ClubAdventist is back!

Great Quotes on Liberty of Conscience

Pastor_Chick

GREAT QUOTES ON LIBERTY OF CONSCIENCE

George Washington

"Every man, conducting himself as a good citizen and being accountable alone to God for his religious opinions, ought to be protected in worshipping the Deity according to the dictates of his own conscience."

Thomas Jefferson

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

"God who gave us life gave us liberty. And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure if we have removed their only firm basis: a conviction in the minds of men that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that His justice cannot sleep forever."

"I Have Sworn Upon the Altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

"Almighty God hath created the mind free. All attempts to influence it by temporal punishments or burthens are a departure from the plan of the holy author of our religion. No man shall be compelled to frequent or support any religious worship or ministry or shall otherwise suffer on account of his religious opinions or belief, but all men shall be free to profess and by argument to maintain, their opinions in matters of religion. I know but one code of morality for men whether acting singly or collectively."

Samuel Webster

"Power, especially overgrown power, whets the ambition and sets all the wits to work to enlarge it. Therefore, encroachments on peoples liberties are not generally made all at once, but so gradually as hardly to be perceived by the less watchful; and all plastered over, it may be, with such plausible pretenses, that before they are aware of the snare, they are taken and can not disentangle themselves."

W. W. Prescott

"When a church in alliance with the state employs the secular power to enforce its doctrines by punishing heretics, it repudiates the essential idea of Christianity."

Mahatma Mohandas K. Gandhi

"In matters of conscience, the law of majority has no place."

"There is a higher court than courts of justice and that is the court of conscience. It superceds all other courts."

Kahlil Gibran

"You can muffle the drum, and you can loosen the strings of the lyre, but who shall command the skylark not to sing?"

SDA International Sabbath School Quarterly, First Quarter,1896

"When the early church departed from God and imbibed pagan errors, she became Babylon. When she united with the state, she fell, and as an organization, was the body of Christ no longer."

A. T. Jones

"Whenever the church forms any connection with any State or kingdom on the earth, in the very doing of it she rejects God."

"...with men's relationship to God, rulers and States can have nothing whatever to do."

"...no State can ever rightly require anything that is due to God; and that when it is required by the State, it is not to be rendered."

G. C. Tenney

"...we conclude that all attempts to coerce men's consciences, or to enforce upon them religious observances or a religious faith, are unChristlike, and consequently antiChristian. This opinion we hold in regard to religious compulsion of any kind. This is not the kind of work required of the Christian Church."

(Please add to the foregoing as you wish.)

Chick

James Madison

“In Republics, the great danger is, that the majority may not sufficiently respect the rights of the minority.”

“Since the general civilization of mankind, I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpation.”

“And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in showing that religion and Government will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”

"“Who does not see that the same authority which can establish Christianity, in exclusion of all other religions, may establish with the same ease any particular sect of Christians, in exclusion of all other sects?"

"Because we hold it for a fundamental and undeniable truth, "that religion or the duty which we owe to our Creator and the manner of discharging it, can be directed only by reason and conviction, not by force or violence." The Religion then of every man must be left to the conviction and conscience of every man; and it is the right of every man to exercise it as these may dictate."*

*Small excerpt from Madison's "Memorial and Remonstrance against Religious Assessments", the full text of which is available here.

• 2 weeks later...

Walter Ogden McGill

"You will know the true character of your former brethren when they take you before the civil magistrate because of your religion."

"Liberty of conscience is a gift worth preserving."

"While beauty is seen by its beholder, the persecutor is known by the persecuted."

"Sabbath is a gift to keep."

Chick

Benjamin Franklin

"When a Religion is good, I conceive it will support itself; and, when it does not support itself, and God does not take care to support [it], so that its Professors are oblig'd to call for help of the Civil Power, it is a sign, I apprehend, of its being a bad one."

Thomas Jefferson

"I contemplate with soveriegn reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should ‘make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,’ thus building a wall of separation between church and State."

"I am for freedom of religion and against all maneuvers to bring about a legal ascendancy of one sect over another."

"[E]veryone must act according to the dictates of his own reason, and mine tells me that civil powers alone have been given to the President of the United States, and no authority to direct the religious exercises of his constituents."

"All, too, will bear in mind this sacred principle, that though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will, to be rightful, must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal laws must protect, and to violate which would be oppression."

Chick

• 3 weeks later...

GREAT QUOTES ON LIBERTY OF CONSCIENCE

[...]

Mahatma Mohandas K. Gandhi

"In matters of conscience, the law of majority has no place."

"There is a higher court than courts of justice and that is the court of conscience. It superceds all other courts."

[...]

(Please add to the foregoing as you wish.)

Gandhi

"You can chain me, you can torture me, you can even destroy this body, but you will never imprison my mind."

"A 'No' uttered from the deepest conviction is better than a 'Yes' merely uttered to please, or worse, to avoid trouble."

Chick

• Members

Unless I am convinced by the testimony of the Scriptures or by clear reason (for I do not trust either in the pope or in councils alone, since it is well known that they have often erred and contradicted themselves), I am bound by the Scriptures I have quoted and my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and will not recant anything, since it is neither safe nor right to go against conscience. May God help me. Amen.

Martin Luther

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• 1 month later...

Mike Adams

Beware of any entity that is not a living person -- no government, no institution, no corporation has a soul, nor a heart, nor a conscience. They are forces of organized destruction that decimate those things we hold dear while delivering to us things that will only enslave us or harm us.

Source: http://www.naturalnews.com/032258_economic_collapse_2012.html

Chick

Patrick Henry

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death.

Chick

• 1 month later...

Thomas Jefferson

The People are the only sure reliance for the preservation of liberty.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Chick

PASTOR_CHICK

thank you for these quotes

dgrimm60

Hello dg,

Thank you also for appreciating. It is truly a breath of fresh air to receive a positive comment. :)

Chick

• 3 months later...

John O. Corliss

GOD has never established authority with any man, or any number of men, to declare what is final law for others, in matters of religious faith. Give this power to either the Governor of a State, or to the popular majority of a community, and such authority gradually becomes invested with a force that is sure, sooner or later, to be swayed oppressively. Men who stand with the minority, have a more vivid realization of this, than those on the opposite side.

Chick

"Men who stand with the minority, have a more vivid realization of this, than those on the opposite side." John Corliss

Who is this minority? The "church"? Who is the church? Is the State or church or Government acting on reasonable laws? The Black Panthers were a minority. Skin heads are a minority. The Tea Party is a minority. Many religious groups claim to be minorities. There are lots of minorities that take great pride in being so. Sister White talks of good Adventist men during the Civil War ready to martyr themselves for the truth, but in many cases it was nothing more than suicide, not matyrdom. Sentiminalism, grandious ideas, thinking they deserve a higher position and recognition for their work. Not all oppressed peoples are in God's camp.

"In the afternoon He helped me to speak. We dealt on general principles. Brother Raymond was going to go right away from the camp. He said we were clubbing him. I sent for him. I read to him. I talked with him. I told him that when my brethren, as did Brother Owen, come up with new light he almost made me have an ague chill, for I knew it was a device of Satan which no one could understand although a man declare it unto them. It is a sure case that Satan throws a bewitching power into their new views they take with minds, although the arguments are as clear as mud, disjointed [and] out of harmony with the message. Well, this talk helped the man. He is one of these studying men like Brother Edson, but with a firm, determined purpose with such a precious talent with it as a helper ready to do anything, with ready tact and apparent martyr-like humility." 21MR 204.2

"Though I deliver my body to be burned...." As many have, foolishly, through the centuries.

I think this fits, Pastor.

John O. Corliss

GOD has never established authority with any man, or any number of men, to declare what is final law for others, in matters of religious faith. Give this power to either the Governor of a State, or to the popular majority of a community, and such authority gradually becomes invested with a force that is sure, sooner or later, to be swayed oppressively. Men who stand with the minority, have a more vivid realization of this, than those on the opposite side.

facebook. /teresa.quintero.790

"Rhode Island had an existence solely, because of the attempt of man to oppress the conscience of his fellow man; and it stands in the Union to-day as a monument of the struggle for religious liberty." SSP 236.1

It is noteworthy that those who were oppressing the founder of Rhode Island, Roger Williams, was not England, as the author of the above quote might lead to some think. It was the Massachusetts Bay Colony, the Pilgrims, Americans, who passed Sunday laws that forced Roger Williams to flee for his life. He founded Rhode Island with the blessing of England. While the Pilgrims were seeking freedom of religion, they hadn't quite figured out the concept of what that meant. :) Our country was founded on Sunday laws under pain of death. We are destined to come full circle in this regard.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

No democracy can long survive which does not accept as fundamental to its very existence the recognition of the rights of minorities.

When the Protestant churches shall unite with the secular power to sustain a false religion, for opposing which their ancestors endured the fiercest persecution; when the state shall use its power to enforce the decrees and sustain the institutions of the church--then will Protestant America have formed an image to the papacy, and there will be a national apostasy which will end only in national ruin (ST March 22, 1910).

Chick

Franklin D. Roosevelt

No democracy can long survive which does not accept as fundamental to its very existence the recognition of the rights of minorities.

Originally Posted By: EGW
When the Protestant churches shall unite with the secular power to sustain a false religion, for opposing which their ancestors endured the fiercest persecution; when the state shall use its power to enforce the decrees and sustain the institutions of the church--then will Protestant America have formed an image to the papacy, and there will be a national apostasy which will end only in national ruin (ST March 22, 1910).
Like we have to support the right of the "false" to exist in order to ensure our own survival.

The "minority" in Heaven was not cast out until they had waged war against the "majority community" and failed to repent.

Although the law of God will be almost universally made void in the world, there will be a remnant of the righteous that will be obedient to God's requirements. The wrath of the dragon will be directed against the loyal servants of Heaven. Says the prophet, "The dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ." We can see from this scripture that it is not the true church of God that makes war with those who keep the commandments of God and have the testimony of Jesus Christ. It is the people who make void the law, who place themselves on the side of the dragon, and persecute those who vindicate God's precepts. (ST 04-22-89)

In the last conflict, it is the "majority community" that turns unbridled rage against the "minority," and that, without any vestige of repentance.

Chick

Like we have to support the right of the "false" to exist in order to ensure our own survival.
Oops, Pastor, I am so sorry! Truly I am. As I reread my statement I see it could be taken to say the opposite of what I was saying.

Let me leave off the "like".

We have to support the right of the "false" to exist in order to ensure our own survival.

Ellen White says many will bring in the Sunday law not realizing the consequences. I believe the principle applies generally in all efforts to unite church and state.

• 1 month later...

"[w]hen fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." Sinclar Lewis, from his book It can't happen here.

Luke 12:32 NKJV