ClubAdventist is back!

Sanchez Fired After Stewart Remarks

Dr. Shane

CNN's Sanchez fired after calling Stewart a bigot

Quote:
Sanchez said that Stewart is bigoted toward "everybody else that's not like him." He said Stewart "can't relate to what I grew up with," saying his family had been poor and he had seen prejudice directed at his father.

Sanchez dismisses it when Dominick points out that Stewart, who is Jewish, is also a minority.

"I'm telling you that everyone who runs CNN is a lot like Stewart, and a lot of people who run all the other networks are a lot like Stewart, and to imply that somehow they, the people in this country who are Jewish, are an oppressed minority?" Sanchez said, adding a sarcastic "yeah."

"I can't see someone not getting a job these days because they're Jewish," he said.

Certainly Jews that refuse to work on Saturday are discriminated against in the job market.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

I don't think that it can be called "discrimination" in most cases that it is. It's not the employer's fault that the world wants to take Sundays as the day of the week they don't work.

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

In the US, most do not have a problem working on Sunday but that is a different issue. The US Supreme Court has ruled that employers must provide an individual his or her day of worship off in most cases. This is a result of the Civil Rights Act, it is not a constitutional right. Our religious liberty department won a big case against UPS a few years ago that fired a driver after he converted to Adventism and would no longer work his delivery route on Sabbath.

That may be; but it still does not mean "discrimination" by most employers. Most employers do not discriminate, they are only trying to go with the laws in place, and keep their business running. My only question here is with the word "discriminate."

And I can trust"

We all discriminate every day. Discriminating is simply a process of choosing one thing over another. We may choose regular unleaded gas instead of premium. We choose what we watch on TV, the food we eat, the clothing we wear and so on. The Civil Rights Act simply makes certain types of discrimination illegal. So when we use the word discrimination, we are normally using it in respect to the Civil Rights Act. It would be unusual to say, "I discriminated against the mash potatoes in favor of cornbread stuffing." although it may be proper English.

Well it looks like so called "sabbath-keepers" are getting in the habit of "discriminating" against the truth in this matter, where they take employers to court because they don't want to do their job. Oh; I forgot. They will say they want to do their job - but it has to be on their terms; not their employers...why would the employer have anything to do with it? That was foolish and so "illegal" for me to think such an outrageous thing. I think in many cases, but not all; Adventists have taken this thing way too far. Using the Sabbath issue as an excuse for huge lawsuits and "settlements" is a mockery. And, of course, the true Adventists who work in a health care profession don't have to worry about this at all! They just work whenever they feel like it.

And I can trust"

• 1 month later...

Well the Sabbath is a serious religious issue that cuts down to the core of religious liberty. The Supreme Court has ruled that employers must make accommodation for Sabbath observance for its employees under the Civil Rights Act.

What the employer gets is a deal, really. A Sabbath keeper is generally a better employee (as is most every dedicated Christian regardless of their denomination). They tend to show up to work on time, not stretch out break times, work more ambitiously, not call in sick when they are not and generally be more honest, hard-working employees.

• Members

Well the Sabbath is a serious religious issue that cuts down to the core of religious liberty. The Supreme Court has ruled that employers must make accommodation for Sabbath observance for its employees under the Civil Rights Act.

What the employer gets is a deal, really. A Sabbath keeper is generally a better employee (as is most every dedicated Christian regardless of their denomination). They tend to show up to work on time, not stretch out break times, work more ambitiously, not call in sick when they are not and generally be more honest, hard-working employees.

I do agree with what your saying, and also disagree that that holds true more than 50% of the time. In my nearly 45 years of working for the denomination and non-denomination, I have found most adventists to be the exact opposite.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

As a private sector employer, I have found that those I employ that are dedicated to their faith (regardless which faith it is) tend to be better employees. I have employed "Christians" that attend church on a regular basis but compromise their faith all week long. Those do not tend to be any better workers than the unchurched.