ClubAdventist is back!

Feeling like I Cheated

shelly

Last Sabbath I visited a United Church of God. I enjoyed myself and was spiritually blessed. I know I will be going back and I can see myself attending on the regular basis. I feel as if I am cheating on the SDA church by going to a church that is not SDA. I know that my spiritual growth is most important and not the organization or the pastor who is being used to minister to my soul. I am SDA born and raised and the possiblility of needing to go outside of the church to be spiritually fed bothers me. I feel like a cheater.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• whatisthis

• shelly

• Woody

Don't feel like a cheater. Adventists don't own God. I'd like to visit some other churches sometime also, but I don't consider that cheating.

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde

�Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." - Jesus

I feel the pain. And I do believe it. Yes, it IS a shame you have to go elsewhere to be fed. Do go and be fed. You can also still keep the Sabbath while being fed at a Sunday Church.

I do hope though ... that once you have been fed .... you will go back and fed those who need it in your SDA church. Share the love. Don't just keep it.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

I have been in some Adventist churches that were so cold we could ice skate in the aisles. Indeed, I went to Sunday churches to get spiritually fed. However I learned to hold my tongue at many of those churches because often times I discovered I knew more about the Bible than most of their members. I learned to just soak in some of the good things they had and ignore the bad. Many Sunday church try to use hell to scare people into heaven. Many are still legalistic. Many believe God is angry with sinners and pleased with saints. Some believe grace is a license to sin. So, going there can sometimes turn out to be more frustrating than spiritually nourishing. There was a pentecostal church that was really warm and I enjoyed worshiping with them a lot. That was about 18 years ago.

Today we have all these Adventist TV networks and radio stations available through satellite or IPTV. I think if I were to get stuck in a cold Adventist church again, I would find my spiritual nourishment from Adventist TV.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Members

Oh Shelly, don't feel like you're cheating!!!! If you aren't being blessed in the SDA church you go to, but feel more "at home" in the UCG church, by all means, go! My mom used to attend both the Adventist church on Sabbath, then the Baptist church on Sunday (because that's where my dad attended).. she took me and my brother to both church services. It didn't harm us any. There's good and bad in all churches, and, as my brother once said to me: "Listen and take what is good and right, and ignore the rest."

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

About the only way I get fed spiritually is when I spend quiet time alone with God. In prayer, and personal Bible study. Just me, the Bible, and the Holy Spirit. (And maybe some of EGWs writings)

Before I begin, I pray and ask the Lord to bless me with His presence there. And to lead me and guide me as I open His word. I believe that is a prayer the Lord will always answer. Anyone waiting for the church, or a congregation to feed them spiritually, will usually starve to death.

Well ... I wasn't very excited about your choice of preachers ... but if you are a conservative .... I guess you will enjoy it. Just seeing the list turned my stomach just a bit.

I believe in Hematology.

Oh, you must not be an Adventist. I'm sorry, I just assumed most everybody here was. What church are you from?

I offered a wide array of preachers though. Surely you can find one you like.

Yes. You're right. I was able to find one. But the large representation of conservatives .... really soured it.

However .... I will take you up on your challenge and find one to listen to.

But, if one wants some good Adventist sermons ... go to: http://www.jacksequeira.org/index.html

I believe in Hematology.

• Members

I'm glad Robert finally found a cohort here.

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

"Finally" ???

I've been his cohort here for years.

Perhaps I need to be more vocal so you can be more aware of it.

I believe in Hematology.

• Members

did you know Robert before coming to the forum?????

Okay ... no.

I am a more recent convert of his.

I had heard Jack speak. But I was really not all that aware of his sermons. Rob turned me on to them once I got here nearly four years ago.

I believe in Hematology.

United Church of God is a Sabbath keeping church. The conflict is where will I go on Sabbath. If it was a Sunday church I could go both ways. Now I have to choose one or the other.

• Members

Go to the one you feel most comfortable at and drop your SDA membership.

I would also like to ask if the United Church of God actually keeps the Sabbath, or just pays lip service to the day like "Sunday keepers" do with their day. I am curious because I have been told that they don't actually keep the Sabbath day holy.

• Members

Excellent posts Richard. I totally agree. As far as what we get out of any sermon,depends on what we want. If we start out with a negative additute we will not learn what the Lord wants us to get from whoever is preaching. But if we do want to learn what the Lord has in store for us than we will be blessed. Your list of people, the ones I recognize are all ones I know I would get a great blessing from, those I don't know I'd have to go in with a positive additute.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

But then even if they do keep it. When it comes to The State of the Dead, the truth about hell not burning for eternity, The Sanctuary message, The Health message, etc. They are still in the dark ages. Our understanding of the Sanctuary service, and what took place in heaven, in 1844, sets us apart from every other religion.

They believe the same as we do about the state of the dead and believe in clean and unclean meats. I dont believe that our brand of the health message and the sanctuary message are salvation issues. I cannot deny that the message delivered last Sabbath was bible based, bible accurate, and spiritually filling to me. I am not being fed at my church at this time. I have not given up on them yet, but I cannot allow myself to starve spiritually in the meantime. I am sure as time goes on I will see more differnces between them and us. However, if the word of God is being preached their I will continue to visit regularlly.

• Members

You got some good advice from CoAspen, I do disagree somewhat with his comment about the Sabbath. As far as I'm concerned Sabbath keeping in the OT is no different than the NT.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

The first sentence is fairly good, though a bit simplistic. Just as we are baptised into the Father, Son and Holy Spirit (by injunction of the last verses in Matthew, as well as other references to baptism) we also need the indwelling of God the Father's joy, (Romans 5:11) through the gift of His Son's death and life for us, which we receive through the help of the Holy Spirit's indwelling presence. So, that first sentence is essentially true, but understated. At the return of Jesus a resurrection will take place, but why do they say "to spirit life"? Job said, "I know that in my flesh I shall see God". It's pretty awesome to know that I'll be able to wiggle real toes on the sea of glass! The verses they give here do not address their idea of a 1,000 year reign ON THIS EARTH. But there will be a resurrection after the millenium. None of these verses support a second chance scenario either. But, of course, you know all this!

more later