ClubAdventist is back!

It Must Be Possible To Stop Sinning

Overaged

I will stick with our prophet. She is very clear on the assurance of Salvation. :)

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• John317

• Woody

• Overaged

• Norman Byers, N.D.

And if all else fails ... I could rely on the clear word of scripture.

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

The clear word of Scripture and our prophet don't disagree:

1 John 2:3

And by this we know that we have come to know him, if we keep his commandments.

1 John 4:13

By this we know that we abide in him and he in us, because he has given us of his Spirit.

1 John 3:9

No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God's seed abides in him, and he cannot keep on sinning because he has been born of God.

Romans 8:9

You, however, are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you. Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him.

Romans 8:14

For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

I'm not going to play your game John317 so please don't bother me anymore. I could come back and quote out of context Ellen White and scripture with you also. But, you are just not worth it. You have already told me I'm going to Hell. How many times is that necessary?

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

I have never told you that you are going to hell.

You are putting words in my mouth that I have never said.

I don't use that kind of language and I have never said such words to anyone in my life.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• Moderators

I'm not going to play your game John317 so please don't bother me anymore. I could come back and quote out of context Ellen White and scripture with you also.

It's no game at all. Far from it.

I write with all readers who come to the Forum in mind and not merely for the original poster.

The following quotes are not out of context, are they?

If you feel they are, please show how.

Quote:
He who has not sufficient faith in Christ to believe that He can keep him from sinning, has not the faith that will give him an entrance into the kingdom of God.--Manuscript 161, 1897.

{3SM 360.4}

"Oh, yes," some say, "we are saved in doing nothing. In fact, I am saved. I need not keep the law of God. I am saved by the righteousness of Jesus Christ." Christ came to our world to bring all men back to allegiance to God. To take the position that you can break God's law, for Christ has done it all, is a position of death..{FW 71}

This goody-goody religion that makes light of sin and that is forever dwelling upon the love of God to the sinner, encourages the sinner to believe that God will save him while he continues in sin and he knows it to be sin. This is the way that many are doing who profess to believe present truth. The truth is kept apart from their life, and that is the reason it has no more power to convict and convert the soul. There must be a straining of every nerve and spirit and muscle to leave the world, its customs, its practices, and its fashions. . . . {3SM 155.1}

Second Advent Ends Soul Preparation-- 1888.--The robe of your character must be washed till it is spotless, in the fountain opened for all uncleanness. Your moral worth will be weighed in the balances of the sanctuary, and if you are found wanting, you will be at an eternal loss. All the coarseness, all the roughness, must be removed from your character before Jesus comes; for when He comes, the preparation for every soul is ended. {3SM 155.3}

If you have not laid aside your envy, your jealousies, your hatred one against another, you cannot enter into the kingdom of God. You would only carry the same disposition with you; but there will be nothing of this character in the world to come. Nothing will exist there but love and joy and harmony. Some will have brighter crowns than others, but there will be no jealous thoughts in any heart among the redeemed. Each one will be perfectly satisfied, for all will be rewarded according to their work.--Signs of the Times, Feb. 10, 1888. {3SM 155.4}

• Moderators

I will stick with our prophet. She is very clear on the assurance of Salvation. :)

Here are some wonderful passages from Ellen White's writings on the topic of salvation:

The work of gaining salvation is one of copartnership, a joint operation. There is to be co-operation between God and the repentant sinner. This is necessary for the formation of right principles in the character. Man is to make earnest efforts to overcome that which hinders him from attaining to perfection. But he is wholly dependent upon God for success. Human effort of itself is not sufficient. Without the aid of divine power it avails nothing. God works and man works. Resistance of temptation must come from man, who must draw his power from God. On the one side there is infinite wisdom, compassion, and power; on the other, weakness, sinfulness, absolute helplessness. {AA 482.2}

God wishes us to have the mastery over ourselves. But He cannot help us without our consent and co-operation. The divine Spirit works through the powers and faculties given to man. Of ourselves, we are not able to bring the purposes and desires and inclinations into harmony with the will of God; but if we are "willing to be made willing," the Saviour will accomplish this for us, "Casting down imaginations,

and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ." 2 Corinthians 10:5. {AA 482.3}

He who would build up a strong, symmetrical character, he who would be a well-balanced Christian, must give all and do all for Christ; for the Redeemer will not accept divided service. Daily he must learn the meaning of self-surrender. He must study the word of God, learning its meaning and obeying its precepts. Thus he may reach the standard of Christian excellence. Day by day God works with him, perfecting the character that is to stand in the time of final test. And day by day the believer is working out before men and angels a sublime experiment, showing what the gospel can do for fallen human beings. {AA 483.1}

Peter's fall was not instantaneous, but gradual. Self-confidence led him to the belief that he was saved, and step after step was taken in the downward path, until he could deny his Master. Never can we safely put confidence in self or feel, this side of heaven, that we are secure against temptation. Those who accept the Saviour, however sincere their conversion, should never be taught to say or to feel that they are saved. This is misleading. Every one should be taught to cherish hope and faith; but even when we give ourselves to Christ and know that He accepts us, we are not beyond the reach of temptation. God's Word declares, "Many shall be purified, and made white, and tried" (Dan. 12:10). Only he who endures the trial will receive the crown of life (James 1:12).

Those who accept Christ, and in their first confidence say, I am saved, are in danger of trusting to themselves. They lose sight of their own weakness and their constant need of divine strength. They are unprepared for Satan's devices, and under temptation many, like Peter, fall into the very depths of sin. We are admonished, "Let him that thinketh he standeth, take heed lest he fall" (1 Cor. 10:12). Our only safety is in constant distrust of self, and dependence on Christ. [CHRIST'S OBJECT LESSONS, PP. 154, 155.] {NL 42.2}

I see you guys have effectively ruined another topic...

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

I have never told you that you are going to hell.

You are putting words in my mouth that I have never said.

I don't use that kind of language and I have never said such words to anyone in my life.

And I can trust"

• Moderators

This was a true statement, Overaged.

Since when is it "a bunch of filthy [censored]" to tell someone what you believe is Bible truth?

Is it wrong now to tell people to repent and be converted?

If anyone says that he practices sin and that he has no intention of stopping his sins, yet at the same time, he claims that he is "saved," people have a right to express their view of this.

I have an obligation to tell him that this is a serious error.

That is not telling him "to go to hell," as he claims. Again, I have never told him he is going to hell. I don't talk that way to people.

• Moderators

It sounds like a good possibility that you are not truly converted and that you do not have the Holy Spirit leading your life.

Originally Posted By: overaged
Just because you are some hot shot moderator doesn't give you the right to say this about anyone.

Every Christian has a right to say this to someone if the evidence points in that direction, and in this case, it does point in that direction. I am going by words and actions of someone who tells us that he is practing willfull sin and yet claims to be saved and that he will go on practicing willful sin until the day he dies. If I or others can't honestly and sincerely express their views of this, we might as well fold up shop now.

Quote:
If anyone says that he practices sin and that he has no intention of stopping his sins, yet at the same time, he claims that he is "saved," people have a right to express their view of this.

John317 Stop this now. This is against the rules. And you could be banned for it. Putting words in people's mouths and misrepresenting what they say is not only against the rules but is not Christian. Please stop.

I've never said that I have no intentions of stopping sin. Quite the contrary. Sin frustrates me. I don't want it in my life and I plead with God to remove it from my life.

So please stop your lies about me. I hope this sets the record straight and that no more lies like this will be coming from you. Stop it now John317. This should settle it.

I realize that Stan lets his moderators behave in any way they want their forums to behave. But this is well beyond any civil and responsible Christian behavior. And I love you as a CHristian brother too much to not tell you the truth.

I believe in Hematology.

Quote:

That is not telling him "to go to hell,"

This is different. No you have never told me 'to go to hell'.

But you have told me "Redwood ... you are going to hell". That is the quote.

But whether you infer it or come right out and say it. I am tired of this. Please STOP. You don't have to convert me to whatever theory you might want to. And I ask that you stop trying. Just STOP it.

People see through this John317. It really doesn't reflect well on you or your cause.

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

...But you have told me "Redwood ... you are going to hell". That is the quote.

Where are you claiming to get the "quote"? Give the post# and the title of the discussion.

You say that you want people to obey the rules but you are putting words in people's mouths that they never said, which is prohibited by the rules.

I've never uttered or written the words you claim in my whole life.

No. Not until you quote me saying that I have no intentions of stopping sin. You may desire to deny what you said but at least I've quoted what you said. I am asking you to at least provide the quote you are basing your claim on.

I am simply not the subject of this thread. Please stop directing your comments about me. DO NOT USE MY NAME. I don't want your correction nor your advice. Stick to issues and not old battles and discussions about me personally.

Do not fabricate or misrepresent my beliefs. Simply stick to the issues and direct your conversation towards them and not me.

Please obey the rules and don't put words in other people mouths.

I believe in Hematology.

Every Christian has a right to say this to someone if the evidence points in that direction, and in this case, it does point in that direction.

You do the work of Satan on the internet with your cheap religious fanaticism.

(the hat should read "Church Family"...I'll get it corrected asap)

And I can trust"