath) the chosen people of God will suffer persecution. Economic chaos and natural disasters will cause the “little of time of trouble” (see Last Day Events, chapter 10). Martyrs will be killed until the close of probation.

During the great time of trouble the glorious manifestations of the Second Advent will wring from faithful lips the agonizing cry – “Who shall be able to stand” Revelation 6:17. Then follows the “silence” of the seventh seal. The answer to their question is found in Revelation 7. The translation generation (the 144,000) will stand to be translated alive when Jesus rewards His people with eternal life.

“The righteous cry with trembling: ‘Who shall be able to stand?’ The angels' song is hushed, and there is a period of awful silence. Then the voice of Jesus is heard, saying: ‘My grace is sufficient for you.’ The faces of the righteous are lighted up, and joy fills every heart. And the angels strike a note higher and sing again as they draw still nearer to the earth.” The Great Controversy, page 641.

SEVEN TRUMPETS

Historical Application. Historically the seven trumpets (Revelation 8-11) symbolize the gradual fall of Western and Eastern Rome, the Ottoman Empire, and the investigative judgment. Note the following brief summary:

The Conquest of Western Rome by:

1. Alaric the Goth

2. Genseric the Vandal

3. Attila the Hun

4. Odoacer the Heruli

The Ottoman Empire:

5. Subjugates Eastern Rome for 150 years (1299-1449)

6. Conquers Eastern Rome (1449)

(a) Collapses 391 years and 15 days later (11 August 1840)

The Heavenly Sanctuary:

7. Investigative Judgment

Future Application. In future the seven trumpets may symbolize events which transpire after the close of probation. See Revelation 8:2-5. When the “angel” (Jesus) finishes the investigative judgment of the living He will declare – “It is done” (Revelation 21:6). His work accomplished Jesus, who had been facing the ark of the covenant, will turn around and with “golden censer” in hand leave the most holy place.

Passing through the holy place on His way to earth Jesus “came and stood at the altar, having a golden censer… and filled it with fire of the altar, and cast it into the earth” Revelation 8:3,5. “Jesus tarried a moment in the outer apartment of the heavenly sanctuary, and the sins which had been confessed while He was in the most holy place were placed upon Satan, the originator of sin, who must suffer their punishment.” Early Writings, page 280.

Once probation closes the trumpets and plagues will wreak havoc. “Trumpet after trumpet is to be sounded, vial after vial poured out one after another upon the inhabitants of the earth.” 7BC, page 982. How long will it last? “And I saw a flaming cloud come where Jesus stood. Then Jesus . . . took His place on the cloud which carried Him to the East, where it first appeared to the saints on earth--a small black cloud which was the sign of the Son of man. While the cloud was passing from the Holiest to the East, which took a number of days, the synagogue of Satan worshipped at the saint's feet.” Maranatha, page 287.

The first four trumpets seem to describe an oceanic asteroid impact. Please see the study entitled – How to Survive the Coming Asteroid Impact. The fifth and sixth trumpets may symbolize the reactions of the unsaved when they realize they have been deceived and are lost forever. Please see the study entitled – Revelation Nine. And the seventh trumpet probably describes the moment God reveals the Ten Commandments. “… the clouds sweep back, and the starry heavens are seen, unspeakably glorious in contrast with the black and angry firmament on either side. The glory of the celestial city streams from the gates ajar. Then there appears against the sky a hand holding two tables of stone folded together. Says the prophet: ‘The heavens shall declare His righteousness: for God is judge Himself.’ Psalm 50:6.” The Great Controversy, page 639.

SEVEN THUNDERS

Historical Application. Historically the seven thunders (Revelation 10) were fulfilled during the Millerite Movement. “The special light given to John which was expressed in the seven thunders was a delineation of events which would transpire under the first and second angels' messages. It was not best for the people to know these things, for their faith must necessarily be tested. In the order of God most wonderful and advanced truths would be proclaimed. The first and second angels' messages were to be proclaimed, but no further light was to be revealed before these messages had done their specific work. This is represented by the angel standing with one foot on the sea, proclaiming with a most solemn oath that time should be no longer.” 7BC, page 971.

Future Application. In future the Remnant Church will once again endure the bitter-sweet experience that attends the proclamation of the three angels’ messages. See Revelation 10. “In this time of persecution the faith of the Lord's servants will be tried. They have faithfully given the warning, looking to God and to His word alone. God's Spirit, moving upon their hearts, has constrained them to speak. Stimulated with holy zeal, and with the divine impulse strong upon them, they entered upon the performance of their duties without coldly calculating the consequences of speaking to the people the word which the Lord had given them.

“They have not consulted their temporal interests, nor sought to preserve their reputation or their lives. Yet when the storm of opposition and reproach bursts upon them, some, overwhelmed with consternation, will be ready to exclaim: ‘Had we foreseen the consequences of our words, we would have held our peace.’ They are hedged in with difficulties. Satan assails them with fierce temptations. The work which they have undertaken seems far beyond their ability to accomplish. They are threatened with destruction. The enthusiasm which animated them is gone; yet they cannot turn back. Then, feeling their utter helplessness, they flee to the Mighty One for strength. They remember that the words which they have spoken were not theirs, but His who bade them give the warning. God put the truth into their hearts, and they could not forbear to proclaim it...

“As the opposition rises to a fiercer height, the servants of God are again perplexed; for it seems to them that they have brought the crisis. But conscience and the word of God assure them that their course is right; and although the trials continue, they are strengthened to bear them. The contest grows closer and sharper, but their faith and courage rise with the emergency. Their testimony is: ‘We dare not tamper with God's word, dividing His holy law; calling one portion essential and another nonessential, to gain the favor of the world. The Lord whom we serve is able to deliver us. Christ has conquered the powers of earth; and shall we be afraid of a world already conquered?’” The Great Controversy, page 608-610.

TWO WITNESSES

Historical Application. Historically the two witnesses (Revelation 11) represent the Old and New Testaments of the Word of God, which witnessed undercover during the 1,260 years of papal persecution (538-1798). Just before this period closed, for three and half years, thousands of Holy Bibles were publicly destroyed during the French Revolution (1793-1797). Since then the popularity of the Bible has been astronomical. During the “42 months” Jesus, our heavenly High Priest, measured the earthly worshippers while He performed the daily services in the holy place. But in 1844 He moved into the most holy place to begin the investigative judgment.

Future Application. In future the two witnesses may very well represent the thousands of faithful saints who proclaim the three angels’ messages during the final crisis. Concerning His chosen people Jesus says – “Ye are my witnesses” Isaiah 43:12. Shortly before the close of probation the “beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit” (Papal Europe Restored) will be responsible for the execution of large numbers of God’s faithful witnesses. However, not long thereafter during the outpouring of the plagues they will behold the special resurrection. Thousands will die in a massive earthquake unsettling the misplaced faith of “the tenth part” of those who sided with the great “city” (Babylon). Out of fear they will glorify God.