ClubAdventist is back!

Have we over-done the Sabbath?

Woody

I like the way you said this Gerry. It makes sense; and it follows "the spirit of the law." It was quite clear to me.

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

• Members

I like the way you said this Gerry. It makes sense; and it follows "the spirit of the law." It was quite clear to me.

I second that Overaged, I think I got that right this time Woody. :)

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Quote:
I second that Overaged, I think I got that right this time Woody. :)

LOLLOL

Yep. You sure did. But then SivartM and Overaged are really just two peas in a pod.

scaredLOLLOLLOLscared

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

quote] I second that Overaged, I think I got that right this time Woody. :)/quote]

LOLLOL

Yep. You sure did. But then SivartM and Overaged are really just two peas in a pod.

scaredLOLLOLLOLscared

SivartM acts a bit younger than I do.

And I can trust"

The big deal is that we think we are better than other Christians because we have the "Sabbath Truth".

The 'risk' is that we are driving others away from all the good in this church by our elietism and judgments on others. And we 'risk' not being able to fully share the love of God with people because of this.

WHat think ye?

I think we should go to The Olive Garden for lunch after church Saturday and discuss this in more detail.

Originally Posted By: Woody
The big deal is that we think we are better than other Christians because we have the "Sabbath Truth".

I don't think this is true. Actually we SDAs aren't any "better" than the ancient Jews, and many of them made the mistake of thinking they were better than others.

As SDAs, we do have access to greater knowledge of God's truth, but most of us aren't living up to what we know, and therefore we are actually worse than other Christians, many of whom are living up to what they know.

God didn't choose us to be SDAs because He thinks we're better than others. With greater knowledge comes greater responsibility to live the truth and share it with others.

We don't want to consider ourselves better than other people, but at the same time, we wouldn't be doing God's will by putting our light under the bushel and hiding it from everyone around us. That is what happens when people are either ashamed of their church's "peculiar" beliefs or want to become just like other people instead of like Christ.

bump

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

Originally Posted By: Woody

The 'risk' is that we are driving others away from all the good in this church by our elietism and judgments on others. And we 'risk' not being able to fully share the love of God with people because of this.

WHat think ye?

I think we should go to The Olive Garden for lunch after church Saturday and discuss this in more detail.

Sorry ... but "I" don't go out to eat during the Sabbath hours due to my religiosity.

I believe in Hematology.

It would be worse if someone went to McDonalds or ate "FryChick" on Sabbath. We may have to put you outside the camp if you are not careful here Woody. It is also a sin to not eat on Sabbath.

And I can trust"

LOLthumbsupLOL

HA HA ... well to many ... I'm already OUT side the camp. WAY out.

I believe in Hematology.

Maybe you are just way out south while the rest of us are north. I know a church where you would be accepted, if you only speak when spoken to. Of course, no one there will speak to you so you will be all set.

And I can trust"

Well ... I may be in the minority by not going out to eat on Sabbath. But, I don't feel that others have to follow my extreme lead. To each their own.

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

Well ... I may be in the minority by not going out to eat on Sabbath. But, I don't feel that others have to follow my extreme lead. To each their own.

Seems like we have something in common after all, Woody. At one time we were going to a church where a number of the members got together for after-church lunch in some restaurant. Often included the pastor too. Somehow it never felt right to me, so my wife & I stopped. We only do that now when we are away from home.

Quote:
At one time we were going to a church where a number of the members got together for after-church lunch in some restaurant. Often included the pastor too.

That is a sad story.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Members

I would not normally go out to eat on the Sabbath; however, if a new acquaintance asked me to have lunch with them in a restaurant after church, I would go. The reason for that is because of an incident at my church. A newly baptized member and his wife asked another couple to go out to eat with them after church one Sabbath. They refused to go with them, saying it was against their principles. So, the couple asked my mom and dad to go out with them. They did, even though they wouldn't normally do so. It wasn't until long afterwards that my folks discovered that if they hadn't gone along for lunch, the couple was planning on not returning to church because they felt so snubbed. As it turned out, the couple eventually became very involved with church, and also became best friends with my folks.

(When all four of them were together, there was "Bonnie and Clyde" -- my mom's name is Bonnie and "Clyde" was the husband of the other couple. He and my mom both worked for the FBI.)

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Moderators

To have turned down that invitation would have been rude. Your parents did the right thing. Sometimes we Adventists are perceived as clannish; too bad.

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

quote] At one time we were going to a church where a number of the members got together for after-church lunch in some restaurant. Often included the pastor too./quote]

That is a sad story.

WHY?

And I can trust"

Appreciate this bit of interesting history Pam.

I was not aware that Bonnie and Clyde were employed by the FBI. :):) lol

I believe in Hematology.

Originally Posted By: Shane
quote] At one time we were going to a church where a number of the members got together for after-church lunch in some restaurant. Often included the pastor too./quote]

That is a sad story.

WHY?

Although I am personally not comfortable with eating out on Sabbath. I can certainly see the valid reasons of those who do.

This is why I would not push ANYone to follow my extreme conservative views on this issue.

I believe in Hematology.

That means that you & I can get jobs with the FBI too then Woody!

And I can trust"

That means that you & I can get jobs with the FBI too then Woody!

I dunno. This Woody is too Overaged.

I believe in Hematology.

• 2 weeks later...

Christ's method alone will give true success in reaching the people. The Saviour mingled with men as one who desired their good. He showed His sympathy for them, ministered to their needs, and won their confidence. Then He bade them, "Follow Me."--The Ministry of Healing, p. 143.

I believe in Hematology.

• Members

Christ's method alone will give true success in reaching the people. The Saviour mingled with men as one who desired their good. He showed His sympathy for them, ministered to their needs, and won their confidence. Then He bade them, "Follow Me."--The Ministry of Healing, p. 143.

Agreed Woody, but when it comes down to it he tells them to follow him. I'm pretty sure that when asked he would have no problem saying what he needs to ask. I that is what he asks us to do. But many hit others over the head with the Bible right away.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}