ClubAdventist is back!

This is Not "My" Church

CGMedley

If we claim that we are without sin, we are liars...

I sin in ways I don't even realize. Sometimes I am tempted and before I even stop to think about it, I instinctively commit sin. I cannot claim to be without sin.

However to place that passage in context, in the time when John wrote that, there were Jews that believed they were without sin and in no need of a redeemer. John clearly was telling them, if they claimed to be without sin, then the truth was not in them.

Because of grace, whenever I am tempted and have time to contemplate my decision, I can always choose right and overcome wrong. In the sense, we can obey the Commandments.

If we can't obey the Commandments, that means I HAVE TO commit adultery and murder. Who believes that? Jesus told us that if we love Him, we are to keep His Commandments. If I can't keep the Commandments, that means I can't love Jesus.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• John317

• karl

• olger

• Neil D

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: teresaq(sda)
i will accept that it does for you. :)

Do the following verses describe people who are completely without sin?

Luke 1:6

And they were both righteous before God, walking blamelessly in all the commandments and statutes of the Lord.

John 15:10

If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love.

1 John 5:3

For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome.

1 John 3:9

No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God's seed abides in him, and he cannot keep on sinning because he has been born of God.

Rev. 12:17

Then the dragon became furious with the woman and went off to make war on the rest of her offspring, on those who keep the commandments of God and hold to the testimony of Jesus. And he stood on the sand of the sea.

Compare the above with the following verses:

1 John 1:9

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

1 John 2:4-5

Whoever says "I know him" but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him, [5] but whoever keeps his word, in him truly the love of God is perfected. By this we may be sure that we are in him.

facebook. /teresa.quintero.790

• Moderators

Today my Sabbath School teacher was talking about how the devil will persecute those who keep all of the commandments. I looked around the room and thought, "I guess we're all safe then."

Originally Posted By: Woody
I'm confused. I thought the Lord BLESSED those that keep His commandments ... such as Abraham.

The blessing is found in Rev. 22: 14:

Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

Isn't that blessing enough?

Actually there's no contradiction or reason to be confused between what SivartM said and the teaching that God blesses commandment-keepers.

It's necessary to read all that the Bible and the SOP say about it, and when we do that, there's no confusion.

For instance, the Bible also says that those who live godly lives will enter the kingdom of God through suffering.

2 Tim. 3:12

Indeed, all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted.

Jesus suffered and so did Paul & Daniel. All the desciples except John died a martyr's death.

Romans 8:17

and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him.

Philip. 1:29

For it has been granted to you that for the sake of Christ you should not only believe in him but also suffer for his sake,

The blessing isn't that commandment-keepers will have an easy life on this earth.

If we're not suffering for the sake of Christ, it's likely that we're not doing anything to make the Devil angry at us. Notice that in Rev. 12: 17, the Devil gets angry at, and makes war upon, people who are keeping God's commandments and holding to the Spirit of prophecy:

Rev. 12:17

Then the dragon became furious with the woman and went off to make war on the rest of her offspring, on those who keep the commandments of God and hold to the testimony of Jesus. And he stood on the sand of the sea.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• Moderators

Because of grace, whenever I am tempted and have time to contemplate my decision, I can always choose right and overcome wrong. In the sense, we can obey the Commandments.

If we can't obey the Commandments, that means I HAVE TO commit adultery and murder. Who believes that? Jesus told us that if we love Him, we are to keep His Commandments. If I can't keep the Commandments, that means I can't love Jesus.

Excellent!

Romans 8 shows us that when we have the Holy Spirit directing our lives, He empowers us to live righteously for God. This doesn't mean that we won't ever make mistakes but if we're living in the Spirit rather than in the flesh, we'll practice righteousness and not be falling into the same sinful pattern that we had before Christ came into our lives.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• Members

Originally Posted By: SivartM
Today my Sabbath School teacher was talking about how the devil will persecute those who keep all of the commandments. I looked around the room and thought, "I guess we're all safe then."

I'm confused. I thought the Lord BLESSED those that keep His commandments ... such as Abraham.

Yes Jesus does bless us, but satan does not, he condemns us.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Quote:

I guess we will find out which of the two is strongest. :)

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Members

Quote:

I guess we will find out which of the two is strongest. :)

Well I already know who is stronger, Jesus by a landslide. No need to wait and see.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}