ClubAdventist is back!

Yom Kippur

LynnDel

• Moderators

Today is Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement. Isn't it interesting that we, as Adventists, barely notice the day's passing, when so much of our theology is based on our understanding that we are living in the Antitypical Day of Atonement? I bet most of us don't even know what that means. Maybe if we observed the day, we would not lose the meaning.

LD

LD

• Members

Today is Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement. Isn't it interesting that we, as Adventists, barely notice the day's passing, when so much of our theology is based on our understanding that we are living in the Antitypical Day of Atonement? I bet most of us don't even know what that means. Maybe if we observed the day, we would not lose the meaning.

LD

I agree that, maybe not observe them, but at least give attention to there meaning, etc. Even though these Holy Days are no longer necessary because they all pointed to Jesus, I believe we could learn many valuble lessons from them.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Moderators

We keep the Sabbath as a memorial to creation, why not keep The Day of Atonement as a memorial to what Jesus did for us? We always challenge people to show in the Bible where the Sabbath was changed, with lack of that proof being our basis for continuing keeping the weekly Sabbath. Can we show in the Bible where observance of this annual Holy Day, and others, was expressly discontinued, especially after it was commanded to be kept forever?

I am just asking. I don't know the answers.

LD

LD

• Moderators

What does "What does your resting from your works have to do with your statement above?" have to do with my question above?

LD

LD

We keep the Sabbath as a memorial to creation, why not keep The Day of Atonement as a memorial to what Jesus did for us? We always challenge people to show in the Bible where the Sabbath was changed, with lack of that proof being our basis for continuing keeping the weekly Sabbath. Can we show in the Bible where observance of this annual Holy Day, and others, was expressly discontinued, especially after it was commanded to be kept forever?

I am just asking. I don't know the answers.

LD

The Sabbath is not a type or a shadow, pointing to the anti-type. It is the fourth commandment, which will never change, or pass away. Yom Kippur was only a shadow, and has met it's fulfillment.

Col 2:14,16,17 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; ...Let no man therefore judge you in food, or in drink, or in respect of a holy day, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: Which are a shadow of things to come;...

The Sabbath is not a type or a shadow, pointing to the anti-type. It is the fourth commandment, which will never change, or pass away. Yom Kippur was only a shadow, and has met it's fulfillment.

we are still in "yom kippur", unless probation has ended and Jesus has come and i didnt know it...

observing the day, would possibly remind us that we are now in that reality of the shadow, lynndel, i would think.

but then we tend to forget the significance of any "holy day" soon enough...

facebook. /teresa.quintero.790

• Moderators

I agree. While the Day of Atonement isn't commanded under the gospel, Christians may observe it if they choose to. There are some SDAs who observe the ceremonial sabbaths, but they don't believe or teach that it's a salvation issue. We can still learn good lessons from studying them and even sometimes observing them.

Living in the antitypical Day of Atonement means that we should realize there is a judgment going on in the heavenly sanctuary at this time, and it should affect how we live. I think one of the most important ways it will affect SDAs who understand it is that we will be using this time to follow Jesus' work in the Most Holy Place and separate sin from ourselves.

I see a connection between living in the Antitypical Day of Atonement and Daniel 12: 10, which speaks of the time just before Christ returns when "many shall be purified, made white, and refined." Notice it says the wicked will not understand but only the [spiritually] wise shall understand. (I think these are the ones who have responded to Jesus' appeal in Rev. 3: 18 to "anoint your eyes with eye salve that you may see.")

The cleansing of the heavenly sanctuary takes place at the same time that God's people on earth are cleansing their soul temples of sin.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• Moderators

We keep the Sabbath as a memorial to creation

LD

Originally Posted By: Robert
What does your resting from your works have to do with your statement above?

offtopic

Resting from our works means we obey God. We rest in Him. That means we acknowledge Him as our Creator and the only One who has authority to give us commands we must obey. Every time we rest from our works on the seventh day Sabbath, we show that we have entered into this rest of God. God only rested on one day, and that was the seventh day of the week.

Some say that God only rested on that one Sabbath, but in 650 BC, God called the weekly Sabbath "My Sabbaths," "my holy day," "the holy day of the Lord" (See Is. 56: 4 and 58: 13).

backtopic

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

Originally Posted By: teresaq(sda)
we are still in "yom kippur"
That's true. I was just pointing out why we don't have to observe the day like the Jews did. Which was her original question.
"observe" can have different meanings. i didnt take her to mean "observe" in the same sense as the jews did...but on thinking about it, i dont know why not...it could help us keep in mind the time we are in the rest of the days of the year...

Quote:
Quote:Richard Holbrook

Yom Kippur was only a shadow, and has met it's fulfillment.

How do we know that? The crucifixion/Atonement of Jesus Christ occurred during the Spring Feasts.

Before the cycle of the Autumnal Feasts can be recognized as fulfilled – we must first identify the Blowing of the Trumpets.

It may be that the Day of Atonement signifies a thing entirely different (and separate) from the crucifixion of Jesus Christ.

Quote:
Quote:John317

While the Day of Atonement isn't commanded under the gospel, Christians may observe it if they choose to.

Indeed – however, the Covenental Sabbaths were between Gd and the COI. It cannot be argued that that Covenant has not been nullified. It was – by the continual and egregious infraction of its terms. However, there still remains the – as yet,

unrealized Sabbaths of the Fall Feasts.

Perhaps it behooves us to study more diligently – their meanings – that we might recognize them... For instance,

(...extemporizing) the author of the book of Hebrews informs that Christ was the spiritual rock that followed the COI before they entered into Canaan – that same rock, which Moses struck three times during the wanderings. Question: is Jesus Christ

to be struck twice more or is it His body, that is His Xtian followers, the OT tribes, or certain of those OT tribes, that must yet be twice struck?—during maybe, the time of Jacob’s trouble?

Is the Great Tribulation synonymous with the time of Jacob’s trouble?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

That's true. I was just pointing out why we don't have to observe the day like the Jews did. Which was her original question.

Very good points Teresa. Its almost like our following the other Christian churches in basicly observing Easter rather than when the Jew's celebrate the Passover. We could be doing the footwashing at that time of year which is always closer to the death and resurection of our Lord and Saviour. Like you mentioned not observing the day but just commemorating these two events.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

hi, pkrause... :)

im not sure if you are responding to what i did say or if the quotes didnt work out right...

the sequence below,

we are still in "yom kippur"