shelly

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• whatisthis

• shelly

• Woody

I was trying to answer the idea that it's modern day gnosticism to have saving truth! What could possibly be gnostic about truth! As to the WIT abreviation, I'm obviously not doing well here. Just getting the hang of posting for sure, so glad you folk are so kind!

more later

Well, back to what I think the topic is, Shelley felt like she cheated because she went to another church's service and enjoyed it.

more later

• Administrators

Sort of like the idea of cheating by going to another church is being made to feel like you are cheating by reading a religious book by a non-SDA author...

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

Couldn't answer any of this last night, I was busy going to another church.

I had a wonderful time too!

I went to the Baptist community sing held at the closest Baptist church from my house. We sang out of shaped note hymnals. Soooo much fun! And a real spiritual blessing too. Those dear friends always uplift me!

more later

• 3 weeks later...

For myself, I came to SDA in my 40's. It was only a few years ago. I was always (since my early teens) looking for a place to belong and for people who uplifted me and to be inspired by my place of worship. After decades I was still unfulfilled.

What I found in SDA was Biblical understanding and teaching that I had never heard before. I learned how to read the Bible for myself. I was taught that no one else there has any more or less informed position than I do. IF I ask for the Holy Spirit's guidance and study the word.

I agree with the doctrines of the SDA Church BECAUSE I read the supporting documentation in the Word for myself.

If my church is not feeding my need for a relationship with Jesus I wouldn't be suprised, its MY relationship. Its my job to see to that. Failing that. If I were constantly being brought down by my SDA Church I might find another one.

What I wouldn't do is go from 'meat' back to 'milk'. Satan wants to draw away as many as possible with 'feel good' churches.

Pray, study, 'relate' to Jesus. Perhaps you need to ponder why you feel you are cheating. Are you sucumbing to the lure of more comfortable messages?

I can't answer for you. Only you can. God bless you and may Jesus guide your way.

• Administrators

I am also one of those that doesn't get fed through the church service. But I read a lot and there ARE a lot of great spiritual books in our system, some from our presses and some independent. I also read books written by other Christian authors.

I am especially happy to find powerful material that brings me closer to Jesus and to help me KNOW God. I hope that you, Shelley, can find friends and influences that support you as you hunger and thirst for Him, the Bible being foremost. Lukewarmness is Biblically a descriptor of God's last-day church! But by wanting more you are following Christ's plea to not be held in lukewarmness.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

Having said the above, there is nothing that comes close to the life-giving power of the BIble itself. Read what happened to people after listening to Jesus and if you desire that for yourself, you can have it! Just ask...

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• 1 month later...

What's all this hub-bub about not getting fed at Church? People who go to Church to eat, run the risk of going away hungry, but are there not other, better reasons, for going to Church? I am not saying this personally about anyone in particular here; but it seems like a selfish, self-centered religion when we just go to church to be fed. And yet, this is the main point brought forward again and again by those who are miserable at Church.

A church that we feel like this about is just an opportunity in work clothes.

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

Excellent Overaged. You deserve a "Woody likes" Award.

I can even get blessed from sermons I hate. I think to myself just how wrong the preacher is and then fill my mind with truth rather than what he or she is saying. It really spurs my thinking and I am blessed. Good CAN come from bad.

If no one is friendly ... I will go out of MY way to be friendly. It kinda gives me a challenge ... just like the sermon did. You name the bad and I can turn it into good. ANd what an awesome opportunity to witness and bless God.

There are times I have felt God directly put me in horrible churches. So the next time you feel cheated by the church ... count it a blessing.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

This is the first "award" I have ever gotten on Club Adventist!

And I can trust"

Woody, I don't feel cheated by my the church. I felt as if I had cheated on my church for attending and enjoying the UCG church I attended. I have since been back serveral times and will continue to go to both. I am being feed and growing spiritually at the church I am attending. Unfortunately I cannot say the same to my home SDA church. What is bigger than denominational loyalty is spiritual growth and health. For that reason I have come to peace with my decision to attend both churches for now. I plan to split my sabbaths 50/50.

Arnt you supposed to go "Ha Ha Ha Ho Ho Ho Hee Hee Hee?" grouphug

And I can trust"

Sometimes it is important to your sanity to take a break from a given group of people, including churches. It is not really wrong or cheating them in any way. If anyone in the Church has given you this cheating idea - don't listen to them or let them be your conscience.

Conversely, it may be the church who is cheating you in some way that makes what you are doing necessary - yet you could just be cheating yourself, somewhat, by missing out on the opportunity at this Church to feed someone else who really needs it. I'd be willing to bet there is more than just you who is thinking like this.

I would like to suggest a very dangerous prayer for you to start saying. Ask God to direct people to you from this Church that you can work with in encouragement and practical ministries. I have never seen this kind of prayer go unanswered.

Some stuff for you to think about...may God bless you as you continue your search...

And I can trust"

For the sake of brevity ... I abbreviated it Overaged. I am not usually guilty of this sin ... but this time I was. My apologizes.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.