ClubAdventist is back!

Ok. Here is a sacred cow - our magazines

Stan

What if they were not laid out months/years in advance?what if signs was about signs of the times?

What if there were more issues in issues?

What if your spouse says they are nit sure of the sexual orientation?

What if your child mocks grossly overweight people?

What if your neighbors red blood never goes higher then their redneck?

What about what happens when 5 brothers who are all ford truck people and one buys a chevy? What happens if they are Methodist and that same person becomes an Adventist?

What happens when you remember that you were touched sexually by a same sex teacher back in school?

What if you expenses every month are $1,000 more than you income

What if??????

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

• Members

What if you expenses every month are 1,000 more than you income

I know what that's like. :(

Have had that for the past 2 1/2 years since I lost my job in the beginning of '08. :(

What if we didn't rely on the Lord?

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Stan, people are getting those answers from other Christian publications, and some non-christian ones too. Some of US are getting our answers from those same sources too.

As far as the financial ones, I was a Larry Burkett follower, and now it's Mary Hunt, whose Debt-Proof Living publication and website and forum I subscribe to. She has quite a following, and we all support and encourage each other at the forum, and ask for and give each other advice. We just plain socialize sometimes too.

Catherine

God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26.

"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis

• Moderators

Stan, people are getting those answers from other Christian publications, and some non-christian ones too. Some of US are getting our answers from those same sources too.

I guess the question is why do we not write, in an accessible way, on these issues? It seems as if in many ways we are stuck in the 1970's or is it 1870's. Are we afraid? Do we think that these issues are not part of the 3AM?

Our local Union magazine is doing a better job in recent years. In June there was an issue that dealt with depression. It provided some good up to date information.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

I have really enjoyed Liberty Magazine and Vibrant Life. I think we need to do more to get these out into the hands of non-believers. When I was younger I also enjoyed Listen magazine.

I do think more people watch DVDs than read magazines. I record programs from Hope Channel and 3ABN and share with non-Adventist friends quite often. I would like to see a TV program focused on debt-free living. A lot of the other issues Stan mentioned in his first post are often dealt with on programs aired on Adventist channels. I don't get Signs of The Times so I am not sure what they are dealing with. I know our local church does have a number of Signs boxes in the community.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Moderators

Sorry to say Shane Hope and 3ABN don't do much for me or the people that I associate with. Its way too Vanilla. It's good stuff but I have no desire to watch it.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

It grew on me. It took me between one and two years before I actually started enjoying Adventist TV. I think I had to wean myself off the bad stuff. I am not sure exactly how that process worked. If you get a dish, you will get Amazing Discoveries too and that is far from Vanilla. Maybe more like Rocky Road. The jury is still out on that one.

GLG. I was thinking more of our outreach magazines.

I know Stan. What I'm saying is that other Christian publishers are way ahead of us on this. But I imagine it takes a lot of sources and resources to fill a magazine with useful information on practical and relevant issues. And those other magazines are full of advertisements, which is how they actually pay for all those resources. If they required their readers to pay the whole cost of putting all those relevant articles into their magazines, the publishers would be out of business in no time. Our publishers don't have so many potential advertisers they can call on. This also makes the magazines much more expensive relative to their content than other Christian publications.

I used to subscribe to both Women of Spirit and Today's Christian Woman. I loved them both, but I got a lot more at a lower cost with Today's Christian Woman. Sure, more than half of the actual physical space was taken with advertising, but I was still getting 5 or 6 times the content for 2/3 of the cost compared to Women of Spirit. Non-adventists aren't going to pay that much for what they can get so much more cheaply elsewhere, and there is a limit to how much Adventists are willing or able to pay to send those magazine to their friends and relatives.

I agree with your OP, but I can also understand the reason it is the way it is. I don't know how much our outreach publications pay the writers of their articles, but my son has sold 2 stories to Guide Magazine, and judging by what he was paid relative to the time spent, anybody who'd like to write for them had better not quit their day job.

The only way it is going to change is if someone can come up with a way to make it affordable. And in today's economy (from what I'm reading, the current state may actually be the new "normal," and I think they are probably right about that) it's not going to get any easier.

Catherine

"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis

Also, from what I'm reading, people are turning more and more away from print publications to ezines. Just a few days ago, I read that more and more publishers are discontinuing the print versions of their magazines in favor of online versions. Woman's Day is even offering their magazine as a subscription iPhone app.

Catherine

If it would take ads for our Hospitals and other great organizations I would be fine..

I have not seen a mag for a few months..

If it is not relative to the weak, wounded and worried... then we need to start a new one.

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

Our magazines have the classic problem of needing to serve two masters. Even, or perhaps because, they are outreach magazines, they are dependent upon financial support of church members, many of whom would object to an approach that might be much more effective outreach.

Virtually every attempt to stretch in the directions you are suggesting meets with strong internal resistance of self-appointed censors.

“the slovenliness of our language makes it easier to have foolish thoughts.” George Orwell

Also, from what I'm reading, people are turning more and more away from print publications to ezines. Just a few days ago, I read that more and more publishers are discontinuing the print versions of their magazines in favor of online versions. Woman's Day is even offering their magazine as a subscription iPhone app.
I've suggested to the editor of Guide Magazine that they should produce it for the Kindle as well as in print. It would be really nice if that was available. Think of all the paper we could save if all the Adventist magazines were available electronically...

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde

�Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." - Jesus

• Members

Originally Posted By: GreatLakesGramma
I've suggested to the editor of Guide Magazine that they should produce it for the Kindle as well as in print. It would be really nice if that was available. Think of all the paper we could save if all the Adventist magazines were available electronically...

At what price, Grasshopper? Not everyone can afford a Kindle or a computer, much less an iPhone. If both paper and e-versions were produced, think of the extra cost to the publishers in terms of time, equipment, software, updates, technical assistance, etc. None of that is free.

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

Well, if they were spending less money producing paper copies, they would have all that extra money to spend on the electronic copy production. It might not be viable until a larger percentage of Adventists have ebook readers (or at least a computer with internet access), but I think it would work.

�Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." - Jesus

• Members

Sorry to say Shane Hope and 3ABN don't do much for me or the people that I associate with. Its way too Vanilla. It's good stuff but I have no desire to watch it.

Would that be French Vanilla? You wish for more Chocolate? Or would Mocha be okay? I think Native Americans would like more Strawberry.

j/k people...j/k

backtopic

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

I had to replace my air conditioner this week and bought one at Best Buy. What I really wanted was a Kindle. My new A/C even cost more than a Kindle. But I Kindle wouldn't be so great in the South Texas heat so I went with the A/C.

Would that be French Vanilla? You wish for more Chocolate? Or would Mocha be okay? I think Native Americans would like more Strawberry.

If is Ben & Jerry's... it's all good.

Why is Adventist TV chocolate if chocolate has caffeine? :\

(I'm just taking this further off topic, but it had to be said...)

I believe that The Messenger is a good outreach tool for church and non church people. I can name non church people who feel it always has some sort of pertinent article in it for real life issues.

Actually, I could say the same about several of our outreach mags.

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ