ClubAdventist is back!

Leon Cornforth

Neil D

Leon Cornforth (1927 - 2010)

4cf8cf1b-421a-41b8-9a88-6f4a8cc63360.jpg

Leon Moore Cornforth passed to his rest from heart failure, on Dec. 19, 2010, at West Valley Medical Center in Caldwell,.

He was a minister of the Seventh-day Adventist Church and a "warrior for Christ" for over 60 years. Leon was born on a farm near Aberdeen, on June 25, 1927. He has a twin brother (Lyle) and they were the last of 11 children born to Charlie and Nettie Cornforth.

He attended school in Aberdeen going the miles to and from in a wagon or sleigh until the buses started to run. In 10th grade, he became a Seventh-day Adventist and finished high school at Gem State Academy in Caldwell. Leon then attended Walla Walla College where he took theology and became a minister in 1949. He married Betty Jean Henderson from Montana, the love of his life, the day after graduation.

They came to Gem State Academy to become Dean of Men and teachers right after their honeymoon.

They've said, that they were married 30 days and had 40 boys, and they loved it. In the summer of 1950, they manned Brundage Mountain Lookout for the forest service. During the '60s he was president of the Allied Civic Forces of Idaho.

Leon was called to full-time ministry and served as pastor, administrator, and evangelist in Idaho, Oregon, Washington, Georgia, Tennessee and Arizona.

He became Circulation Manager for the Pacific Press Publishing Association in Mountain View, Calif., in 1975 and was partly responsible for the PPPA moving to Nampa.

During this time he traveled most of the United States and Canada.

In 1980 he was called back "home" to Idaho to finish working and "retired" out of Caldwell on a view property where he enjoyed watching the sunsets when he was home.

He traveled to Brazil and India to hold Evangelistic Series in retirement and kept busy speaking and holding Bible studies, raising funds for improvements of Camp-IdaHaven in McCall and Gem State Academy, "the school he loved," mowing the three-acre homesite and playing with his great-grandsons.

He is survived by his wife of 61 years, Betty; his daughter, Cheryl Beck of Gresham, Ore.; his daughter and son-in-law, LeAnn and Gary Crawford of Caldwell; grandson, Justin Crawford of Meridian; his granddaughter and husband, Janette and Brad Soule, and two great-grandsons, Hayden and Logan of Nampa; his twin brother, Lyle Cornforth of Gresham, Ore., and many nieces, nephews and cousins.

He will be truly missed by family and friends all over the world.

A memorial service will be held, Tuesday, Dec. 28, at 4 p.m., at the Caldwell SDA Church, corner of Linden and Indiana.

Memorials can be made to: Gem State Academy -Endowment Fund, c/o Idaho Conference of SDA, 7777 W. Fairview Ave., Boise, ID 83704-8418.

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

• Moderators

I'm really sorry to see this notice of Elder Cornforth's death. He was a special man and a great Christian leader in our church.

He wrote a good book, Meeting the Mormon challenge with love: The book for Mormons.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• Administrators

He wasn't the one who wrote the book on Mormonism, was he? That name so rings a bell...

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Moderators

He wrote a good book, Meeting the Mormon challenge with love: The book for Mormons.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• Administrators

Exactly! Then I have met him and remember being thoroughly pleased in chatting with him. He was a huge help to me in understanding Mormonism, as I have Mormon relatives. I just loved his loving attitude.

Over the years I have been blessed in that God has put many people in my path who have showed me how to relate to people of other faiths. He was one of them.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

Sorry, John317, I missed your prior post telling about the book.

• Moderators

Have you seen his book at the ABC? I've seen copies here in Loma Linda. I've noticed you can order it online, too.

Elder Cornforth's father or mother was a Mormon.

• Administrators

We used to sell it and might have one, but it's been a while since I've seen one.

• Moderators

I got to know him during the 1970s. He worked with an aunt of mine who wrote children's books, and when she passed away, Elder Cornforth presided at her funeral.