ClubAdventist is back!

A. Graham Maxwell, Ph.D.

Jeannieb43

• Moderators

Dr. Arthur Graham Maxwell, a professor of religion at Loma Linda University for many years [and prior to that head of the religion dept. at Pacific Union College] passed away on Nov. 28, 2010 in Loma Linda. He was nearly 90 years old.

He was the eldest son of "Uncle Arthur" Maxwell. He was a graduate of Adventist colleges, plus Univ. of Chicago Divinity School [where he had to defend his SDA beliefs as a part of his Ph.D. program -- and theological training].

He was the kindest, most unselfish Adventist preacher I've known. Although many other SDA preachers attacked his "larger view" of the plan of salvation, he never responded in kind. He never attributed any ill motives to those who accused him of being too "soft" on legalistic things.

His weekly Sabbath school class in Loma Linda was for 20 years or so the largest S.S. class on campus; they had to constantly search for larger lecture halls where it could be held, because it outgrew each space, one after another. His "God in All 66" lecture series was held weekly in the LLU Sanctuary for many months, and it also became available on tape. The main theme each week was, What does this book [of the Bible] teach us about God?

He leaves his widow, two adult children and several grandchildren. Many of his siblings predeceased him.

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

• Moderators

A great man and teacher of the Bible.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• Moderators

I have appreciated his classes, recordings and our discussions. He will be missed. What is sad about the attacks of his view is that he felt that the critics did not fairly understand his view and that it was ideas that he never held that they were attacking. He would say things like "It's not so mucht that I mind them attacking my views, but I wish that it would be nice if they would actually attack my actual views for a change"

He tells how he called one of his critics, a major professor in one of our schools, and asked what this person had against his views, since he was teaching in class that Dr. Maxwell was wrong. The critic gave him a list and Dr. Maxwell said "I do not believe, nor teach any of those things you are saying I am teaching" to which the critic said "yes you do" slammed down the phone and refused any further attempts for Graham Maxwell to contact him whether by phone or in person.

He said that he could not respond to the book "Who's Got the Truth" because "The Author wants me to defend those views he has assigned to me. How can I defend what I do not believe and never taught?"

Sadly (and you know this gets up my dandruf) people still accuse him of these beliefs, and there has been in recent years a trend among some to embrace the ideas that have been falsely attributed to him.

Althought he could have done more in teaching about deeper Bible study, he did a wonderful job in what he did, calling our minds back to the Bible and what the Bible and Mrs. White teach about the nature of hell fire, and challenging us to re-examine theology in light of this truth since too much of theology was based on false views of hell. He will be missed. I am so sad to hear of his death.

• Moderators

Are you referring to books such as "Hot Potatoes"?

Yes, Dr. Maxwell has been misquoted so many times. He was such a patient, kind man, who never spoke ill of anyone. It's a shame that some purported Adventists set out to tar his reputation. His picture of God is so beautiful, and so reasonable.

John 14:9 "He who has seen Me has seen the Father." He reminded us often that people were never afraid of Jesus when He was on this earth. And that He was just as kind and loving as was His Father. Jesus came to this earth to show us the Father. Ellen White wrote that if God the Father had come to this earth instead of Jesus, to die for mankind, "history would not have been one whit different."

Dr. Maxwell was so skilled at portraying that kindness himself.

• Moderators

I completely agree with you.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• Moderators

Exactly; It is such a shame that his views were so distorted that he could not recognize his views in these so called discriptions of his views.

Dr Maxwell got one thing right "God is love".

He often tried to use that one truth as an excuse to promote a multitude of errors, as if some kind of papal blessing over error of the form "pay no mind -- God is love" would turn the error into fish. But at least the truth he did have was still there in all that mess.

in Christ,

Bob

John 8:32 - The Truth will make you free

“The righteousness of Christ will not cover one cherished sin." COL 316.

I met Dr. Maxwell once and he was such a man that in all his demeanor,i was reminded of He who is our Creator,Jesus The Christ.

U

It took me a few years to deal with his teaching methods but am glad the Loed kept leading me back to what he was saying and the further bible study that required.He said of God what is right and will be so glad when the resurrection comes to hear Jesus say to him those words,You said of me what is right. Rest in Peace Dr.Maxwell.

Christopher

JOHN 17:3 and 4

I have also enjoyed his SS classes and was disappointed when he turned Pineknoll over to Jonathan Gallagher but I've come to appreciate him as well.

Graham Maxwell is one man I hope to be able to meet on the world made new. I expect he'll be sitting at the foot of Jesus too.

I know that his family will miss his wisdom.

Wakan Tanka Kici Un

~~Child of Christ~~

• 5 weeks later...
  • Moderators

His memorial service will be held Sabbath, January 8, 2011, at 4:30 p.m. at the Loma Linda University Church. It will also be telecast on LLBN.tv.

While I did enjoy his Sabbath School classes ... I intend to be watching football at that hour. It's play-off time for the NFL.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.