ClubAdventist is back!

Why are there hardly any caucasians in the GNYC?

abelisle

• Members

As a delegate to the most recent constituency meeting for the GNYC (Greater New York Conference) I listened to the Atlantic Union Conference president Don King admit that the work for caucasians is sorely lacking.

With a new administration, I wonder if they will implement any new plans to correct this? I do plan to ask our conference leaders about this.

But what's probably more disturbing is the fact that in most urban areas in the NAD, this is a problem. Why do you think white people are a non-existent part of our collective demographic in our large urban areas? Is it that these are the post-moderns we speak about in the Townhall forum?

Alex (I saw about 20 in the session of 600 total delegates)

We are our worst enemy - sad but true.

colorfulcanyon-1-1.jpg

http://abelisle.blogspot.com

• Members

The membership reflects tremendous growth in the hispanic and Franco-haitian communities. The blacks aren't Afro-American but rather West Indian from the Caribbean.So it seems, that indigenous Americans are absent from our church rolls (both white and black)

Considering the fact that caucasians still make up the majority of the population in the metro NYC area, what does this say about our church - that it is only relevant to people of color and immigrants and only caters to their needs?

It also seems that white pastors don't want to accept calls here and since most of the churches don't reflect the demographic profiles of the neighborhoods they are in, evangelism simply attracts the same membership of the church that is holding these evangelism crusades.

Something happened, maybe gradually over time but I remember a predominately "white" church when I was younger, now "whites" aren't only a minority but nearly invisible!

Alex

We are our worst enemy - sad but true.

colorfulcanyon-1-1.jpg

http://abelisle.blogspot.com

it is hard not to comment or discuss this with out being views as a racist..

turns out, the gospel will need to go to the white folks before we can all go home.

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

• Moderators

I'm familiar with the Takoma Park area of Dc/Maryland. It's has a large, white, health conscious, progressive population but the churches in the area have made few of any real connections with the white community.

The white members of those churches, eg Takoma Park SDA and Sligo have been moving north into the suburbs for many years. Takoma Park Church is now predominantly black and WAU has a majority black student population, I think. White Adventists are fleeing the urban centers. They are being replaced largely by immigrants who, like you said, will win other immigrants. Even if white Adventist started repopulating the urban centers the traditional way of doing church just will not work.

I think it is an issue of not being able to reach post-moderns. When the West Indians, Latinos etc. get established they will not be able to reach their own either. White's and African-Americans are experiencing now what the immigrant churches will experience later.

Christ's method still works best but I don't see many churches trying it.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Administrators

Excuse my ignorance, but is it for lack of fellowship with our non-churched neighbours (members doing personal outreach) that we as a body are becoming non-relevant?

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.