ClubAdventist is back!

The Washington Post, Adventists & Abortion

Tammy

Talk is cheap!

Exactly! That is why I asked which pro-life organizations you financially support. I support Care-Net. How many hours of volunteer service do you give to crisis pregnancy centers? My wife and I take them used cars seats and baby clothing. Are you just filled with heated, inflammatory opinions or are you actually doing something for the cause?

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nic Samojluk

• doug yowell

• Dr. Shane

• Overaged

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are many false accusations you make here; you are not stupid, and you know full well what they are; they have been repeated by you and pointed out by me several times. To accuse the entire church of something just a small minority of individuals have done/are doing, is a false accusation. You are deliberately attacking the church with all kinds of other issues, mixed in with this one and calling it all the same issue. Your posting on this subject is totally disjointed, and disconnected. What you say here is like me saying, "OK. Stan Jensen's Dad went out and stole $50.00 from his neighbor. Therefore, SINCE THEY DIDN'T THEN DISOWN HIM AS FATHER OF THAT FAMILY, THEN THE WHOLE Stan Jensen family is guilty of theft."

What you say is that "a few Adventists have broken the 6th commandment; and therefore, BECAUSE THEY DON'T DISFELLOWSHIP THEM THE WHOLE CHURCH IS GUILTY OF GENOCIDE."

Both scenarios are totally unrelated to reality and the truth of the matter. You have not been able to say one word about what YOU are doing to support genuine pro-life activities, including organizations such as Birthright, which helps individuals and couples who are hit with unexpected, or unwanted pregnancy. The Church also places a heavy emphasis on this end of the scale with their teachings and programs re the family, and what God's ideal is, even when faced with unplanned pregnancy. As I said before, what you are doing has nothing to do with pro-life. It is a militant, feverish attack on the Church over a number of side-issues that you have distorted into your own private vendetta. You will never change anything anywhere for the better like this. You have now become part of the problem instead of the solution.

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

Nic...

Tell me again, how the Church failed in Rwanda?

I do agree there was some Adventist who support Hitler and the invasion into Poland and other atrocities.

You failed to mention that there were some Adventist who support GWB in the invasion of Iraq and other atrocities.

Seems a little off track, Stan. Maybe fodder for another thread.

Well why didn't you say this to Nic because he was the one who dragged other issues like this into it in the first place. methinks you are a little out in what they call "left field" on this comment.

And I can trust"

Originally Posted By: Nic Samojluk
Talk is cheap!

Exactly! That is why I asked which pro-life organizations you financially support. I support Care-Net. How many hours of volunteer service do you give to crisis pregnancy centers? My wife and I take them used cars seats and baby clothing. Are you just filled with heated, inflammatory opinions or are you actually doing something for the cause?

Nic IS a prolife ministry. Informing peoples's opinions about abortion realities is only one of the aspects of being prolife. Not everyone who volunteers at a CPC is required to put in time writing articles,sending letters to the editor,or standing in a picket line to prove they're true prolifers. Nor is everyone who is active in the communications aspect required to volunteer at a CPC. On the other hand, I'd be willing to bet that Nic would be open to volunteer his time or pennies (at 80+years of age)if Adventism would be willing to create, support,or promote an SDA CPC.If you demand volunteering as a proof of Nic's prolife loyalty then I think you should also demand it of the church that claims to be prolife.If the church actually was doing something(anything!!)to publically and actively promote a prolife reputation then I'm convinced that most of us would not only be involved in it but also bragging on what it was attempting to do.When the only reputation the church has is nebulus guidelines,a divided constituency, and charges of it's institutions actively performing elective abortions how can anyone in good conscience label it as being prolife?

Originally Posted By: doug yowell
Well why didn't you say this to Nic because he was the one who dragged other issues like this into it in the first place. methinks you are a little out in what they call "left field" on this comment.
I feel more like a centerfielder who has to back up both other fielders.I agree that Nic brought up the church " errors" but only in his response to the imlications that the church cannot make mistakes. There is overwhelming evidence concerning our failure during the Nazi era.Even if reports of Rwandan "errors" prove false it does not disprove Nic's point that we as a church have made moral blunders in the past. Nor can it prove that Nic is wrong on this issue. So why continue to focus on a red herring? Plus, Rwanda sounds like it would be a very interesting and informative discussion.Thus, my perfect throw home from the left field wall!

Sounds like Sleeping Adventist excuses #345 & #346 to me

post-4001-140967447708_thumb.gif

And I can trust"

Originally Posted By: Overaged
Joh 7:24 Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

thumbsup

I think Nic may be a lost cause. Well, I guess no one is really a lost cause. Maybe Nic will see the error of his ways and repent for being a talebearer and accuser of the brethern.

Did you know that those huge letters you displayed in your posting are equivalent to shouting. This is rather significant. When a person engaged in a discussion resorts to shouting, this is quite often an evidence that he no longer has a valid argument.

Another sign of weakness is when a person starts attacking the character of the opponent. This is another sign that the individual is on the loosing side. I hope you realize that you have given the readers both signs of weakness in a single posting. You have resorted to “shouting” and you have attacked your opponent without providing any evidence in support of your accusation.

I hope you will reconsider your strategy. Can we focus on the evidence instead of throwing mud against those who disagree with us? If you still think that I am a talebearer, then show me where I have erred in the facts I have been providing you and where I have misinterpreted Scripture or distorted the facts of history.

I hope you will reconsider your strategy. Can we focus on the evidence instead of throwing mud against those who disagree with us? If you still think that I am a talebearer, then show me where I have erred in the facts I have been providing you and where I have misinterpreted Scripture or distorted the facts of history.

This sounds like excuse #346. I am waiting for your "evidence."

post-4001-14096744771_thumb.gif

And I can trust"

Nic IS a prolife ministry.

Hot air is not a ministry. "Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world." (Ja. 1:27)

Did you know that those huge letters you displayed in your posting are equivalent to shouting[?]

No, I don't think that is correct. Using all capital letters is what is generally considered shouting in the text format.

Well; Nic wants to psycho-analyze me so lets allow it and see what he comes up with. LOL, his "hard evidence" will go soft once I compare his list to my wife's... orly

And I can trust"

Overage said: “The paltry blasphemy you call evidence is not; it is not even facts, let alone evidence. Quoting 23 year old surveys (without giving credible verifiable details), is something else we can add to your list of weapons against innocent people in the Church who have never had anything to do with abortions.”

I say: The survey I cited is in black and white in the pages of Spectrum magazine and the man who wrote it is the alleged main architect of our “Guidelines on Abortion,” Dr. Gerald Winslow, an ethics and religion LLU professor. You can check his curriculum on the Internet.

He is the one who reported to the world that five of our Adventist hospitals were engaged in elective abortions. Since when is it a sin to quote what one of our distinguished ethics leaders have put in print? Blasphemy is to fabricate false allegations out of thin air. All I did was to quote what one of the most reputable Adventist leaders have published, and you accuse me of blasphemy? Was not this the accusation used against Jesus before his crucifixion?

And regarding the history of how we got into the elective abortion business, you need to read the facts which are also on the pages of Spectrum magazine. Do you call this blasphemy as well? Adventist hospitals were offering the so called “therapeutic abortions” years before 1970. What the non-Adventist physicians at our Castle Memorial Hospital in Hawaii demanded was not the right to offer abortions for women who had been raped, but rather abortion on demand.

A man who had donated $25,000 dollars for the building of said hospital asked an abortion for his daughter, and management didn’t know what to do. The issue was raised to the Pacific Union, and it was elevated to the North American Division. This was against the policy of the church but management feared bankruptcy in the event all those physicians took their patients to other hospitals, and the church caved in to the pressure.

What the church did was very clever. It designed the guidelines on abortion which do not condone abortion on demand, but granted our hospitals the privilege of drafting their own guidelines, and bingo, the church could say that their guidelines do not condone elective abortions, but our Castle Memorial Hospital went ahead with their decision to offer abortions on demand. This is the reason LLU ethics department decided to carry out the above mentioned survey which revealed that five of our hospitals were in the abortion on demand business.

All this is documented in the pages of Spectrum magazine and the original paper submitted to Spectrum of which I have a copy. This document was among the 36 other papers presented at the 1988 conference on abortion organized by the LLU Center for Christian Bioethics. All this is in black and white, but you accuse me of blasphemy? I have done the research; Have you? If you haven’t, how do you dare to accuse me of blasphemy?

Overage said: “you sin by making it out to be the whole church”

I say: I am not the one who published all this to the whole world! It was Spectrum and the LLU ethics department who organized the 1988 convention. If it is a sin to engage in reading what was published by reputable Adventists in the past, then perhaps it is a sin to read the biblical report about the sin of David with Bathsheba!

Overage said: “You call the garbage on your own website "solid evidence," and that is ridiculous. You are your own reference!”

I say: You are distorting the true facts of the case! The main sources for my research were what other Adventists had published regarding abortion. Here is the evidence which you describe as “garbage:” If you do the math work, you will discover that the references to my own work does not amount to even one percent of the total. This shows how ludicrous is your accusation.

BIBLIOGRAPHY

Books

Alcorn, Randy. Pro Life Answers to Pro Choice Questions. n.p.: Multnomah Books, 1992. 265 pp.

Bruinsma, Reinder. Matters of Life and Death. Nampa, Idaho: Pacific Press Association, 2000. 65-85.

Crutcher, Mark. Lime 5: Exploited by Choice. Denton, Texas: Life dynamics, Incorporated, 1996. 281 pp.

________. On Message: Understanding and Communicating the Pro-Life Position. Denton, Texas: Life Dynamics Incorporated, 2005. 132pp.

Guy, Fritz. Thinking Theologically. Berrien Springs, Michigan: Andrews University Press, 1999. 236.

Herndon, Booton. The Unlikeliest Hero. Mountain View, California: Pacific Press Publishing Association, 1967. 199 pp.

Kellogg, J.H. Man the Masterpiece. Battle Creek, Michigan: Modern Medicine Publishing Co., 1894. 424-425.

Larson, David. Abortion: Ethical Issues & Options. Loma Linda, California: Center For Christian Bioethics, 1992. 264 pp.

Norma McCorvey, Won by Love. Nashville: Tomas Nelson Publishers, 1997. 244 pp.

Ministerial Association: General Conference of Seventh-day Adventist, Seventh-day Adventist Believe . . . A Biblical Exposition of 27 Fundamental Doctrines. Hagerstown, Maryland: Review and Herald Publishing Association, 1988. 283 pp.

Walters, James W. What Is a Person? An Ethical Exploration. Urbana and Chicago, Illinois: University of Illinois Press, 1997. 181 pp.

White, Ellen G. Ministry of Healing. Mountain View, California: Pacific Press Publishing Association, 1958. 373, 397.

________. Patriarchs and Prophets. Washington, D.C.: Review and Herald Publishing Association, 1958. 316.

________. Patriarchs and Prophets. Mountain View, California: Pacific Press Publishing Association, 1958. 516.

________. Prophets and Kings. Mountain View, California: Pacific Press Publishing Association, 1943. 728.

________. Selected Messages, Vol. 2. Washington, D.C.: Review and Herald Publishing Association, 1958. 429-430.

________. Testimony Treasures, Vol. 2. Mountain View, California: Pacific Press Publishing Association, 1949. 374.

________. The Adventist Home. Nashville, Tennessee: Southern Publishing Association, 1952. 280.

________. The Great Controversy. Mountain View, California: Pacific Press Publishing Association, 1939. 635.

White, James. Solemn Appeal. Battle Creek, Michigan: Stem Press, 1870. 100.

Young, Curt. The Least of These: What Everyone Should Know About Abortion. Chicago, Illinois: Moody Press, 1983. 225 pp.

Articles

Acosta, Luis F. “Letters” Ministry (Aug. 1991): 28.

Anderson, Jim. “Letters” Ministry (Mar. 1993): 2.

Andrews, J.N. “A Few Words Concerning a Great Sin” Advent Review and Sabbath Herald (30 Nov. 1869): 184.

Augsburger, Daniel. “Abortion: Don’t Believe all you Hear!” Ministry (Sept. 1976): 24.

Auxt, Andrew. “Letters” Ministry (July 1988): 30.

Bacchiocchi, Samuelle. “Letters” Ministry (May 1988): 28.

Beach, W.R. “Abortion?” Ministry (Mar. 1971): 3.

Beem, Teresa. “The Hardest of the Hard Cases: Rape and Saving the Life of the Mother” Spectrum 19/4 (May 1989): 7.

Blake, Kenneth B. “Letters” Ministry (Dec. 1991): 2.

Blake, Ken. “Letters” Ministry (May 1988): 2.

Bohr, Stephen P. “Letters” Ministry (July 1988), 29.

Bork, Paul F. “Letters” Ministry (Dec. 1991): 2.

Brunt, John C. “Adventists, Abortion and the Bible” Spectrum 19/4 (May 1989): 14.

Cargill, R. M. “Letters” Ministry (Nov. 1986): 28.

Crawford, David F. “Letters” Ministry (Dec. 1991): 27.

Crosby, Timothy. “Abortion: Some Questionable Arguments” Spectrum 19/4 (May

1989): 21.

Dean, Shirley B. “Letters” Ministry (July 1988): 2.

Dick, W. G. “Letters” Ministry (Jan. 1993): 30.

Dunn, Robert H. “Letters” Ministry (Oct. 1985): 2.

Endres, Sarah. “Letters” Ministry (Feb. 1991): 2.

Ferguson, John. “Letters” Ministry (Sept. 1988): 2.

Fielding, Jim. “Letters” Ministry (Nov. 1988): 2.

Fisher, Edward G. “Letters” Ministry (Mar. 1988): 2.

Florea, Jeremia. “Letters” Ministry (May 1986): 30.

Florea, Jeremiah. “Letters” Ministry (Dec. 1991): 27.

________. “Letters” Ministry (July 1988): 30.

Fortin, Dennis. “Letters” Ministry (Sept. 1988): 27.

Fredericks, Richard. “A Biblical Response to Abortion” Spectrum 19/4 (May 1989): 29, 33.

________. “Less than Human?” Ministry (Mar. 1988): 12.

________. “Letters” Ministry (Sept. 1988): 26.

Fulop, Mark. “Letters” Ministry (Nov. 1990): 29.

Gainer, George “Abortion: History of Adventist Guidelines” Ministry (Aug. 1991): 11.

________. “Letters” Ministry (May 1988): 27.

________. “The Wisdom of Solomon?” Spectrum 19/4 (May 1989): 38.

Glenn, David. “Letters” Ministry (June 1991): 28.

Grimm, Terry C. “Letters” Ministry (Nov. 1988): 30.

Gutel, William L. “Letters” Ministry (Mar. 1988): 2.

________. “Letters” Ministry (Jan, 1993): 30.

Hamilton, Thomas. “Letters” Ministry (Mar. 1988): 2.

Hampton, David. “Letters” Ministry (May 1986): 30.

Hansen, Richard A. “Letters” Ministry (Jan. 1985): 30.

Harmon, Ralph. “Letters” Ministry (Dec. 1991): 2.

Harter, Chris. “Letters” Ministry (July 1985): 2.

Hays, Robert E. “Letters” Ministry (May 1986): 30.

Hubbell, C. L. “Letters” Ministry (Sept. 1988): 27.

“In China They Are Eating Babies, in Loma Linda, They Are Harvesting Organs” Pilgrims Rest: Waymarks (n.d.): 1.

Jackson, Gordon E. “Letters” Ministry (Sept. 1988): 26.

James, David C. “Deciding About Abortion” Ministry (Feb, 1989): 19.

Jessen, Timothy. “Letters” Ministry (Sept. 1988): 26.

Jones-Haldeman, Madelyn. “A Modest Proposal” Spectrum 19/4 (May 1989): 10.

Kerbs, John G. “Letters” Ministry (Sept. 1988): 2.

Kumamoto, Danny. “Letters” Ministry (Sept. 1988): 2

Kurlinski, John. “Letters” Ministry (Sept. 1988): 2.

Larson, David. “Shop Talk/Call for Papers on Abortion” Ministry (Dec. 1987): 32

Laurell, Clifford. “Letters” Ministry (Aug. 1991): 28.

Lemmo, Alfred. “Letters” Ministry (Mar. 1996): 2.

“Letters” Ministry (Sept. 1988): 27.

Lorenz, P.A. “The Way We Were” Adventist For Life/Heritage Edition (v.3, n.3, n.d.): 2.

Mansell, D.E. “Feed Back” Ministry (Sept. 1971): 49.

Maxwell, R. Maureen, & Clarice J. Woodward. “The Nurse and Abortion” Spectrum (Spring 1971): 19.

McCall, William. “Letters” Ministry (July 1988): 29.

McDowell, Lyndon K. “Letters” Ministry (Jan. 1993): 2.

McMillan, Leonard. “To Abort or not to Abort: That is the Question” Ministry (Mar. 1978): 11.

McPherson, Robert C. “Letters” Ministry (Dec. 1991): 2.

Meier, Hugo. “Letters” Ministry (Nov. 1990: 29.

Miceli, David. “Letters” Ministry (July 1993): 29.

Muller, Richard. “Abortion: A Moral Issue?” Ministry (Jan. 1985): 18.

Newman, J. David. “Do We Need an Abortion Standard?” Ministry (Oct. 1989): 37.

________. “First Glance” Ministry (July 1988): 3.

________. “Guidelines on Abortion” Ministry (May 1993): 22.

________. “How Sacred is Human Life?” Ministry (Feb. 1991), 5.

________. “Provisional Statement on Abortion /A Seventh-day Adventist Statement of Consensus on Abortion” Ministry (July 1990): 19.

Nichols, Charles W. “Letters” Ministry (May 1988): 28.

O’Ffill, R. W. “Letters” Ministry (Nov. 1990): 29.

Ottey, Van. “Letters” Ministry (Nov. 1990): 29.

________. “Letters” Ministry (May 1988): 27.

Paulson, Kevin D. “Letters” Ministry (Jan. 1986): 2.

Peachey, Keith. “Letters” Ministry (May 1988): 28.

Pearson, Michael. “Abortion: The Adventist Dilemma” Ministry (Jan. 1988): 4.

________. “Control of the Body, Control of the Mind: A Personal Abortion Ethic” Spectrum 19/4 (May 1989): 55.

Phillips, Pauline W. “Letters” Ministry (July 1988): 29.

Preez, Ron Du. “The Fetus in Biblical Law” Ministry (Sept. 1992): 11.

Provonsha, Jack W. “How Much is a Fetus Worth?” Ministry (Jan. 1984): 15.

Regester, Willard D. “Letters” Ministry (Nov. 1988): 2.

Ricker, George M. “Letters” Ministry (Nov. 1990): 29.

Sanchez, Ernie. “Letters” Ministry (Sept. 1988): 26.

Scholes, David A. “Letters” Ministry (May 1988): 28.

Schreven, Leo. “Letters” Ministry (Dec. 1991): 27.

Smith, Uriah. Advent Review and Sabbath Herald. Quoted by P.A. Lorenz.

Adventist for Life News, Vol. III, Issue 3. (n.d., Heritage Edition): 3.

Spangler, J. R. “Abortion Guidelines” Ministry (Mar. 1971): 10.

________. “Reflection on Adventists and Abortion” Ministry (Jan. 1988):

Steed, Lincoln E. “Why Silence is not an Option” Liberty Online (Sept. /Oct. 2004):17.

Stevens, John V., Sr. “Abortion Answers and Attitudes,” Pacific Union Recorder (20 Aug. 1990).

Stirling, Betty J. “A Sociologists Looks at Abortion” Spectrum (Spring 1971): 12.

Story, Joseph L. “Letters” Ministry (April 1992): 2.

Sweem, Ardyce. “Abortion Effects” Ministry (July 1988): 14.

Terian, Sara Karkkainen. “Psychological and Social Effects of Abortion–Some Recent

Data” Spectrum (May 1989): 59.

Thomsen, Ron. “Letters” Ministry (Nov. 1990): 29.

Todd, John. “Fashionable Murder” Advent Review and Sabbath Herald (25 June 1867): 29-30.

Waddell, Ralph. “Abortion is not the Answer” Ministry (Mar. 1971): 7.

Watts, Kit. “Letters” Ministry (Jan. 1993): 2.

Weber, Martin. “The Abortion Dilemma” Ministry (Sept. 1992): 15.

Wesley, Alice Blair. “Letters” Ministry (July 1988): 30.

Westendorf, R. F. “Letters” Ministry (Sept. 1988): 27.

Whiting, M.L. “Letters” Ministry (Sept. 1988): 2.

Wiltse, Glen L. “Letters” Ministry (July 1988): 30.

Winslow, Gerald. “Abortion and Christian Principles” Ministry (May 1988): 12.

________. “Abortion Policies in Adventist Hospitals” Spectrum 19/4 (May 1989): 47.

________. “When is Enough Enough?” Adventist Review 182 (31 March 2005): 30.

Youngberg, John, and Millie Youngberg. “The Reborn and the Unborn” Ministry (Nov. 1985): 12.

Young, Curt. “The Least of These: What Everyone Should Know About Abortion” Ministry (Sept. 1986): 31.

Ziprick, Harold F. “Abortion in Our changing World” Spectrum (Spring 1971): 7.

Online Internet Sources

“Abortion” Azure Hills Seventh-day Adventist Church (2006). Accessed from http://www.azurehills.org/index.php?option=com_na_bibleinfo&task=topic&bi_id= on 20 Oct. 2010.

“Abortion” Phoenix Camelback Seventh-day Adventist Church (2006). Accessed from http://www.camelbackchurch.net/ on 20 Oct. 2010. The original website is no longer in existence and it was replaced with a new one which does not contain the pro-life statement alluded to in the present investigation.

“Adventists laud Pope for concern on world peace, poverty and family” Adventist News Dispatch/Southern Asia-Pacific Division of the Seventh-day Adventist Church (11 Mar. 2005). Accessed from http://www.ssd.org/news/mar1105.html on 20 Oct. 2010.

“A Seventh-day Adventist Statement on Well-being and Value of Children”. Adventist Beliefs/Official Statements/ Seventh-day Adventist Church (29 June 2000). Accessed from http://www.adventist.org/beliefs/statements/main-stat51.html on 20 Oct. 2010.

Bacchiocchi, Samuele. “The Signs of Increased Wickedness” Endtime Issues No. 24 (29 July 1999). Accessed from http://www.biblicalperspectives.com/endtimeissues/eti_24.html on 20 Oct. 2010.

Beem, Teresa, & Arthur D. Beem “Why we Left: A Letter to Family and Others” Former Adventist Fellowship Online (7 Feb. 2001). Accessed from http://www.formeradventist.com/stories/teresaarthurbeem.html\ on 20 Oct. 2010.

________. “Why we left: A Letter to Family and Others” Former Adventist Fellowship Online (18 Nov. 2002). Accessed from http://www.formeradventist.com/stories/teresaarthurbeem.html\ on 20 Oct. 2010.

“Birth Control: A Statement of Consensus” Adventist Beliefs/Other documents/ Seventh-day Adventist Church (26 July 1994). Accessed from http://adventist.org/beliefs/statements/main-stat44.html on 20 Oct. 2010.

Boonstra, Shawn. “The Heart of Freedom” It Is Written (2 July 2006). Accessed from http://www.itiswritten.com/television?pg=all#episodes/1213 on 20 Oct. 2010.

“Considerations on Assisted Human Reproduction” Adventist Beliefs/Official Statements/ Seventh-day Adventist Church (29 Sept. 1999). Accessed from http://www.adventist.org/beliefs/statements/main-stat44.html on 20 Oct. 2010.

“Considerations on Assisted Human Reproductions” Adventist Beliefs/Seventh-day Adventist Church (26 July 1994). Accessed from http://adventist.org/beliefs/other-documents/other-doc10.html on 20 Oct. 2010.

Crutcher, Mark. “4D Ultrasound Pictures of Unborn Babies” Pro-Life America (2006). Com. Accessed from http://www.prolifeamerica.com/4D-Ultrasound-pictures/ on 20 Oct. 2010.

Cunningham, Gregg. “Abortion Facts” The Center for Bio-Ethical Reform (1998). Accessed from http://www.abortionno.org/Resources/fastfacts.html on 20 Oct. 2010.

Dan Holman, “The Death of Abortion” The Covenant News (28 Feb. 2006). Accessed from http://www.covenantnews.com/holman060228.htm on 20 Oct. 2010.

“Damascus, Maryland/Richard Fredericks” Former Adventist Fellowship Online (n.d.). Accessed from http://www.formeradventist.com/links.html on 20 Oct. 2010.

David, A. S. “Nathan’s Christian dilemma” Let’s Focus on Life.Com (6 Jun 2005). Accessed from http://letsfocusonlife.com/?p=2454 on 20 Oct. 2010.

“Declaration of Independence”. U.S. Historical Documents/ College of Law (n.d.). Accessed from http://www.law.ou.edu/hist/decind.html on 20 Oct. 2010.

“Fundamental Beliefs” Seventh-day Adventist Church (2006). Accessed from http://www.adventist.org/beliefs/fundamental/index.html on 20 Oct. 2010.

Gallimore, Jay. “Letters” Ministry (Dec. 1991), 2. Accessed from http://ministrymagazine.org/archive/1991/December on 20 Oct. 2010.

“Guidelines on Abortion”. North American Division of Seventh-day Adventist Church (12 Oct. 1992). Accessed from http://humanrelations.nadadventist.org/gender/abortion.htm on 20 Oct. 2010.

“Guidelines on Abortion” General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists/Seventh-day Adventist Church (12 Oct. 1992). Accessed from http://www.adventist.org/beliefs/guidelines/main-guide1.html?&template=printer.html on 20 Oct. 2010.

Holman, Dan. “The Death of Abortion” The Covenant News (28 Feb. 2006). Accessed from http://www.covenantnews.com/holman060228.htm on 20 Oct. 2010.

Hurt, John M. “Abortion Statistics” The HTML Bible (22 Apr. 2004). Accessed from http://www.htmlbible.com/abortstats.htm on 20 Oct. 2010.

Jones, Kathleen. “Letters to the Editor” Pacific Union Recorder (1 Apr. 2006). Accessed from http://pauccomm.adventistfaith.org/recorder-archives-pdf on 20 Oct. 2010.

Kellner, Mark A. “German and Austrian Churches Apologize for Holocaust Actions” Adventist Review/Adventist news (2006). Accessed from http://www.adventistreview.org/article.php?id=92 on 20 Oct. 2010.

Kellogg, John Harvey. “Infanticide and Abortion” Plain Facts for Old and/Electronic Text Center/Young/University of Virginia Library (n.d.). Accessed from http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/etcbin/toc...p;division=div1 on 20 Oct. 2010.

Krause, Bettina. “ANN Feature: Broader Religious Input Needed in Stem Cell Debate, Says Adventist Ethicist” Adventist News network/ Seventh-day Adventist Church (7 Aug. 2001). Accessed from http://news.adventist.org/2001/08/a-feature–broaer-religious-iput-eee-i-stem-cell-ebate-says-avetist-ethicist.html on 20 Oct. 2010.

Lothamer, M. Thomas. “Gestational Age & Abortion” Baptists For Life (Mar. /Apr. 1991). Accessed from http://www.bfl.org/Issues-Answers/Abortion/FAQs/Gestational-Age-Abortion.aspx on 20 Oct. 2010.

Miller, Jim. “Jim Miller” Adventist Today (2006). Accessed from http://www.atoday.com/magazine/2002/01/abortion-and-bible-caution on 20 Oct. 2010.

Moore, Keith L. “Making a Person Property” Abort 73.Com (2005). Accessed from. http://www.abort73.com/print/466/ on 20 Oct. 2010.

Moore, Keith L. “The Developing Human: Clinically Oriented Embryology” Abort 73.Com (2005). Accessed from http://www.godandscience.org/abortion/sld006.html on 20 Oct. 2010.

Nichols, Daniel. “When I Read About Jesus Being Rejected” Open Book (13 Nov. 2005). Accessed from http://amywelborn.typepad.com/openbook/2005/11/when_i_read_abo.html on 20 Oct. 2010.

Nicoll, Regis. “The Sacrament of Abortion” Spectrum (6 Dec. 2005). Accessed from http://www.spectrummagazine.org/library/columns2005/051206nicholls.html The link to this Spectrum article no longer works and the effort to locate it through its current archive failed to yield the expected results.

Pavone, Frank. “The Sacrament of Abortion” Priests for Life Educational Resources (n.d.) Accessed from http://www.priestsforlife.org/columns/columns2002/02-08-12sacramentofabortion.htm on 20 Oct. 2010.

Ratzlaff, Dale. “Abortion” Life Assurance Ministries (Jan./Feb. 2003). Accessed from http://lifeassuranceministries.org/Proclamation2003_JanFeb.pdf on 20 Oct. 2010.

“Rep. Broun Introduces Bill To Define Life as Beginning at Fertilization” Women’s Health Policy Report (27 Jan., 2009) Accessed from http://www.nationalpartnership.org/site/News2?abbr=daily2_&page=NewsArticle&id=14787 on 20 Oct. 2010.

Regan, Tom. “Blair Unveils New Security Measures for Britain” The Christian Science Monitor (5 Aug. 2005). Accessed from http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Sky-News-Archive/Article/200806413401647

on 20 Oct. 2010.

Rilloma, Nestor. “Adventists Laud Pope for Concern on World Peace, Poverty and Family” Southern Asia-Pacific Division/ Seventh-day Adventist Church (11 Mar. 2005). Accessed from http://www.ssd.org/news/mar1105.html on 20 Oct. 2010.

Samojluk, Nic. “A Corporate Apology from the German and Austrian SDA Church” Let’s Focus on Life.Com (17 Sept. 2005). Accessed from http://letsfocusonlife.com/?p=2478 on 20 Oct. 2010.

________. “A Stigmata Case in Loma Linda?” Let’s Focus on Life.Com (20 May 2005). Accessed from http://letsfocusonlife.com/?p=2424 on 20 Oct. 2010.

________. “How to Protect Women’s Abortion Rights?” Let’s Focus on Life.Com (1 Feb. 2006). Accessed from http://letsfocusonlife.com/?p=2780 on 20 Oct. 2010.

________. “Former SDA Religious Liberty Leader Still Defending Abortion” Let’s Focus on Life.Com (2 Apr. 2006). Accessed from http://letsfocusonlife.com/?p=3048 on 20 Oct. 2010.

________. “When does human life begin?” Let’s Focus on Life.Com (2 Mar. 2006). Accessed from http://letsfocusonlife.com/?p=492 on 20 Oct. 2010.

________. “When does human life begin?” Let’s Focus on Life.Com (31 Mar. 2006). Accessed from http://letsfocusonlife.com/?p=2498 on 20 Oct. 2010.

________. “Sabbath Observance Vs. Infanticide” Let’s Focus on Life.Com (28 Nov. 2004). Accessed from http://letsfocusonlife.com/?p=4307 on 20 Oct. 2010.

________. “Do You Mind If I Smoke?” Let’s Focus on Life.Com (4 Nov. 2004). Accessed from http://letsfocusonlife.com/?p=2415 on 20 Oct. 2010.

________. “Nathan Christian’s Dilemma” Let’s Focus on Life.Com (20 May 2005). Accessed from http://letsfocusonlife.com/?p=2454 on 20 Oct. 2010.

________. “Odds of Dying of Any Cause” Let’s Focus on Life.Com (16 Jul. 2006). Accessed from http://letsfocusonlife.com/?p=3104 on 20 Oct. 2010.

________. “Right to Life Trumps the Right to Freedom of Speech” Let’s Focus on Life.Com (6 Aug. 2005). http://letsfocusonlife.com/?p=4299 on 20 Oct. 2010.

________. “The Most Dangerous Place on Earth” Let’s Focus on Life.Com (18 Nov. 2004). Accessed from http://letsfocusonlife.com/?p=2295 on 20 Oct. 2010.

________. “To Make Man Whole!” Let’s Focus on Life.Com (5 Mar. 2006). http://letsfocusonlife.com/?p=3038 on 20 Oct. 2010.

________. “When does human life begin?” Let’s Focus on Life.Com (31 Mar. 2006). Accessed from http://letsfocusonlife.com/?p=2498 on 20 Oct. 2010.

________. “Who Is The Antichrist Today?” Let’s Focus on Life.Com (28 Nov. 2004). Accessed from http://letsfocusonlife.com/?p=2334 on 20 Oct. 2010.

________. “Who Has the Right to Live?” Let’s Focus on Life.Com (20 Aug. 2005). Accessed from http://letsfocusonlife.com/?p=4291 on 20 Oct. 2010.

________. “Will There Be Another 9/11?” Let’s Focus on Life.Com (15 Apr. 2004). Accessed from http://letsfocusonlife.com/?p=4295 on 20 Oct. 2010.

“Seventh-day Adventist Periodical Index” James White Library Information Gateway/Andrews University (10 Aug. 2006). Accessed from http://www.andrews.edu/library/car/sdapiindex.html on 20 Oct. 2010.

Steed, Lincoln. “Committed to Liberty & Mission” Liberty Online (May/June 2003). Accessed from http://www.libertymagazine.org/~libertym/index.php?id=1234 on 20 Oct. 2010.

Stevens, John V. Sr. “Letters to the Editor,” Pacific Union Recorder (1 Mar. 2006). Accessed from http://pauccomm.adventistfaith.org/recorder-archives-pdf on 20 Oct. 2010.

Swift, Jonathan. “A Modest Proposal” (1729). Accessed from http://essays.quotidiana.org/swift/modest_proposal/ on 23 Oct. 2010.

“The Baptist Faith and Message/ XVIII. The Family” SBCNET/Southern Baptist Convention (2006). Accessed from http://www.sbc.net/bfm/bfm2000.asp#xviii on 20 Oct. 2010.

“The Consequences of Roe v. Wade” Central Illinois Right to Life (1999). Accessed from http://www.cirtl.org/stats.htm on 20 Oct. 2010.

“The Roman Catholic Church’s Official Teaching on Abortion” Beliefnet (2006). Accessed from http://www.beliefnet.com/story/63/story_6328_1.html on 20 Oct. 2010.

“United States Constitution: Amendment XIV” Cornell Law School (n.d.). Accessed from http://topics.law.cornell.edu/constitution/amendmentxiv on 20 Oct. 2010.

Whelton, Beverly. “A Woman of Letters” Envoy (Mar. /Apr. 1999). Accessed from http://www.envoymagazine.com/backissues/3.2/story1.html on 20 Oct. 2010.

Winslow, Gerald R. “Abortion: Consensus and Dialogue” Adventist Today (May/June 1993) Accessed from http://www.atoday.com/content/vol1-no1 on 20 Oct. 2010.

Zehnder, Christopher. “Edward Allred in the Pulpit” Los Angeles Lay Catholic Mission (June 1998). Accessed from http://www.losangelesmission.com/ed/articles/1998/0698cz.htm#top

Overaged said: “Stop doing the work of Satan on the internet”

I say: Your accusation actually goes against all the over 700 individuals I cited in my research. Do you really believe that all those 700 persons were doing the work of Satan when they tried to speak a word on behalf of the unborn? How credible is your argument?

Are the Bible writers who recorded for posterity the sins cited in the book of Judges, or the murder committed by Moses, or David sin with Bathsheba were doing Satan’s work? Did you notice that the Bible describes humanity truthfully instead of glossing over the facts?

Did you read how the True Witness described each of the seven churches in the book of Revelation? If you were asked to edit the Bible, would you sanitize it? Please, apply this to the history of the Adventist Church as recorded by those who took the time to record for posterity what took place in gthe past.

Shane said: “Just wondering, Nic. Do you volunteer at pregnancy crisis centers or other pro-life organizations?”

I say: No! I don’t believe in displaying pictures of aborted babies in public. I did suggest to pro-life leaders that at least, if they do this to place the pictures of live babies alongside those of aborted ones. Besides, if I did participate in said activities, I would not have the time to do the work the Lord laid on my heart. On top of this, I believe that women should counsel women who are about to abort their unborn babies—not men.

Nevertheless, I used to participate in the distribution of pro-life material from house to house when I was younger. I am almost 80 now and my feet are not as strong as they used to be.

Shane said: “Do you financial support pro-life organizations?”

I say: Yes, I do; but I am very selective about the organizations I contribute to. My preference would have been to do his through the Adventist church. I have tried this on several occasions without success.

I have sent my pro-life donations both to my local church and to the General Conference more than once. Each time my contributions were returned with the following message: “The church does not have a pro-life program.”

Sounds like Sleeping Adventist excuses #345 & #346 to me
First,I was fully awake. Second,this was not directly a biblical issue. Third,I never wear a bathrobe.

Stan said: “Tell me again, how the Church failed in Rwanda?”

I say: This is the way I see what took place in Germany, Rwanda, and the U.S: I see in this a trend. Our church failed in Germany at the highest level of church administration; in Rwanda the church failed at a lower level of church administration; and in the U.S. our church failed in sticking to what was their moral duty.

The church should have said to our Castle Memorial Hospital managers: You can’t offer abortion on demand and continue to have an official connection with the Adventist Church. You need to make a choice between remaining as a member of our Adventist community of faith or else become independent like the Quiet Hour or 3ABN.

Unfortunately, our church compromised on a moral issue. It said in essence: We do not condone elective abortions, but you have the freedom to draft your own guidelines, which is what they did, and five other hospitals emulated them. In this we followed the sorry example set by Pilate, who said: “I am innocent of the blood of this man.” He thought that by letting others do the killing he would be guiltless. He wasn’t!

It is not too late to alter this erroneous course. The Lord is merciful and willing to forgive! The blood of those innocent babies claims for justice like the blood of Abel and the blood of all the Christian martyrs. We need to repent of this great sin. I hope and pray the church will do what is right.

My question is: If we failed in Germany, in Rwanda, and in the U.S., are we going to have the moral courage to be faithful when the great Sabbath test will come as predicted by Ellen White?

Originally Posted By: doug yowell
Nic IS a prolife ministry.

Hot air is not a ministry. "Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world." (Ja. 1:27)

You're chasing your own tail,Shane,while at the same time condemning the very church you're trying to defend. If what you say above is applicable to the abortion debate then you have just validated Nic's position that the church is NOT PROLIFE.Since the church has no ministries to either stop women from aborting,minister to the spiritual consequences of those who choose to do so, or support those who choose not to,it may be concluded (according to your judgment)that the church's "guidelines" also constitute hot air. Oddly enough,Ginger Harwood-Hanks,hardly a prolife supporter,once made the same observation about the then newly released guidelines.

Originally Posted By: Stan Jensen

You failed to mention that there were some Adventist who support GWB in the invasion of Iraq and other atrocities.

I supported GWB and the US Congress in the invasion of Iraq but that was as an individual. I am not aware that the organized Adventist church in any official capacity, at any level endorsed the invasion. Did I miss something there? In contrast, the organized Adventist church in Germany did officially support Hitler.

When President Bush announced his pre-emptive strike against the country of Iraq, I wrote an article questioning the wisdom of invading a country on the suspicion and fear that we might be a future target by said country. This seemed to me contrary to sane wisdom. Had either the Soviet Union or the U.S. acted on such insane doctrine during the cold war, we would not be here today.

That was one retired Pastor, and as I said earlier, those who knew him will tell you it was unjust.

Repeat that was one Retired Pastor, ONE RETIRED PASTOR.

Tell how the Church failed?

Do we know when he had retired? Does this mean that former presidents of associations or unions are free to use their influence to contribute to the death of hundreds of Adventist members of the church?

Didn’t many other Adventists engage in the genocide of innocent people? I suggest that you contact Osborn, the author of the Rwanda article. He lived in Rwanda, and has recently visited said country. He knows much more than I do.

There were significant amount of Heros in Rwanda, not among the least was Paul from the Movie Hotel Rwanda, and several others. I met some of them in 1994.

There were heroes in Germany as well! This does not negate the fact that the church did fail the moral test. This is why the church was forced to apologize.

Originally Posted By: Nic Samojluk
Talk is cheap!

I did anwer this question already this morning.

Originally Posted By: Stan Jensen

I supported GWB and the US Congress in the invasion of Iraq but that was as an individual. I am not aware that the organized Adventist church in any official capacity, at any level endorsed the invasion. Did I miss something there? In contrast, the organized Adventist church in Germany did officially support Hitler.

Speaking of missing something,I wasn't even aware that the invasion of Iraq was on the same level of the atrocity scale as the Final Solution.I'll have to pass this on to those Iraqi families living here in the U.S. But I digress...

Overaged said: “There are many false accusations you make here; you are not stupid, and you know full well what they are; they have been repeated by you and pointed out by me several times.”

I say: I did ask you to identify the alleged “false accusations” I have made here and you tell me that I know which ones they are? Would you present such an argument in court? If the judge asked you to present your accusation against the defendant, would you respond by arguing that the defendant knows which ones they are?

In this case the jury are the readers, and they are smarter than to make a judgment on the basis of hearsay. Your duty is to present the evidence. You have not done so. You are either lazy, or else you know that your case is rather weak.

Overaged said: “What you say is that "a few Adventists have broken the 6th commandment; and therefore, BECAUSE THEY DON'T DISFELLOWSHIP THEM THE WHOLE CHURCH IS GUILTY OF GENOCIDE."

I say: What I see wrong is for the church to say that we do not condone elective abortions, but like Pilate try to wash their hand of the blood of the hundreds or thousands of unborn babies who were slaughtered inside our own hospitals because the church granted our hospitals the right to draft their own guidelines which resulted in the provision of what the church condemns: abortion on demand in five of our medical institutions.

That is very similar to what Pilate did. He said: “I am innocent of the blood of this man,” and thought that he was not guilty of the death of Jesus. Was he not guilty? Our church should have disconnected itself from any hospital allowing elective abortions on their premises.

The entire church is an accomplice to this horrendous crime for not speaking on behalf of the innocent victims. The church should have disconnected itself from those institutions in the event they persisted to go their own way in violation of church policy. When the church compromises on moral issues this leads church members to do the same.