ClubAdventist is back!

Trials/Tests

Woody

I am sure this topic has been covered many times. But I need some review and perhaps others do also.

Does God 'give' us trials and tests?

Or does God just allow Satan to give them to us?

If God 'gives' us trials and tests .... Why? And for what purpose or goal?

Does God give/allow trials and tests to all equally?

Does God give/allow trials and tests for only one purpose or does it vary per individual?

Does not God know we will fail the tests He might give us?

Does He 'want' us to know we are failures?

For the record:

I HATE trials and tests .

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Administrators

The Bible calls them trials, Satan just likes to destroy and laugh at the sufferers. And because Eve bought the serpent's line that she would be a god, knowing both good and evil, her descendants are still learning about the evil.

I am glad that even if our trials lead to earthly death, through Jesus we have the promise of earthly death just being a sleep from which we will wake. His ideal for us is eternal life. We are redeemed in order to have a chance to experience what He intended for us in the first place. Nothing fazes God!

Sometimes the peace of death is preferable to a long, dragged out, draining trial of our faith.

The good news is that what Satan intends for bad that through Jesus all things work together for good to them that love God. :) That is a promise!

No one likes being chastened, but the Lord will bring you through if you choose to leave the results with Him instead of focusing on how badly off you are. That is the test right there, I think!

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Quote:
Sometimes the peace of death is preferable to a long, dragged out, draining trial of our faith

Yes. I agree. I've been thinking of this option lately. And 'checking out' sounds more and more desireable.

I believe in Hematology.

• Members

Doesn't God say that he will never allow any test or trial be more than we can handle? And he also gives us a way out? I also think that the book of Job answers your question about if God allows Satan or not. I believe this is why this book is in the Bible. To give us encouragement. I agree we will always fail on our own, but with Christ we will not fail.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Thanks for your comments pk.

But I don't desire to be no Job. I just want to survive and get by. And I don't find that all peoples have been tested like Job. That was an extreme case for a specific reason. IMHV. (In my humble view)

And I am not so sure there is a way out of the trials of Satan. Well ... I suppose death might be a way out.

Yes Satan was allowed to test Job. But are we all tested? And to what extreme? And does God ever test us? And if so why and for what purpose?

I believe in Hematology.

• Members

But I don't desire to be no Job. I just want to survive and get by. And I don't find that all peoples have been tested like Job. That was an extreme case for a specific reason. IMHV. (In my humble view)

And I am not so sure there is a way out of the trials of Satan. Well ... I suppose death might be a way out.

Yes Satan was allowed to test Job. But are we all tested? And to what extreme? And does God ever test us? And if so why and for what purpose?

Woody I think you've answered your own question as to the extent of tests/trials. I would say each will be different and as to how much they can handle. Obviously Job was able to handle quite a lot, and I agree I would not want to have to handle what he did. But what I'm saying is no matter what our trail/test that he allows to come our way, we will be able to handle it.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Originally Posted By: Woody

Woody I think you've answered your own question as to the extent of tests/trials. I would say each will be different and as to how much they can handle. Obviously Job was able to handle quite a lot, and I agree I would not want to have to handle what he did. But what I'm saying is no matter what our trail/test that he allows to come our way, we will be able to handle it.

Well pk ... the Lord must think highly of me as he is set and determined on giving me the trials of Job. But what I'm saying is that I want to opt out. And if He continues it ... the only option is to opt out.

I believe in Hematology.

• Administrators

There are some trials that can be made much more bearable just by having one good friend.

There are many people who are having their time of trouble right now, never mind some time far off in the future.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Yes Gail. Praise God for a few good friends.

It does help counter what He is sending us.

I believe in Hematology.

Having been in the SDA church these many long years, it seems we have been taught that God gives us these trial and tribulations. I that is true, than anything 'bad' that happens to a person would be seen as a 'trial' and therefore from God. I don't believe it agrees with the overall picture of God as seen from reading the whole Bible, not bits and pieces. A kind, loving God 'gives' people cancer? If I believed that, you could call cardw2!!! Life is what it is, must we blame God and pretend to enjoy it? We suffer because of the original unbelief by Adam and Eve. The world changed and everything in it. We also bring on ourselves pain and suffering, genetics can cause the pain and suffering, eating the best we can will not change eating and suffering. God choose not to wipe out His creation but sent a savior, a Hero if you will to change the downward spiraling of it all by giving us a way out. Accept Him, send your prayers to Him, not to always take the pain and suffering away, but to receive the assurance that He feels it, stands beside us and will ultimately change the world and us back to a pure and pristine condition!

Pain and suffering simply shows us that Satan's plan is and was the wrong one. It is not meant to punish us or scare us to God or make us perfect, it just is. Let's get on board the train, the salvation train...it will get there.

Excellent thoughts CoA.

Thank you much

(I can always count on you to come through.)

I believe in Hematology.

Gods tests or discipline of us lead to life,of becoming more loving aka like Jesus.

Satans and the sins of daily life are out to kill us. sometimes when we don't pay attention to what is going on it may be hard to tell the difference, so instead of being like Peter sinking in the waves, when we keep an eye on Jesus, as Peter eventually did,we learn to find joy in diverse temptations because we know the ones that God sends lead to life and even the regular dissing of this sinfilled life lead to patience and the transforming of our characters in to Jesuslike peoples. So sing like Paul sang in Prison to Our Savior from even the worst of what happens.

Even checking out is not so good,what about your thoughts when you died,they will be the same when we raised up again,Will your trust still be in God then?

christopher

JOHN 17:3 and 4

I think the trials and tests are there to show that we will fail them. And we need to keep our trust and salvation in the only one who can pass the tests and has passed them.

I choose to have the life of Jesus placed to my account rather than my sinful one.

I believe in Hematology.

• Administrators

I choose to have the life of Jesus placed to my account rather than my sinful one.

And Jesus will also help your sinful one as well! :)

God can glorify His name through anything that is thrown at us. It's just hard while it's happening...

Gods tests or discipline of us lead to life,of becoming more loving aka like Jesus.

James 1:2-3

What account?

Holy Spirit either heals you not or does,as one keeps there eyes upon Jesus throughout our lives.

Tis what the tests and trials do. We become like the one we worship,like the saying says "you are what you eat"

and as Jesus taught us to pray for

Give us this day our daily bread, Our hallowed Father in Heaven.Amen

Quote:
"If you give yourself to Him, and accept Him as your Saviour, then, sinful as your life may have been, for His sake you are accounted righteous. Christ’s character stands in place of your character, and you are accepted before God just as if you had not sinned." Ellen G. White CSA 30

My character is as filthy rags. But praise God I am judged by the character of Jesus and not mine.

I believe in Hematology.

Quote:
"If you give yourself to Him, and accept Him as your Saviour, then, sinful as your life may have been, for His sake you are accounted righteous. Christ’s character stands in place of your character, and you are accepted before God just as if you had not sinned." Ellen G. White CSA 30

My character is as filthy rags. But praise God I am judged by the character of Jesus and not mine.

Isn't that judgment how we know our characters are as filthy rags?

I personally think that qoute says We are judged to become like Christ because we choose to trust him as our Saver/Healer from our filthy ragged characters to a Jesus Christlike Character which is the same as Our Father in Heavens Character.

excited and that is how we are accounted righteous. We make the right decision to follow.

no judgment involved here

ALL have characters that are as filthy rags.

I don't have to even know my own character ... but I can know that mine and ALL others are filthy.

The only human with anything else was Jesus. When I stack my life up to his ... I am not worthy to hold his coat.

That is why HIS life is the substitute for mine. His life is placed over mine so that the Father sees not my own life but the life of His son. That is the Gospel friends. cool2

I believe in Hematology.

• Administrators

no judgment involved here

ALL have characters that are as filthy rags.

I don't have to even know my own character ... but I can know that mine and ALL others are filthy.

The only human with anything else was Jesus. When I stack my life up to his ... I am not worthy to hold his coat.

That is why HIS life is the substitute for mine. His life is placed over mine so that the Father sees not my own life but the life of His son. That is the Gospel friends. cool2

My friend, stop looking at your performance or anyone else's because it will drag you down. Why do you focus on the filthiness of yourself or any other person? Talk about Jesus and what He has done FOR YOU and CAN and WILL do for you. There is no hope in earthly garments, so why even mention it? Don't stop there- we have a gospel to live and to share:

"The Spirit of the Lord is upon me (Christ)

Because He hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor,

He has sent me to heal the broken hearted,

to preach deliverance to the captives,

and recovering of sight to the blind,

to set at liberty them that are bruised" Luke 4:18

If you are broken-hearted, captive by anything or bruised, JESUS came to minister to YOU.

Amen Sister.

You went further than I did ... but all good.

I believe in Hematology.

• 5 months later...
Quote:
That season of distress and anguish will require an effort of earnestness and determined faith that can endure delay and hunger, and will not fail under weakness, though severely tried. The period of probation is the time granted to all to prepare for the day of God. If any neglect the preparation, and heed not the faithful warnings given, they will be without excuse. Jacob's earnest, persevering wrestling with the angel, should be an example for Christians. Jacob prevailed because he was persevering and determined. All who desire the blessing of God, as did Jacob, and will lay hold of the promises as he did, and be as earnest and persevering as he was, will succeed as he succeeded. Why there is so little exercise of true faith, and so little of the weight of truth resting upon many professed believers, is because they are indolent in spiritual things. They are unwilling to make exertions, to deny self, to agonize before God, to pray long and earnestly for the blessing, and therefore they do not obtain it. That faith which will live through the time of trouble must be daily in exercise now. Those who do not make strong efforts now to exercise persevering faith, will be wholly unprepared to exercise that faith which will enable them to stand in the day of trouble. {1SP 124.1}

Galatians 3:29

(29) And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.