ClubAdventist is back!

Have we over-done the Sabbath?

Woody

Should the Sabbath be made such a big deal?

Are we taking a risk by doing so?

The thread about this being 150 years of the name Seventh day Adventist ... caused me to wonder if we need to go back to a proper emphasis on the relationship with God rather than the rules and regs. And why emphasize one law in our name while ignoring all the others? Why not call ourselves Commandment Keepers or The Law Church?

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

I think you're assuming that the Sabbath is a law. I think it was intended to be a rest from our works, not one more law among the others. Sabbath is about our relationship with God. If someone is keeping Sabbath because they have to keep the laws so God will love them, that would not be Sabbath.

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde

�Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." - Jesus

• Members

The thread about this being 150 years of the name Seventh day Adventist ... caused me to wonder if we need to go back to a proper emphasis on the relationship with God rather than the rules and regs. And why emphasize one law in our name while ignoring all the others? Why not call ourselves Commandment Keepers or The Law Church?

I think it depends on what we see the 10 Commandments as? Rules and regulations or what they are the moral code that God gave us to live by, that would make live easier for us to all get along??

From all my years in the Adventist Church I've always thought that we were known as the church that kept the commandments! Not just the Sabbath! And I've been an Adventist for about 50 years now.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Members

I think you're assuming that the Sabbath is a law. I think it was intended to be a rest from our works, not one more law among the others. Sabbath is about our relationship with God. If someone is keeping Sabbath because they have to keep the laws so God will love them, that would not be Sabbath.

And what would those other laws be?

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

What kind of "risk" would we be taking; and what kind of "big deal" do you mean that would go over the line here? Can you give an example?

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

The big deal is that we think we are better than other Christians because we have the "Sabbath Truth".

The 'risk' is that we are driving others away from all the good in this church by our elietism and judgments on others. And we 'risk' not being able to fully share the love of God with people because of this.

WHat think ye?

I believe in Hematology.

The big deal is that we think we are better than other Christians because we have the "Sabbath Truth".

The 'risk' is that we are driving others away from all the good in this church by our elietism and judgments on others. And we 'risk' not being able to fully share the love of God with people because of this.

WHat think ye?

Isn't this the same charge that is brought against every group that openly calls their fellow Christians to stop breaking one of God's requirements for holiness and happiness? If one focuses on the killing of the unborn they are judgmental.If they focus on Sabbath breaking they are exclusive.If they oppose homosexuality they are "holier than thou." If they insist on a literal creation week they are narrow minded.If the knowledge of the truth causes someone to feel superior why blame it on the truth? And notice that there's generally no self-criticism by those who feel superior because they DON'T keep the Sabbath?

• Moderators

Quote:
=Doug]

And notice that there's generally no self-criticism by those who feel superior because they DON'T keep the Sabbath?

A very interesting bit of observation. Yeah, it appears that the onus is always placed on those preaching the truth. Divisive. Straight-laced. Fanatics.

• Moderators

The question is: Does God make a big deal of the Sabbath? Does the word - "REMEMBER" give us a clue?

• Members

**sort of off topic**

Cindy Tutsch (of the White Estate) will be giving a presentation at Newbold College in England on the history of the name Seventh day Adventist. She's looking to find a good title for the presentation. If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

backtopic

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

Work 6 days and reserve the 7th day for time with God.

This Earth is 6,000 years old, then after that is 7th millenium is spent in heaven with God.

I think there is a vital connection there that can't be over emphasized.

I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs.

Frederick Douglass

• Members

WHat think ye?

My question than would be, "Are we afraid of the Truth?" Doesn't the truth set us free? What would happen if we didn't preach the Sabbath truth? Eventually it would disappear and than what? I do agree that there are those that bust people over the head with this,but we can't be afraid of telling the truth.

phkrause

The main 'Truth' of the Gospel is not Sabbath Keeping. Like the other commandments .... the Sabbath will come. But after people learn THE TRUTH. He will lead them to ALL truth. A babe needs milk not meat.

I believe in Hematology.

caused me to wonder if we need to go back to a proper emphasis on the relationship with God...

The Sabbath is all about a relationship with God. I don't think we place enough emphasis on it. I think we need to spend more time getting ready for it so that we can better enjoy it. Sabbath should be a wonderful and festive time.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

I don't think that. Can you quote some Adventist authors that have stated that? Does it say that in our Church Manual?

"I" just stated it. Ain't that enough for U ?

lol lol lol

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

I don't think this is true. Actually we SDAs aren't any "better" than the ancient Jews, and many of them made the mistake of thinking they were better than others.

As SDAs, we do have access to greater knowledge of God's truth, but most of us aren't living up to what we know, and therefore we are actually worse than other Christians, many of whom are living up to what they know.

God didn't choose us to be SDAs because He thinks we're better than others. With greater knowledge comes greater responsibility to live the truth and share it with others.

We don't want to consider ourselves better than other people, but at the same time, we wouldn't be doing God's will by putting our light under the bushel and hiding it from everyone around us. That is what happens when people are either ashamed of their church's "peculiar" beliefs or want to become just like other people instead of like Christ.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• Moderators

The main 'Truth' of the Gospel is not Sabbath Keeping. Like the other commandments .... the Sabbath will come. But after people learn THE TRUTH. He will lead them to ALL truth. A babe needs milk not meat.

The Sabbath is all about relationship with God. And when rightly understood, embodies the Gospel. How? Because the observation of the Sabbath is declaring to the world that one believes the Gospel - that righteousness belongs to God alone and is the only source of righteousness that saves.

• Moderators

Your response seems directed to Woody, but it sounds more appropriate to what I posted? If so, that's why I believe that there will be a lot of Sunday-keepers on the earth-made-new.

• Moderators

God holds people responsible for the light we have. The greater the knowledge of truth, the greater responsibility.

People aren't held responsible for they don't know and had no opporutnity of learning it. Christ's blood covers what we do in ignorance, but Christ's blood doesn't cover willful and deliberate sin that is not repented of and confessed.

For instance, a man in the 1700s who lived up to all the light he had, including the keeping of Sunday, to the best of his ability, will be saved because he was loyal to Christ in every way He knew how.

But if this man's great-great-great-great grandson keeps Sunday after he's learned the truth of the Sabbath, and has been convicted of it by the Holy Spirit, God's requirement of him will be different from what God required of his ancestor.

Therefore, while it's true that many Sunday keepers will be in heaven, it's also true that many people will be lost because they understood the Sabbath truth and rejected it. No one will be in heaven who deliberately and willfully rejected known truth and practiced sin without ever sincerely repenting and turning away from it.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• Moderators

Your response seems directed to Woody, but it sounds more appropriate to what I posted? If so, that's why I believe that there will be a lot of Sunday-keepers on the earth-made-new.

We do not keep the Sabbath in order to be saved. However, God did make the Sabbath as a symbol that He alone can make sinners holy. In the past, many Sunday-keepers observed it as best as they understood to keep the Sabbath, believing also that it was God's rest day and that by doing so they were also entering into His rest. Therefore, they were observing Sunday as the Sabbath in the same way Sabbath keepers are observing the true Sabbath. In no way do I believe that God would condemn them for making an honest mistake.

I don't know if I'm making myself clear.

Because I trust God, I pray that my will merges with His will and my greatest desire is to live as He wants me to. I leave my salvation up to God. What I am most concerned with is submitting to Him, trusting Him, leaning on Him, following His will for me. Why? Because I BELIEVE HE KNOWS WHAT IS BEST FOR ME BETTER THAN I DO. So of course I am going to honor the Sabbath. That is all part of walking in the Spirit. My biggest concern needs to be honoring God in everything I do. Not because I am worried about the state of my salvation. I obey God because I believe God knows best. Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.

WHat think ye?

Have you ever tried listening to a Catholic who has "the Holy Eucharist Truth?"

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ