• Moderators

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,

With conquering limbs astride from land to land;

Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand

A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame

Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name

Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand

Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command

The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she

With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Perhaps its time to replace this inscription.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bonnie

• Dr. Shane

• karl

• lazarus

Top Posters In This Topic

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,

With conquering limbs astride from land to land;

Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand

A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame

Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name

Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand

Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command

The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she

With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,

No,but it is time for you to stick to what was said.

Legal immigration is not objected to. Come legally and respect the culture you find here. Do not refuse to learn english,that way a job is more likely. If you choose to insulate yourself in a group that recreates the culture you left realize america is not able to cater to your culture or religion.Or at least it shouldn't.

Don't sue to be able to have your prayer time at your demand and be paid for praying.

Come and stick to the immigration rules that allowed you to come.

When you applied for immigration you were to provide a name that would provide for you in the event you could not. This is not the welfare dept.

In border states quit coming illegally and causing terror to those that are citizens of this country.

In places as Nogales quit ransacking the homes of citizens that live there.

Quit drug running for the coyotes when you can't pay their fee.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

Nothing that you posted indicates we are welcoming legal immigrants. Not those that will end up on the taxpayer's dime for years. Not those that create havoc,commit crimes,refuse to learn what you need to be a productive citizen of the country you claimed to want to be a part of.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Basically we need to deport the bad ones and provide a path for the ones working as productive members of society to become legal. I do not support a law that would allow an immigrant that entered the country illegally to become a citizen. However I do believe they should be able to become a legal resident as long as they have not committed any felonies while in the US or used public assistance for three years previous to applying for legal status.

How does the red part fit with the rest of the paragraph above?

Originally Posted By: Shane
Basically we need to deport the bad ones and provide a path for the ones working as productive members of society to become legal. I do not support a law that would allow an immigrant that entered the country illegally to become a citizen. However I do believe they should be able to become a legal resident as long as they have not committed any felonies while in the US or used public assistance for three years previous to applying for legal status.

A big to do over a law that is already a federal law. A law that this governor asked the Obama admin five times for help with the problem.All the posture and prenning by Obama and friends is nothing but a charade.Maybe instead of "misleading" Obama could step forward and explain that he will enforce the law that is already in existence. Instead of the demonizing again towards others.

His posturing over the health care and taking credit for the insurance companies not being able to cancel because of a illness.

I do not support a law that would allow an immigrant that entered the country illegally to become a citizen. However I do believe they should be able to become a legal resident...

Do you understand the difference between a US citizen and a legal resident?

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

"Give me your tired, your poor,

I certain segment of society has always struggled with accepting immigrants. The Chinese built our railroads and then were deported. The Irish faced harsh prejudice when they fled their potato blight. When I was a child many complained about the Vietnamese immigrating to the area where I lived. The carnal nature of the human heart seems to resist those that are different than us. However the inscription on the Statue of Liberty is for the compassionate to use to remind the cold-hearted about what this nation is about. We are a nation of immigrants. Here where I live was settle by many ILLEGAL immigrants from GERMANY. They were suppose to be processed through New York but boatloads of thousands came directly to Galveston.

We are a nation of immigrants. Here where I live was settle by many ILLEGAL immigrants from GERMANY. They were suppose to be processed through New York but boatloads of thousands came directly to Galveston.

No country can survive uncontrolled immigration.

If you believe you have the right to determine who eats and sleeps in your house, you should believe in controlled immigration.

Same principle.

I don't support uncontrolled immigration. I am not even opposed to the Arizona law. However the fact is that thousands of illegal Germans flooded into Texas when it was being settled and Texas survived. Over the past 50 years, thousand of illegal Mexicans have flooded into Texas and Texas is surviving. The sky hasn't fallen yet.

Quote:

I certain segment of society has always struggled with accepting immigrants.

This is not correct. No one has expressed a wish to stop legal immigration.I am pretty sure you know that.It is thee illegal immigration and the resulting mess along the border that is spreading inward.

Quote:
The Chinese built our railroads and then were deported. The Irish faced harsh prejudice when they fled their potato blight. When I was a child many complained about the Vietnamese immigrating to the area where I lived. The carnal nature of the human heart seems to resist those that are different than us.

Totally different world. Because the attitudes at that time were wrong does not make the current situation and those committing the crimes right now.

Even so we must have offered them something as they just kept coming.

Quote:
However the inscription on the Statue of Liberty is for the compassionate to use to remind the cold-hearted about what this nation is about. We are a nation of immigrants. Here where I live was settle by many ILLEGAL immigrants from GERMANY. They were suppose to be processed through New York but boatloads of thousands came directly to Galveston.

Since when is this nation about illegal immigrants? Since when do we wink and nod over the killings that are increasing in numbers,the kidnappings,the looting of homes if a house is left vacant for even a few hours.The killing of a border guard by a teenage illegal immigrant is cold hearted or I am sure his family thinks so.His wife and child don't count in any of this do they?

The german immigrants that by-passed New York had a much different mindset than the illegals of today.They could not rely on welfare.They had to assimilate and learn the language quickly. Not anymore.

At least for awhile I would like to see quota,s again. Let them come but in a orderly fashion so we are not overwhelmed by the sheer numbers and the financial burden that can not be sustained.

It would be nice in the future if you were a little more accurate in your responses. This........I certain segment of society has always struggled with accepting immigrants.

The struggle is with illegal immigrants,the damage,the crime and the drain on our resources

I do not support a law that would allow an immigrant that entered the country illegally to become a citizen. However I do believe they should be able to become a legal resident...

Do you understand the difference between a US citizen and a legal resident?

Both granting citizenship and granting legal resident status to illegal aliens would be legalizing criminal behavior. In that aspect they are the same.

Quote:

Both granting citizenship and granting legal resident status to illegal aliens would be legalizing criminal behavior. In that aspect they are the same.

I don't get all the ruckus. This governor has asked the Obama administration for help 5 times with no response.It is federal law even if it is not enforced.

People are dying,their homes are being broken into, border guards are under attack,kidnappings for ransom are numerous.Just what is it that the left think spells racism. Or those that believe it is somehow cold hearted to want this stopped

McCain Tells Newsmax: Crime, Drugs Sparked Arizona Law; Declares Bipartisanship Dead in Washington

Thursday, 29 Apr 2010 07:00 PM

By: Jim Meyers

Sen. John McCain tells Newsmax that drug cartels and human traffickers have taken over Mexico and pose a direct threat to the security of the United States.

The Arizona Republican and 2008 presidential candidate also says bipartisanship is dead in this Congress as Democrats are intent on ramming through a left-wing agenda . . . asserts that the Obama administration has demonstrated a “fundamental misreading” of Iran and its nuclear ambitions . . . and warns that Americans will likely face a “dramatic” increase in taxes.

In an exclusive interview with Newsmax CEO Christopher Ruddy for Newsmax.tv, McCain explains his support for the tough new immigration law recently signed by Gov. Jan Brewer in his border state.

“I think the legislation is clearly a reaction to the federal government’s failure to carry out its responsibilities and secure our borders,” he says.

McCain notes that in one year, 241,000 illegal immigrants were apprehended crossing the border in the Tucson sector. Figuring they represent only about 25 percent of those who cross, McCain says that means “about a million people have crossed Arizona’s border in just one year. And it’s all mixed up with the drug cartels.

“Last year in Arizona, in the Tucson sector, they apprehended over 1.3 million pounds of marijuana. The drug cartels and the human traffickers have taken over Mexico, and they are a direct threat to the security of the United States of America.

“We all want to fix this problem, but the fact is Arizona reacted.

“By the way, that law does not mean that law enforcement people will stop someone simply to check whether they are in the country illegally or not. There has to be reasonable cause.

“The majority of lawmen that I have talked to in Arizona say they will train their people so there is no racial profiling.”

McCain and his fellow Arizona Sen. Jon Kyl have called for 700 more miles of fencing along the Mexican border, and McCain supports sending 3,000 troops to beef up security on the border. Ruddy asked if there is a long-term solution to the illegal immigration problem.

McCain responds: “Jon Kyl and I have a 10-point plan: 3,000 National Guard troops immediately; over time, 3,000 additional Border Patrol agents being hired; complete the fence; surveillance capabilities; hardship pay for those in the Border Patrol who work under tough conditions. It’s a long list.

“The fact is that we can secure our borders. There are people who will say we can’t secure our borders. We can and we have already in certain areas of the country.”

It is thee illegal immigration and the resulting mess along the border that is spreading inward.

That "criminal behavior" is a misdemeanor. It is like getting a speeding ticket. Have you gotten one of those? If so, do you consider yourself a criminal?

Citizenship and legal residency is not the same. Legal residents cannot vote. Legal residents are not allowed to leave the country for more than six months at a time and return. Legal residents must renew their status every ten years at the cost of about $400.

People are dying,their homes are being broken into, border guards are under attack,kidnappings for ransom are numerous.

This is a result of the drug war going on in Mexico - not illegal immigration. Let's not confuse the two. The drug war is spilling over into Texas, Mexico and California. Much of the spill over is because Americans have been participating in the drug trade. I can guarantee all that Mexico would love for Americans to stop buying illegal drugs as much as Americans would love for Mexican drug lords to get off our boarder.

There is a lot of bad information put out by people who just don't know what they are talking about.

We do need to seal our border and only allow crossing at the bridges and one ferry point that exists. That is a must and that is where the focus has to be. Then, we need to deport every illegal alien that is arrested for a crime in the US. That means when someone is arrested, their legal status must be determined. If there are in the country illegally, they get deported.

Quote:

This is a result of the drug war going on in Mexico - not illegal immigration. Let's not confuse the two. The drug war is spilling over into Texas, Mexico and California. Much of the spill over is because Americans have been participating in the drug trade. I can guarantee all that Mexico would love for Americans to stop buying illegal drugs as much as Americans would love for Mexican drug lords to get off our boarder.

I think I will continue to rely on news report and my nephew that was thrilled to get out of Nogales.

I am not confusing the two.It is very common to have illegals bringing the drugs across the border for the dru lords.If they cannot afford to pay this is the way they

It is not the drug lords that are breaking into the homes for food of ranchers if no one is home.

Originally Posted By: karl

That "criminal behavior" is a misdemeanor. It is like getting a speeding ticket. Have you gotten one of those? If so, do you consider yourself a criminal?

I guess it goes harder on their US benefactors than on the illegals themselves.

Summary of Federal Immigration and Nationality Act Section 8 USC 1324

"Any person who . . . encourages or induces an alien to . . . reside . . . knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that such . . . residence is . . . in violation of law, shall be punished as provided . . . for each alien in respect to whom such a violation occurs . . . fined under title 18 . . . imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both."

Section 274 felonies under the federal Immigration and Nationality Act, INA 274A(a)(1)(A):

A person (including a group of persons, business, organization, or local government) commits a federal felony when she or he:

assists an alien s/he should reasonably know is illegally in the U.S. or who lacks employment authorization, by transporting, sheltering, or assisting him or her to obtain employment, or encourages that alien to remain in the U.S. by referring him or her to an employer or by acting as employer or agent for an employer in any way, or knowingly assists illegal aliens due to personal convictions.

Penalties upon conviction include criminal fines, imprisonment, and forfeiture of vehicles and real property used to commit the crime. Anyone employing or contracting with an illegal alien without verifying his or her work authorization status is guilty of a misdemeanor. Aliens and employers violating immigration laws are subject to arrest, detention, and seizure of their vehicles or property. In addition, individuals or entities who engage in racketeering enterprises that commit (or conspire to commit) immigration-related felonies are subject to private civil suits for treble damages and injunctive relief.

-----------

Many years ago my brother and I were perceived as trying to re-enter the US illegally by walking across from Canada to the US at the Cardston crossing (which closed at 5pm - we were just looking for someone who could tell us if there were another place to cross nearby.) When we got to the US side, the armed border agents told us we could have been legally shot and killed simply for walking across the "no man's land" without proper clearance.

It is very common to have illegals bringing the drugs across the border for the drug lords.

There is some obvious confusion here. I live just 12 miles north of the border. We go to church in Mexico every other week just a few blocks from where the Mexican Army had a shoot-out with drug lords this past winter and 11 people were killed. I know a little bit about what I am talking about.

There are two principle reasons people enter the country illegally. The first is to look for work. Those people are called migrants because the migrate from one area to another looking for work. We have a good idea how many are in the country because they wire money back home on a regular basis and we can track how many people are doing that.

The second group enter to either bring drugs or other contraband in and to smuggle firearms back. Many in this group are smuggling in people that belong to the first group. They also bring in young girls with the promise of good jobs and the American dream only to force them into prostitution.

When we talk about illegal immigrants doing bad things here, it is almost always those in the second group that are committing the crimes. There are no simple solutions there. Drug lords have millions of dollars to work with. They are constantly digging tunnels under the river and our walls to come into the country. They send drugs over our bridges hidden in freight trucks and on trains. They bring drugs in by sea along the coast. They have paid off members of the Mexican Army who have at times fired on our Border Patrol.

I don't know what kind of ranchers are having their homes broken into or how they would know it was illegals doing it. Petty crime along the border is rampant. Illegals do it but so to the natives here. Most home owners have burglar bars on their homes and security alarms both. Someone recently stole my lawn mower out of my yard. It could have been an illegal but may well have been a native.

A doctor in our church can often hear illegals migrating across his property at night. Last year his home was broken into when his wife forgot to shut the garage door. The buglers beat him up with a tire iron. All four of them spoke clear English and were later caught when they foolishly used his cell phone they stole and all of them were Americans.

For the most part, the illegal migrants coming here looking for work do not cause much problem other than straining our infrastructure. Their most common crime is drunk driving. That is bad but not so much when compared to what those in the drug trade are doing.

I guess it goes harder on their US benefactors than on the illegals themselves.

Illegals can face felony charges for repeat violations of illegal border crossing. They normally are not unless they have committed a greater crime while here. The first offense is a misdemeanor.

The catch and release program just ended a few years ago. The Border Patrol agents would release illegals back into the general population after catching them if they had no other charges against them. That puts the crime pretty much on the same level as speeding. The police officer catches you, fines you and lets you go.

Quote:

There is some obvious confusion here. I live just 12 miles north of the border. We go to church in Mexico every other week just a few blocks from where the Mexican Army had a shoot-out with drug lords this past winter and 11 people were killed. I know a little bit about what I am talking about.

I don't know what it is like where you are,but I do take my nephews word for what it is like in AZ.

Quote:
The second group enter to either bring drugs or other contraband in and to smuggle firearms back. Many in this group are smuggling in people that belong to the first group. They also bring in young girls with the promise of good jobs and the American dream only to force them into prostitution.

Those smuggling people in that cannot pay frequently have those in the first group smuggle drugs for payment. This method is also used per family member that illegals want to come to america

Quote:
When we talk about illegal immigrants doing bad things here, it is almost always those in the second group that are committing the crimes. There are no simple solutions there. Drug lords have millions of dollars to work with. They are constantly digging tunnels under the river and our walls to come into the country. They send drugs over our bridges hidden in freight trucks and on trains. They bring drugs in by sea along the coast. They have paid off members of the Mexican Army who have at times fired on our Border Patrol.

http://www.examiner.com

US federal agents nabbed a 21-year old illegal alien wanted in Texas for murder attempting to escape back into Mexico.

US Customs and Border Protection officers and Border Patrol agents working at the Hidalgo International Bridge apprehended a Mexican male wanted for capital murder and seven warrants for auto theft.

Last Tuesday, CBP officers and Border Patrol agents while working outbound enforcement operations at the Hidalgo International Bridge encountered a passenger in a southbound taxi as he attempted to exit the United States to enter Mexico. CBP officers along with Border Patrol agents stopped the taxi for a routine outbound inspection.

The male passenger, later identified as Juan Manuel Sosa, a Mexican citizen and resident of Houston, Texas was referred for further inspection. During the secondary inspection, checks of a CBP database identified Juan Manuel Sosa as the subject of eight active arrest warrants from the cities of McAllen and Rio Grande City, Texas.

Juan Manuel Sosa has an active warrant from the city of McAllen for capital murder and seven active warrants from Rio Grande City for auto theft.

CBP officers and Border Patrol agents arrested Sosa and subsequently turned him over to the custody of McAllen Police Department. Sosa was transported to the McAllen city jail and will face charges there before being transferred to Rio Grande City.

"This is but one example of a vicious killer seeking asylum in his home country after evading arrest. In this case they succeeded in capturing the suspect, but too often murders and rapists are successful in evading arrest by sneaking back into Mexico," said a former NYPD detective.

Detective Ben Cardoza went on to show that the Sosa case is not an isolated incident by revealing the following information he compiled from Federal Bureau of Investigation and Department of Homeland Security reports:

* 95% of warrants for murder in Los Angeles are for illegal aliens.

* 83% of warrants for murder in Phoenix are for illegal aliens.

* 86% of warrants for murder in Albuquerque are for illegal aliens.

* 75% of those on the most wanted list in Los Angeles, Phoenix and Albuquerque are illegal aliens.

* 24.9% of all inmates in California detention centers are Mexican nationals here illegally

* 40.1% of all inmates in Arizona detention centers are Mexican nationals here illegally

* 48.2% of all inmates in New Mexico detention centers are Mexican nationals here illegally

* 29% (630,000) convicted illegal alien felons fill our state and federal prisons at a cost of $1.6 billion annually

* 53% plus of all investigated burglaries reported in California, New Mexico, Nevada, Arizona and Texas are perpetrated by illegal aliens.

* 50% plus of all gang members in Los Angeles are illegal aliens from south of the border.

* 71% plus of all apprehended cars stolen in 2005 in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada and California were stolen by Illegal aliens or “transport coyotes".

* 47% of cited/stopped drivers in California have no license, no insurance and no registration for the vehicle. Of that 47%, 92% are illegal aliens.

* 63% of cited/stopped drivers in Arizona have no license, no insurance and no registration for the vehicle. Of that 63%, 97% are illegal aliens

* 66% of cited/stopped drivers in New Mexico have no license, no insurance and no registration for the vehicle. Of that 66% 98% are illegal aliens.

* 380,000 plus “anchor babies” were born in the US to illegal alien parents in just one year, making 380,000 babies automatically US citizens.

* 97.2% of all costs incurred from those births were paid by the American taxpayers.

* 66% plus of all births in California are to illegal alien Mexicans on Medi-Cal whose births were paid for by taxpayers

Those smuggling people in that cannot pay frequently have those in the first group smuggle drugs for payment.

Quote:

I seriously doubt that is the case. I certainly have seen no evidence of that. I certainly am not going to drink some red kool-aid that right-wing sources are serving up either.

You would have no idea if my nephew is right wing or left wing. Nor would you know first hand what is taking place in Nogales.

Nor are the regular news reporters right wing.That is pretty tough to find.

Your not drinking the kool-aid is repeated so frequently and unnecessarily the phrase "He doth protest to much" comes to mind

Quote:
We have human smugglers busted here locally on a regular basis. It is reported on the evening news. In the past 12 years of living here, I cannot recall one occasion when a human smuggler was busted with a trailer full of illegals and the illegals were themselves smuggling drugs.

Perhaps you should begin reading more carefully and stick to that instead of inserting a scenerio that no one has given

http://primebuzz.kcstar.com/?q=node/17768

The cartels often exploit the illegal immigrants by forcing them into economic bondage or prostitution, U.S. officials say. In recent years, illegal immigrants have been forced to pay exorbitant fees for being smuggled into the United States by the cartels’ networks of transportation, communications, logistics and financial operatives, according to officials.