ClubAdventist is back!

Should the Church be Don't Ask, Don't Tell?

Stan

• Members

Quite frankly, I don't see why there should be a problem. Heterosexual people don't go around proclaiming their sexual preference. I don't see the necessity for gays to do it either. In fact, I don't understand why there needs to be gay parades, gay this, gay that. Who gives a ripsnort about what someone does in private. Keep it private and out of my face!

There. How's that? I feel better now.

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

The church is to minister to the needs of its members. Our biggest need is healing and wholeness. None of us need to publicly confess our private sins. Private sins need only private repentance.

The problem with homosexuality is that it is a counterfeit of the devil. That said, much of what passes for heterosexual marriage today is also a counterfeit of the devil. The marriage union is intended to be symbolic of the divine union God wants with mankind. Perverted heterosexual marriage, as well homosexual union, doesn't achieve what God intended. The the people involved (hetro or homo) are broken and in need of ministering from the church.

If the church takes on the "don't ask, don't tell" that means there will be no healing and restoration for the broken members.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Moderators

My own experience is that the problem would arise only if someone said that they were gay and proud of it and intended to keep practicing no matter what the policy of the church is.

I have known some SDAs who said exactly that. One was a woman who is in a lesbian relationship and was a teacher in the School of Health at Loma Linda. They let her go when she got married to her partner and sent out wedding invitations.

This forum is the only place where I've told anyone (outside of gays) that I'm gay, and I've never been asked by anyone in the church if I'm gay or not. If someone at church were to ask me, my answer would be, "Why do you ask?"

The right time to ask me would have been when I was living openly as a gay person with another gay man.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• Moderators

Do you mean employees such as pastors, teachers, and conference officers?

I think the church pretty much has that policy already, although it is not an official one. I don't think church officers try to find out if someone is gay, but it might occasionally happen.

I think it's important for the church to allow people with those issues to seek help without feeling that by doing so they automatically risk losing their positions in the church.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• Administrators

I agree with John on this. That is the default policy and practice of the Church.

So I guess I wonder if you are asking if this should change.

That leaves two approaches. Make it an issue and actively purge all the homosexuals from the workforce or officially encourage the gays to come out of the closet with the assurance that their jobs will be safe.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)