ClubAdventist is back!

What is the Gospel?

skyblue888

On Topix, another adventist forum where there are many adventists and ex-adventists, someone asked, What is the Gospel? I replied by presenting Paul's version of it. Hope you are blessed by it

The apostle Paul wrote, "So that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus Christ, to testify to the Gospel of the grace of God." Acts 20:24.

Then in verse 32 he adds: "And now, my brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of His grace, which is able to build you up and to give you an inheritance among all them that are sanctified."

In the midst of the throne we see One in whose hands and feet and side are the marks of the suffering endured to reconcile man to God. We see a Father, infinite, dwelling in light unapproachable, yet who receives us to Himself through the merits of His son and the command is given: "The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen." 2 Thess.3:18. This is the word of the Gospel, the word of His grace which is the voice of God from Heaven speaking to the soul. It is the voice of rejoicing and salvation! (Ps.118:15)

If we are trusting in the merits of Jesus Christ for our acceptance with God and are hungering and thirsting for the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ to be with us and our ears have been opened to hear the voice of God from Heaven saying, "The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all," and we respond by saying "Amen," then the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ is immediately with us for "He speaks and it is done!" Psalm 33:9.

And the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ is "exceedingly abundant with faith and love." See 1 Tim.1:14. These are some of the "unsearchable riches" of the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ. See Eph.1:7.

So through the merits of the blood of Christ (Rom.3:25), we are to come to God just as we are, sinful, helpless, dependent, and then we are to hearken unto the voice of His word saying to us, "Grace be with you" (1 Tim.6:21) and it is so and His grace is able to build us up into a spiritual house, an habitation of God through the Spirit.(1 Peter 2:5; Acts 20:32; Eph.2:22)

We need not wait until we have made a suitable repentance before we may have His grace. Unless we have His grace to help our infirmities we cannot form a Christian character. We may have His grace even now. "Now is the accepted time. Now is the day of salvation." 2 Cor.6:2.

"As sin reigned unto death, so might grace reign through righteousness unto everlasting life." Rom.5:21.

Thus "by faith we have access into this grace in which we stand" (Rom.5:1) and the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ is made manifest in obedience to all the commandments of God.

This is "the obedience of faith" which is "the obedience of Christ." (Rom.16:24-26; 2 Cor.10:5)

And "the grace of life" thus imparted is in like manner sustained, by every word that proceeds out of the MOUTH of God.(1 Peter 3:7; Matt.4:4)

"Grace unto you and peace be multiplied." 1 Peter 1:2. Amen!

"This is the true grace of God in which we stand!" 1 Peter 5:12.

sky

"By the grace of God I am what I am." 1 Cor.15:10.

"The merits of His sacrifice are sufficient to present to the Father in our behalf." S.C.36.

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robert

• pnattmbtc

• John317

• Dr. Rich

• Moderators

"The Good News is about God’s Son, Jesus Christ our Lord." Rom 1:3 NCV

"Now, brothers and sisters, I want you to remember the Good News I brought to you. You received this Good News and continue strong in it. And you are being saved by it if you continue believing what I told you. If you do not, then you believed for nothing. I passed on to you what I received, of which this was most important: that Christ died for our sins, as the Scriptures say;" 1 Cor 15:1-3 NCV

The gospel concerns the kingdom of God. "And this gospel, of the kingdom, shall be preached in all the world and then shall the end come" Matthew 24:14.

The central theme and focus of Jesus teaching and ministry was about the kingdom. He never emphesized His death, He emphesized His kingdom. Look throughout the gospels and you will see parables, teachings, and analogies used in context of the kingdom.

Daniel 7:27 'Then the sovereignty, the dominion, and the greatness of all the kingdoms under the whole heaven will be given to the people of the saints of the Highest One; His kingdom will be an everlasting kingdom, and all the dominions will serve and obey Him.'

Revelation 11:15 And the seventh angel sounded; and there arose loudvoices in heaven, saying, " The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord and of His Christ and He will reign forever and ever."

To me, the Gospel is summed up by these words: "When you seen Me, you've seen the Father."

Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God.

• Moderators

To me, the Gospel is summed up by these words: "When you seen Me, you've seen the Father."

And how is this good news for me?

The Great Controversy is in regards to God's character. Satan has misrepresented God's character, fashioning God as one like himself: severe, harsh, petty, and self-serving. It's Good News not only for you, but for all created beings, that God is in reality not like this, but like Jesus Christ.

Our mental picture of God drives everything in regards to our relationship with Him, as well as our relationship to others, and our own well being.

Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God.

Indeed, only through the merits of Christ can we approach God.

But once there, we receive the indwelling of the Holy Spirit (the Kingdom of God) by faith.

Now we have to follow the directions of the indwelling Holy Spirit in our lives.

If we do not do that, then the merits will amount to nothing.

We will not be saved walking after the flesh.

We will only be saved walking after the Spirit.

But the Merits of Christ, encapsulated in the "blood of Christ" in the Bible are the only means by which this gift can be appropriated and acted upon.

It is the doorway into the abiding experience with Christ.

This is my understanding.

Mark :-)

The best wisdom is always second hand...

the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation Rom 1:16

For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. 1 Cor 1:18

The message to SARDIS is WAKE UP, because if you don't 'I will come upon you as a thief, and you will not know at what time I will come AGAINST you."

This carries over to the Laodiceans where in God accuses them of being lukewarm, believing that they are in need of nothing-read; don't bother giving me any new truth because the old truth is all i need. THEN God says "buy from me gold refined by fire, so that you may be rich, and white garments so that you may clothe yourself and the shame of your nakedness may not be seen, and salve to anoint your eyes, so that you may see."

Before anyone can buy from God the 'gold' of truth they must first admit to God that they are "wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked," that they don't know everything, and that they will make themselves available to learn the truth from the most unlikely sources.

I tell you the truth, that is how the devil wants you to think of him, because then he can present himself as kind, loving, and understanding and you will think it is God. This is what Jesus was speaking when He said "Beware of wolves that come to you in sheep's clothing". Deception can manifest in many forms, sadism to the sadist and evangelicalism to the "saved". The devil is not too proud to customize his deception to the preferences of his prey.

But the Merits of Christ, encapsulated in the "blood of Christ" in the Bible are the only means by which this gift can be appropriated and acted upon.

It is the doorway into the abiding experience with Christ.

It's not just the doorway, right? We don't stop needing the "Merits of Christ" after entering "into the abiding experience with Christ," do we?

I tell you the truth, that is how the devil wants you to think of him, because then he can present himself as kind, loving, and understanding and you will think it is God.

You're saying that the devil wants us to think of God as himself (i.e., like the devil really is, which is self-seeking, harsh, and severe), so that he can present himself as being like God (loving, kind, and understanding), so that we will think he is God?

God really is king, loving, and understanding. Satan is harsh, severe, and self-seeking. Satan presents God as having his own attributes of character to deceive us. We become like the God we worship. By beholding, we are transformed.

That is what I am saying. When someone says that the God of the "Old Testament" is harsh, cold and exacting, and the God of the "New Testament" is kind, warm and forgiving, it is like there are two different Gods. God is the same always, it is the devil that changes to fit the situation. If we find ourselves defining God we have effectively put Him in a box. It is impossible to put God in a box; therefore it is impossible to define God.

That is what I am saying. When someone says that the God of the "Old Testament" is harsh, cold and exacting, and the God of the "New Testament" is kind, warm and forgiving, it is like there are two different Gods.

Why then, do I catch so much flack when I propose Christ's testimony of highest value, superceding all other "New Testiment" testimonies?

Jesus said to know God is eternal life and to know God through Jesus His Christ.john 17:3-4

So this is the Good News because The Christ showed what God is like.

Which means we,if we want to know the truth about God in the OT and how those actions we have trouble with,are the most loving thing God could have done in those circumstances,then instead of taking those things out of context and say this is what God was doing we need to read the context and study it also to see what God said before taking those actions and even what Jesus said after taking those actions. Then one can see,as Holy Spirit opens ones eyes to see through your study,Why it was the only thing God could do under the circumstances. Remember Jesus learned the Good News about God from those scriptures :)

Remember,While Jesus never sinned,He did grow up just like all of us do. He pooped in his diapers,He cried for his food (how else does a baby let his parents know they need anything? send an angel? get real)He learned to read and such and such.and throughout He learned about All of God and they way and why they do things the way they do and so He learned that God is not mean in anything they do,the good news, then practiced it throughout His life and death and still does :)and asks us to do the same.

Christopher

JOHN 17:3 and 4

Rom 1:17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

There is another expression in the text which stands at the beginning of this tract:

"For therein [in the gospel] is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith." This expression has been the subject of much learned discussion by theologians, and very few of them are agreed as to its meaning. The fact that learned men are disagreed in regard to it, need not frighten us from it with the thought that it cannot be understood, for we read that things hidden from the wise and prudent are revealed unto babes. If we are but simple enough to accept the obvious Scripture meaning, as explained by the Scriptures, we need not be in darkness.

One of the greatest causes of the failure of many people to understand the book of Romans, and indeed any other portion of Scripture, is a failure to hold to first principles and Bible definitions. Men attempt to define some terms according to their theological training, and find it hard work to make them fit. Then if they at one time accept the Bible definition of a term, they do not adhere to it, but give it some other meaning the next time they meet with it. This can lead to nothing else but confusion.

The cause of the difficulty in understanding this text, is a failure to cling to the Bible definition of the term, "the righteousness of God." We have already seen that it is an expression indicating God's character, and that his character is set forth in the ten commandments. They sum up the whole duty of man, which is to be like God. The law, having been transgressed, cannot, as a matter of course, be perfectly represented in any person's life, and so the gospel was devised, that man might in Christ find the perfect righteousness of the law. The gospel is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that believeth, because it makes manifest the righteousness of God. Not only is the law—the righteousness of God—preached, and its majesty upheld, by the gospel, but by the gospel the fruits of righteousness are made to appear in the life of the believer. {E.J. Waggoner, "Lessons On Faith"}

Why then, do I catch so much flack when I propose Christ's testimony of highest value, superseding all other "New Testament" testimonies?

Where are you getting flack for this? I'd agree with this, and say further that the testimony of Christ supersedes all other testimonies.

Jesus said to know God is eternal life and to know God through Jesus His Christ.john 17:3-4

So this is the Good News because The Christ showed what God is like.

Which means we,if we want to know the truth about God in the OT and how those actions we have trouble with,are the most loving thing God could have done in those circumstances,then instead of taking those things out of context and say this is what God was doing we need to read the context and study it also to see what God said before taking those actions and even what Jesus said after taking those actions. Then one can see,as Holy Spirit opens ones eyes to see through your study,Why it was the only thing God could do under the circumstances. Remember Jesus learned the Good News about God from those scriptures :)

...He learned to read and such and such.and throughout He learned about All of God and they way and why they do things the way they do and so He learned that God is not mean in anything they do,the good news, then practiced it throughout His life and death and still does :)and asks us to do the same.(emphasis mine)

Amen!

Regarding the highlighted part, that's an important point. Christ learned of God from the Scriptures (which, for Him, was the OT, of course). Christ presented the view of God He learned by means of His life and teachings. He had a view of God which was (and still is) far different than others held. Evidently when Christ read the Scriptures, He understood them to be saying something very different about God than others do.

Christ said, in effect, "Let Me be your picture of God!" ("When you've seen Me, you've seen the Father.").

In Christ, we can see God revealed as He really is, and this can get us down the right track in terms of understanding the OT texts. Unfortunately what's often done is Christ's revelation of God is superseded by our misunderstandings of the OT texts. So rather than let the light of Christ penetrate our darkness, we let our darkness stifle the light.

Anyway, the good news is that God really is as Christ presented Him to be, which is, just like Christ Himself! Kind, compassionate, humble, caring, careful, gentle, self-sacrificing, etc. All the things we think of when we think of Christ are how God is.

Great quote of Waggoner's.

"The cause of the difficulty in understanding this text, is a failure to cling to the Bible definition of the term, "the righteousness of God." We have already seen that it is an expression indicating God's character, and that his character is set forth in the ten commandments."

Since the righteousness of God is an expression indicating God's character, we can replace "righteousness of God" for "God's character." If we do this, here's how the rest of Waggoner's quote appears:

Quote:
They sum up the whole duty of man, which is to be like God. God's character cannot, as a matter of course, be perfectly represented in any person's life (because all have sinned), so the gospel was devised, that man might in Christ find God's character. The gospel is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that believeth, because it makes manifest God's character. Not only is the law—God's character—preached, by the gospel, but by the gospel the fruits of God's character are made to appear in the life of the believer.

I think Waggoner's point, that the whole duty of man is to be like God, hits the nail on the head. And, of course, we cannot be like God if we don't know what He is like. So Christ revealed God, that we might see Him in the beautiful fullness of His character. "No one has seen God at any time. His only Son, who knew Him best, has shown us what God is really like" (John 1:18).

Great quote of Waggoner's.

"The cause of the difficulty in understanding this text, is a failure to cling to the Bible definition of the term, "the righteousness of God." We have already seen that it is an expression indicating God's character, and that his character is set forth in the ten commandments."

Since the righteousness of God is an expression indicating God's character, we can replace "righteousness of God" for "God's character." If we do this, here's how the rest of Waggoner's quote appears:

Quote:
They sum up the whole duty of man, which is to be like God. God's character cannot, as a matter of course, be perfectly represented in any person's life (because all have sinned), so the gospel was devised, that man might in Christ find God's character. The gospel is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that believeth, because it makes manifest God's character. Not only is the law—God's character—preached, by the gospel, but by the gospel the fruits of God's character are made to appear in the life of the believer.

I think Waggoner's point, that the whole duty of man is to be like God, hits the nail on the head. And, of course, we cannot be like God if we don't know what He is like. So Christ revealed God, that we might see Him in the beautiful fullness of His character. "No one has seen God at any time. His only Son, who knew Him best, has shown us what God is really like" (John 1:18).

Amen

very like how you put that :)

JOHN 17:3 and 4

It is one thing to want to know what God is like as seen in Jesus Christ, His life and teachings; it is quite another to actually BELIEVE that we have seen. How do we KNOW that what we have been told about Jesus is true, especially when that understanding is mitigated by so many alternative points of view both in the Bible and in secondary sources?

I explained the Gospel very tersely earlier, and thought I would flesh out the thoughts here. I'll be relying heavily on the SOP, as I find that the way she communicates these thoughts to be extremely clear. For those who don't recognize Ellen White in an authoritative sense, please don't read the comments as authoritative, but rater as clear statements of the principles I'm trying to share.

Quote:
But turning from all lesser representations, we behold God in Jesus. Looking unto Jesus we see that it is the glory of our God to give. "I do nothing of Myself," said Christ; "the living Father hath sent Me, and I live by the Father." "I seek not Mine own glory," but the glory of Him that sent Me. John 8:28; 6:57; 8:50; 7:18. In these words is set forth the great principle which is the law of life for the universe. All things Christ received from God, but He took to give. So in the heavenly courts, in His ministry for all created beings: through the beloved Son, the Father's life flows out to all; through the Son it returns, in praise and joyous service, a tide of love, to the great Source of all. And thus through Christ the circuit of beneficence is complete, representing the character of the great Giver, the law of life.

In heaven itself this law was broken. Sin originated in self-seeking. Lucifer, the covering cherub, desired to be first in heaven. He sought to gain control of heavenly beings, to draw them away from their Creator, and to win their homage to himself. Therefore he misrepresented God, attributing to Him the desire for self-exaltation. With his own evil characteristics he sought to invest the loving Creator. Thus he deceived angels. Thus he deceived men. He led them to doubt the word of God, and to distrust His goodness. Because God is a God of justice and terrible majesty, Satan caused them to look upon Him as severe and unforgiving. Thus he drew men to join him in rebellion against God, and the night of woe settled down upon the world.

The earth was dark through misapprehension of God. That the gloomy shadows might be lightened, that the world might be brought back to God, Satan's deceptive power was to be broken. This could not be done by force. The exercise of force is contrary to the principles of God's government; He desires only the service of love; and love cannot be commanded; it cannot be won by force or authority. Only by love is love awakened. To know God is to love Him; His character must be manifested in contrast to the character of Satan. This work only one Being in all the universe could do. Only He who knew the height and depth of the love of God could make it known. Upon the world's dark night the Sun of Righteousness must rise, "with healing in His wings." Mal. 4:2.

The first paragraph speaks of how we behold God in Jesus Christ, as the greatest of all representations of God. It also speaks of the "circuit of beneficence," which is the principle of self-sacrificing love.

The second paragraph speaks of the power of Satan, which is deception, finding its power in misrepresenting God's character.

The third speaks of the heart of the Gospel, which is the revelation of Jesus Christ. The revelation of Jesus Christ is the Gospel, which is the revelation of the truth about God. The revelation of the character of God also reveals the character of the enemy.

Quote:
"And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of His Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night." Rev. 12:10.

Satan saw that his disguise was torn away. His administration was laid open before the unfallen angels and before the heavenly universe. He had revealed himself as a murderer. By shedding the blood of the Son of God, he had uprooted himself from the sympathies of the heavenly beings. Henceforth his work was restricted. Whatever attitude he might assume, he could no longer await the angels as they came from the heavenly courts, and before them accuse Christ's brethren of being clothed with the garments of blackness and the defilement of sin. The last link of sympathy between Satan and the heavenly world was broken. (DA 761)

The Great Controversy is not a war of physical conquest, but of ideas. It is won not by force, but by revelation. The revelation of the truth is what defeated Satan. This (the revelation of the truth) is the power of God unto salvation, the Gospel, for all who believe.

So we've seen that:

1.The conflict is a spiritual one, involving the character of God.

2.The power of Satan is deception, especially in regards to God's character, whom he represents as One like himself.

3.The conflict is one by the revelation of the truth.

The following paragraphs bring out the Gospel in the context of the last days:

Quote:
"Behold," says the Scripture, "the darkness shall cover the earth, and gross darkness the people; but the Lord shall arise upon thee, and His glory shall be seen upon thee." Isa. 60:2.

It is the darkness of misapprehension of God that is enshrouding the world. Men are losing their knowledge of His character. It has been misunderstood and misinterpreted. At this time a message from God is to be proclaimed, a message illuminating in its influence and saving in its power. His character is to be made known. Into the darkness of the world is to be shed the light of His glory, the light of His goodness, mercy, and truth.

This is the work outlined by the prophet Isaiah in the words, "O Jerusalem, that bringest good tidings, lift up thy voice with strength; lift it up, be not afraid; say unto the cities of Judah, Behold your God! Behold, the Lord God will come with strong hand, and His arm shall rule for Him; behold, His reward is with Him, and His work before Him." Isa. 40:9,10.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love. The children of God are to manifest His glory. In their own life and character they are to reveal what the grace of God has done for them.

The light of the Sun of Righteousness is to shine forth in good works--in words of truth and deeds of holiness. (COL 415)

This brings out that the work of Christ's followers is to be the work of Christ: the revelation of God's character.

The Gospel (the revelation of God's character) gives the power to believers to do the work of the Gospel (the revelation of God's character).