ClubAdventist is back!

...judge rules Day of Prayer unconstitutional

Amelia

Day of prayer is very doable without government.
Um, yeah, that's what I said... so why should we whine because the government isn't doing it?

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde

�Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." - Jesus

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• karl

• SivartM

• doug yowell

• Tom Wetmore

• Administrators

...But do you get where TJ was coming from? He did not want the government involved in ANYTHING that people could do on their own. Day of prayer is very doable without government.

Also, so many other things the government has gradually gotten into. Don't let its nose in the tent.

Good point, karl. Unfortunately, once its nose gets under the tent inch by inch the camel wiggles in and we eventually find ourselves sleeping with the camel. And we are infect with the fleas of the camel.

The best approach is as Jefferson envisioned it, complete separation - a wall between.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

Umm... why are we arguing on the side of the people who wanted to punish Sunday-breakers?

Just pointing out that any attempt to make it "appear" that Jefferson would not have endorsed a Government promotion of the idea of prayer - because it is "too public" - is falling short of a few key historic facts.

in Christ,

Bob

John 8:32 - The Truth will make you free

“The righteousness of Christ will not cover one cherished sin." COL 316.

Originally Posted By: karl
...But do you get where TJ was coming from? He did not want the government involved in ANYTHING that people could do on their own. Day of prayer is very doable without government.

Also, so many other things the government has gradually gotten into. Don't let its nose in the tent.

Good point, karl. Unfortunately, once its nose gets under the tent inch by inch the camel wiggles in and we eventually find ourselves sleeping with the camel. And we are infect with the fleas of the camel.

There was another point there that you may have missed. All the government social programs that libs are so fond of would have given Jefferson apoplexy.

[

But do you get where TJ was coming from? He did not want the government involved in ANYTHING that people could do on their own. Day of prayer is very doable without government.

Sure, I appreciate where Jefferson was coming from. Given the church state history, his own experience with ecclestical influences, the unique experiment that he was so much a part of,ect... I think it was only reasonable for him to express his reservations.The advantage we have over TJ is that we have 200 years of history to look back on,and a 58 year experiment with exactly the governmental prescription that he feared. When this particular Day of Prayer was instituted back in 1952 (I was a lot cuter then)nobody saw a Constitutional crisis. In 2010, after the camel's nose being in our tent for those 58 years, the country is LESS religiously influenced than any time in it's history. In this particular case I'd have to say that Jefferson's worst fears have been proven to be groundless.In fact, this case parallels my own experience. In 1952, when I was just a baby, all the girls wanted to kiss me. Today, they want me arrested for being a dirty old man.What did I do wrong??

In 1952, when I was just a baby, all the girls wanted to kiss me. Today, they want me arrested for being a dirty old man.What did I do wrong??

Its that Jesuit leer.

• Members

Day of prayer is very doable without government.
Um, yeah, that's what I said... so why should we whine because the government isn't doing it?

The problem I see is they cry when they don't do anything and then cry when they do do something. :)

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Originally Posted By: doug yowell
In 1952, when I was just a baby, all the girls wanted to kiss me. Today, they want me arrested for being a dirty old man.What did I do wrong??

Its that Jesuit leer.

Howdaya get rid of that??? Shall I sue my mother?

Its that Jesuit leer.

Howdaya get rid of that??? Shall I sue my mother?

Face drop (opposite of lift.) Friend of mine does 'em for a buck three ninety five (anesthesia is extra - a LOT extra.) But by all means sue your progenitors. As the libs have proclaimed, we are all victims, so sue, sue, sue.

Face drop (opposite of lift.) Friend of mine does 'em for a buck three ninety five (anesthesia is extra - a LOT extra.) But by all means sue your progenitors. As the libs have proclaimed, we are all victims, so sue, sue, sue.

I heard of a guy who named his son Sue. Thought it would make him tougher. I guess the financial benefits naturally follow. Not to worry about my ability to afford Anastasia for my operation. I think it's covered under my comprehensive workman's comp Jesuit health care plan.