ClubAdventist is back!

Should we clap after Baptisms?

Woody

What is the meaning of clapping at any occasion?

If you asked a random sample of the general population, you would probably mostly get answers like "To express happiness" or "To show appreciation for something they have just seen/heard."

If you asked a random sample of Adventists, answers would probably sound more like "To gratify the ego of the speaker/performer" or "As a display of worldly pride".

We Adventists have been conditioned by the ongoing debate around clapping and our thinking has been colored by these ideas. At church, watch next time someone spontaneously starts clapping because something has happened that makes them happy or something has been said that they really relate to. Watch the more "mature" saints visibly cringe and then, after an awkward moment, join in with a mumbled "Amen."

Or another way of looking at it: take the example of a little child, too young to understand the kinds of arguments for and against clapping that we have been debating. Under what circumstances would he/she spontaneously start to clap? and what would he/she be trying to say by this?

AJ

www.asrc.org.au

(Asylum Seeker Resource Centre, Melbourne)

Helping over 2000 refugees & asylum seekers each month

IMSLP/Petrucci Music Library

The Public Domain Music Score Library - Free Sheet Music Downloads

Looking for classical sheet music? Try IMSLP first!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Overaged

• Woody

• Tom Wetmore

• Dr. Shane

I clap when some one has done a job well; it may be playing, competition of sports, or musical performance of some sort. The clapping is done to praise the performer or player. So, why should any one clap when some one got baptised? When some one decides to follow Jesus and show one's decision publicly shouldn't we praise God rather than clapping to boost human's ego? Whenever we clap, the player or performer's ego is boosted. It is the human nature.

won

• Moderators

I clap when some one has done a job well; it may be playing, competition of sports, or musical performance of some sort. The clapping is done to praise the performer or player. So, why should any one clap when some one got baptised? When some one decides to follow Jesus and show one's decision publicly shouldn't we praise God rather than clapping to boost human's ego? Whenever we clap, the player or performer's ego is boosted. It is the human nature.

won

Clapping can be done to indicate agreement with what is being said and done. When people clap during a sermon it is often in agreement with the point that is being made rather then simply the praising the person.

Clearly, A person can hear a loud or quiet amen and have their ego swell. Amens cannot and do not prevent the heart from swelling with pride.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

Some GREAT posts a goin' on here. Excellent. Hitting the nail on the head.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Administrators

Psalms 47:1 - To the Chief Musician. A Psalm of the sons of Korah.

Oh clap your hands all you peoples! Shout to God with the voice of triumph!

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

Let those that want to praise Him with clapping do so and b glad. Let those that want to be quiet or say Amen .... do so ... and b sad.

I believe in Hematology.

• Members

In Russia, everyone claps in unison after a performance.

In some cultures, stomping feet is the proper practice to symbolize approval after a performance.

Germans pound on a table.

The ancient Romans snapped their fingers.

I think clapping is cultural. And optional.

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

Clapping is OK. Stomping the feet is cool. Pounding the table is off-the-chart cook. Snapping the fingers,,, not so much.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

I've heard some very beautiful whistling. So, I am open to it.

I believe in Hematology.

• Members

re: whistling... In my church we had an elderly lady - actually, she was known as the "AMEN" lady - who always whistled the hymns or along with special music while she was sitting in the congregation. One Sabbath, we had a violinist from the Music Dept of Pacific University give special music. He was playing a classical piece.....very nice. Then the music called for a "rest" and the violinist stopped. Before he could start playing again, out from the congregation came this loud Aayyyyy, then the violinist began to play again before little old Gracie could get the "men" said... (I started silently laughing, and kept poking my mom because I didn't think she caught on. She finally slapped my hand - because it was all she could do not to laugh too..)

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

Job 27:23 He shall clap His hands at him, and shall hiss him out of his place.

And I can trust"

• Moderators

This is a genuine question. Why do people insist and persist in condemning what is clearly at least described (in a positive light) in scripture? Things like clapping and dancing are clearly described in a positive way but it is as if these scriptures don't exist. Why? I can understand if someone says "that's not for me" but don't make it seem like God hates it too! gah

Perhaps this would be a topic for another thread.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

quote=Tom Wetmore]Psalms 47:1 - To the Chief Musician. A Psalm of the sons of Korah.

/quote]

This is a genuine question. Why do people insist and persist in condemning what is clearly at least described (in a positive light) in scripture? Things like clapping and dancing are clearly described in a positive way but it is as if these scriptures don't exist. Why? I can understand if someone says "that's not for me" but don't make it seem like God hates it too! gah

Perhaps this would be a topic for another thread.

What about the guy that Peter healed; who was described as "leaping and praising the Lord?" Isn't that worse than clapping?

Act 3:8 And leaping up, he stood and walked and entered with them into the temple, walking and leaping and praising God.

Imagine what would happen to this poor fellow in certain of our Churches today? Would he be lynched or clapped for?

It seems that the clapping issue has gone too far.

And I can trust"

This is what I want to avoid.

">

And I can trust"

Since you want to "obey" Psalms 47:1, tell us, when will you start obeying Job 27:23 He shall clap His hands at him, and shall hiss him out of his place.?

And I can trust"

• Members

hahahahaha!!! Good one, Gerry!!

Manner of worshiping God is partly a cultral thing. Why do christians have a church and sit on the pews during worship service? Why not worship God as did in the Old Testament days(just like you guys quoted about clapping and dancing) by bowing down your heads and prostrate yourselves on the ground? The Muslims still do this way. There is a place and time for every thing.

Won

• Members

Not sure Won that the Jews actually did this? Unless you know of a statement in the Bible were they did!

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}