ClubAdventist is back!

We All Know There's No Hypocrisy in Liberalism, Right?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bonnie

• Dr. Shane

• Woody

• karl

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mexico's federal Public Safety Department is a bureaucracy like our FBI. It is corrupt. Everyone knows that. That is one of the major sources of corruption President Caldaron has been fighting. ... President Caldaron, and President Fox before him, have been using the Mexican Army to enforce federal law because the law enforcement agencies are so corrupt. Over the past ten years, some progress has been made in cleaning up many law enforcement agencies but it is far from done.

Using the army, eh?

In late August, military prosecutors arrested two Army generals on charges of drug trafficking. Sources for the Secretaria de Defensa Nacional (SEDENA) said the two officers, retired Gen. Francisco Quiros Hermosillo and active Brig. Gen. Mario Arturo Acosta Chaparro, are accused of aiding the drug-trafficking operations of the cartel created by the late Amado Carrillo Fuentes. SEDENA has also charged Quiros with several counts of attempted bribery.Quiros and Acosta are the latest high-ranking officers implicated in the drug trade. In the most prominent case, Gen. Jesus Gutierrez Rebollo and two aides were arrested in 1997 on charges of accepting bribes for protecting Carrillo Flores and other cartel members. At that time, Rebollo headed Mexico's drug-enforcement agency (see SourceMex, 1997-02-26).

Chief Military Prosecutor Rafael Macedo de la Concha said SEDENA had begun to investigate the activities of Quiros and Acosta in 1998, but until now lacked sufficient evidence to detain them. Authorities were finally able to move against the pair after key witnesses offered conclusive evidence that Acosta and Quiros collaborated with the Juarez Cartel, said Macedo.

Quiros and Acosta are the latest high-ranking officers implicated in the drug trade. In the most prominent case, Gen. Jesus Gutierrez Rebollo and two aides were arrested in 1997 on charges of accepting bribes for protecting Carrillo Flores and other cartel members. At that time, Rebollo headed Mexico's drug-enforcement agency (see SourceMex, 1997-02-26).

]

Another big misconception about Mexican people is that the people are lazy and dishonest.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

Again, if we talk like racists, minorities are going to think we are racists. We need to be careful not to reinforce existing stereotypes.

Using the army, eh?

In late August, military prosecutors arrested two Army generals on charges of drug trafficking...

Chief Military Prosecutor Rafael Macedo de la Concha said SEDENA had begun to investigate the activities of Quiros and Acosta in 1998, but until now lacked sufficient evidence to detain them.

I am starting to feel like a professor in a Mexican Studies class. I guess I shouldn't expect Americans to know much about how things work in Mexico. I don't know too much about how things work in Canada either so I guess it not surprising that so many are forming bad opinions based on faulty assumptions about things they really don't know much about.

My position in this thread is that I have not seen any evidence that the Calderon Administration is corrupt. They have been fighting corruption since they first took office. I have also pointed out that they use the military to fight corruption. That is true. Now there are elements of corruption within the military and there are better examples than what Karl has quoted here. The story Karl quoted dates back to 1998 which was while the PRI was still in power. Yet within the last decade our Border Patrol has come under fire from Mexican Army soldiers bringing drugs across the boarder. Of course that is a small part of the Mexican Army. Our own Border Patrol has also been found smuggling drugs across the boarder but that is no reason to charge the President of the US of being corrupt.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

OK, here is the original statement:

The queen of England would not have scored well with those he so desperately wants to impress... His deference to the corrupt leader of Mexico was reprehensible.

What we see here is the queen of England contrast with the "corrupt" leader of Mexico. Not only is there no evidence given in the post to indite President Calderon, He is known for his anti-corruption tactics against the drug cartels of Mexico. So the statement made by Bonnie leaves one scratching their head and wondering what on earth President Calderon has done that he is not up to the same level as the queen of England. The queen of England isn't even known for being anti-corruption like Calderon is. Such a statement by a white person is going to leave minorities figuring that the queen of England is good because she is white and Calderon is bad because he is Mexican. It was a very bad choice of words with nothing given to support its conclusion.

From National Public Radio:

Calderon has deployed 45,000 federal troops and police to combat the drug gangs. Yet in the midst of this crackdown, the Sinaloa cartel — the largest, oldest and richest in Mexico — appears to be flourishing.

Is Drug War A Rigged Fight?

May 19, 2010

On The Trail Of Mexico's Vicious Sinaloa Cartel

An NPR News investigation has found strong evidence of collusion between elements of the Mexican army and the Sinaloa cartel in the violent border city of Juarez.

Dozens of interviews with current and former law enforcement agents, organized crime experts, elected representatives, and victims of violence suggest that the Sinaloans depend on bribes to top government officials to help their leader, Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman, elude capture, expand his empire and keep his operatives out of jail.

"I work in the police and because of this I know the government is protecting Chapo Guzman. It's hitting all the cartels but Chapo," said Luis Arturo Perez Torres, 25, until recently a federal police officer stationed in a suburb of Mexico City.

OK, here is the original statement:

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

An NPR News investigation has found strong evidence of collusion between elements of the Mexican army and the Sinaloa cartel in the violent border city of Juarez.

Just like I said, there are better examples of corruption in the Mexican Army than the 1998 example cited earlier. Prior to the PAN party getting elected to power, the PRI was partners with the drug cartels. Once the PAN took control they started to wage war against the cartels. President Calderon has stepped up the war. Progress is being made. Certainly President Calderon cannot be blamed for this.