ClubAdventist is back!

United Nations to appoint Earth contact for aliens

September 27, 2010 8:52AM

THE United Nations was set today to appoint a Malaysian astrophysicist to act as Earth's first contact for any aliens that may come visiting.

Mazlan Othman, the head of the UN's little-known Office for Outer Space Affairs (UNOOSA), is to describe her potential new role next week at a scientific conference at the Royal Society’s Kavli conference centre in Buckinghamshire.

She is scheduled to tell delegates that the recent discovery of hundreds of planets around other stars has made the detection of extraterrestrial life more likely than ever before - and that means the UN must be ready to coordinate humanity’s response to any “first contact”.

During a talk Othman gave recently to fellow scientists, she said: “The continued search for extraterrestrial communication, by several entities, sustains the hope that some day humankind will receive signals from extraterrestrials.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

Related CoveragePictures: UFO invasion - Fact or fantasy?

Pictures: UFOs - Are they out there?

.End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

"When we do, we should have in place a coordinated response that takes into account all the sensitivities related to the subject. The UN is a ready-made mechanism for such coordination.”

Professor Richard Crowther, an expert in space law and governance at the UK Space Agency and who leads British delegations to the UN on such matters, said: “Othman is absolutely the nearest thing we have to a ‘take me to your leader’ person.”

However, he thinks humanity’s first encounter with any intelligent aliens is more likely to be via radio or light signals from a distant planet than by beings arriving on Earth. And, he suggests, even if we do encounter aliens in the flesh, they are more likely to be microbes than anything intelligent.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/lifestyle/th...6-1225929807055

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• John317

• Bravus

• Overaged

• Moderators

Very interesting, Richard. Thanks for posting this.

I think it should be expected by SDAs who know the end-time prophecies. Someday the time will come when contact is made with extraterrestrials claiming to hold all the solutions to earth's problems, and the world will follow.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

I think it should be expected by SDAs who know the end-time prophecies. Someday the time will come when contact is made with extraterrestrials claiming to hold all the solutions to earth's problems, and the world will follow.

Does that come from prophecy or from a novel?

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde

�Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." - Jesus

The visual of someone waiting to be the official earth greeter to space aliens would be funny if we were not living in such precarious times

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

Originally Posted By: John317

The visual of someone waiting to be the official earth greeter to space aliens would be funny if we were not living in such precarious times

"And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us..."He was in the world...and the world did not know Him..." Guess they just missed it.I wonder what kind of reception the U.N. will be expecting from Him when He comes back?----"Greetings earthlings! I come in peace!"?????

• Moderators

Originally Posted By: SivartM

Fiction won't be able to hold a candle to what the reality will be.

Before Jesus comes, Satan will come as if he is Christ and claim to have the solution to this world's problems. He will look more beautiful than anything humans have seen before. He'll also have a most beautiful voice. Evil angels will appear in human form. Beings who claim to be the apostles will appear as if sent from heaven to tell the world that the Sabbath has been changed. Except for a small group of commandment-keepers, the whole world will accept him. Those who are used to accepting their physical senses instead of the word of God will be deceived.

See LDE 162-171.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• Moderators

I think it's interesting that you ask about whether this comes from a novel or not. First of all, are you serious-- that you don't know what Ellen White says will happen just before Christ returns?

There are many novels about the end-times, and they are written mostly by non-SDA, but none are very good, and the ones by SDAs are terrible. Have you read any?

Do you think there is any potential for a good novel (and of course, a film) from the perspective of SDAs understanding of prophecy?

What are some of your favorite novels, ones you consider great?

I think it's interesting that you ask about whether this comes from a novel or not. First of all, are you serious-- that you don't know what Ellen White says will happen just before Christ returns?

�Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." - Jesus

RICHARD

Well now that is very interesting for sure

dgrimm60

Thank ye dgrimm.

EGW:

Fearful sights of a supernatural character will soon be revealed in the heavens, in token of the power of miracle-working demons. The spirits of devils will go forth to the kings of the earth and to the whole world, to fasten them in deception, and urge them on to unite with Satan in his last struggle against the government of heaven. By these agencies, rulers and subjects will be alike deceived. Persons will arise pretending to be Christ Himself, and claiming the title and worship which belong to the world's Redeemer. They will perform wonderful miracles of healing and will profess to have revelations from heaven contradicting the testimony of the Scriptures.

The Crowning Deception

As the crowning act in the great drama of deception, Satan himself will personate Christ. The church has long professed to look to the Saviour's advent as the consummation of her hopes. Now the great deceiver will make it appear that Christ has come. In different parts of the earth, Satan will manifest himself among men as a majestic being of dazzling brightness, resembling the description of the Son of God given by John in the Revelation. Revelation 1:13-15. The glory that surrounds him is unsurpassed by anything that mortal eyes have yet beheld. The shout of triumph rings out upon the air: "Christ has come! Christ has come!" The people prostrate themselves in adoration before him, while he lifts up his hands and

pronounces a blessing upon them, as Christ blessed His disciples when He was upon the earth. His voice is soft and subdued, yet full of melody. In gentle, compassionate tones he presents some of the same gracious, heavenly truths which the Saviour uttered; he heals the diseases of the people, and then, in his assumed character of Christ, he claims to have changed the Sabbath to Sunday, and commands all to hallow the day which he has blessed. He declares that those who persist in keeping holy the seventh day are blaspheming his name by refusing to listen to his angels sent to them with light and truth. This is the strong, almost overmastering delusion. Like the Samaritans who were deceived by Simon Magus, the multitudes, from the least to the greatest, give heed to these sorceries, saying: This is "the great power of God." Acts 8:10.

But the people of God will not be misled. The teachings of this false christ are not in accordance with the Scriptures. His blessing is pronounced upon the worshipers of the beast and his image, the very class upon whom the Bible declares that God's unmingled wrath shall be poured out.

And, furthermore, Satan is not permitted to counterfeit the manner of Christ's advent. The Saviour has warned His people against deception upon this point, and has clearly foretold the manner of His second coming. "There shall arise false christs, and false prophets, and shall show great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect. . . . Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, He is in the desert; go not forth; behold, He is in the secret chambers; believe it not. For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be." Matthew 24:24-27, 31; 25:31; Revelation 1:7; 1 Thessalonians 4:16, 17. This coming there is no possibility of counterfeiting. It will be universally known—witnessed by the whole world.

The Safeguard of the Christian

Only those who have been diligent students of the Scriptures and who have received the love of the truth will be shielded from the powerful delusion that takes the world captive. {DD 41,42}

I believe that the Last Day Events, referenced above, will occur after the resurrection, hence, the Sea of People and resurrected world leaders who, once again, form armies that seek to conquer the world, and succeed.

Nebuchadnezzar will be there, ruler of the first, and greatest, of the four Last Day Kingdoms. Just as the LORD can control birds, animals, insects, and fish, so too, will Nebuchadnezzar, and others, have those powers in the Last Days.

Telepathic assaults from evil forces will overpower and subjugate all of those who are not loyal to the LORD. Likely, Bibles will no longer be in existence, so all that we will have to fight against demonic mind control is our memory of scripture and the testimony of the Two Witnesses and the Three Messengers of the Last Days.

There are, indeed, extraterrestrial civilizations out there, somewhere, but religion has corrupted the world with myths and superstitions about the Kingdom of the Stars, leaving us with a distorted and fanciful picture of angels floating on clouds, magic words, "miracles", etc. What we will see, I expect, is a highly advanced technology that no Bible writer could describe without the more scientific terms that we are accustomed to hearing in our day.

The Parable of the Lamb and the Pigpen https://www.createspace.com/3401451

Off-topic, but... are you saying that Nebuchadnezzar will be evil again when he's resurrected?

• Members

Interesting piece of news. :)

I wonder if he will be able to stand tall at the second coming should it happen in his life time, or will he be crying for the rocks to fall to cover him.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Whether the resurrected Nebuchadnezzar will be evil or good, I don't know, but he will conquer the whole world in a very short time. As his dream indicated, he will be able to control the birds of the air, the animals, and more, likely. Perhaps he will have extraterrestrial weaponry at his disposal that convinces everyone to submit to his rule.

Babylon after the resurrection may very well be the first One World government, but not for long.

I suppose that it is possible that extraterrestrials will appear before the resurrection. Perhaps they will assist in the rebuilding of the Temple, a massive, blast-resistant structure described in Ezekiel, and enable Israel to rule the world in peace.

I don't know why extraterrestrials would want to meet with the UN. It seems like that would be a waste of time, trying to communicate with self-serving politicians. I would expect something more like a world-wide take-over.

The Parable of the Lamb and the Pigpen https://www.createspace.com/3401451

• Moderators

I don't remember Ellen mentioning extraterrestrials.

What do you think fallen angels are? They are not of this earth, are they?

I seriously doubt Ellen White knew the word "extraterrestrials" just like she probably didn't know the word "homosexual." (The first known use of the latter was in 1892, and the first use of the former was between 1865 and 1870. Words take a while to work their way into common usage.) But when she talks about Satan coming as a beautiful being from outside of the earth and somewhere from space, what is that if not an extraterrestrial?

• Moderators

Quote:
Do you think there is any potential for a good novel (and of course, a film) from the perspective of SDAs understanding of prophecy?

It depends. Most people wouldn't be crazy about a movie whose main point is that Sunday will be the mark of the beast, since that's not really relevant to their lives.

That is true. That subject, however, does come up in a famous best-seller and film, The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. If you have access to the book, see pages 251, 252. It's pretty amazing to see those things in that book.

But the main action or theme couldn't be the Sabbath/Sunday issue. As you say, people wouldn't see the relevancy of it. Yet a good book or film could help people see its relevancy at least somewhat. But the main theme of the film would be the end of the world and Christ's Second Coming and the last-day events leading up to it, of which the Sabbath-Sunday issue would only be a relatively minor aspect, as I see it. I envision it as being the story of two families-- primarily two men-- one of which is "lost" at the end and the other "saved." The plot tells the story of why one is lost and the other saved.

I think there's a real potential for such a book and film if it's done right.

• Moderators

Thanks for posting, Richard. Every Seventh-day Adventist should know and undestand what they say.

• Moderators

So what would be the tests? I mean, it would kind of suck to be a real extra-terrestrial being, having flown hundreds of lightyears to greet the people of earth, only to be immediately and automatically considered to be a demon!

Truth is important

So what would be the tests? I mean, it would kind of suck to be a real extra-terrestrial being, having flown hundreds of lightyears to greet the people of earth, only to be immediately and automatically considered to be a demon!
Yes. "He came unto His own and His own received Him not."

September 27, 2010 8:52AM

[size:11pt]THE United Nations was set today to appoint a Malaysian astrophysicist to act as Earth's first contact for any aliens that may come visiting.

Mazlan Othman, the head of the UN's little-known Office for Outer Space Affairs (UNOOSA), is to describe her potential new role next week at a scientific conference at the Royal Society’s Kavli conference centre in Buckinghamshire.

She is scheduled to tell delegates that the recent discovery of hundreds of planets around other stars has made the detection of extraterrestrial life more likely than ever before - and that means the UN must be ready to coordinate humanity’s response to any “first contact”.

I believe that they will come to Alberta to see me first. My wife says I have ideas they will be interested in.

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

I think the Bible would offer us some clues on such a test. Anyone/thing that comes to Earth, refuting God's law would fail the test.

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

• Moderators

That's just it: almost all the world will accept, not reject, the extra-terrestrial(s) that appears on our door-step. Humans will accept this beautiful being with open arms. He'll be looked upon as a savior because he will claim to have all the solutions to this world's problems.

However, the true extra-terrestrials-- that is, the unfallen beings who live on other worlds-- will never want to come in contact with fallen human beings. If we trust our own eyes more than we do God's revelation, we will be deceived. Satan is setting up the world now for just such a deception.

• Moderators

I think the Bible would offer us some clues on such a test. Anyone/thing that comes to Earth, refuting God's law would fail the test.

Exactly. Ellen White indicates that demons in human form will appear as the resurrected apostles claiming that God sent them to tell the world that the Sabbath has indeed been changed. I'm sure they will appear on TV all over the world and it will be undeniable that they are who they claim to be. They will be able to give details of the ancient world and of things that only the apostles could know. If people want scientific proof, they will have it.

• Moderators

And if the aliens are not at all humanoid, and have no views at all on the Sabbath? I mean, they're very unlikely to be Star Trek bumpy foreheads... even beautiful ones.

Guess we'll see, but your post above completely rules out the possibility of real aliens, John317: just seems like making a definitive ruling based on a whole lot of speculation.

Truth is important