ClubAdventist is back!

Westboro Baptist Church

Stan

• Moderators

Yes. It's a strong support of the First Amendment. Even though the "speech" which is being protected here is offensive to many people, the Supremes still ruled [8-1 I think] in favor of their First Amendment rights.

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

Yes Jeannie. And as much as we would dislike it ... it was the right thing to do.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

I had always thought if a group was to have a demonstration, that they first had to procure a permit. Guess I am wrong.

Yes Jeannie. And as much as we would dislike it ... it was the right thing to do.
I'm not totally convinced. Judge Alito asserts that the court has just extended the right of freedom of speech to include the right to intentionally inflict pain and suffering on another human being. This Westboro group is perhaps the most despicable group of people in the country. They invite the judgments of God on themselves rather than on their intended victims.

Originally Posted By: Woody
I'm not totally convinced. Judge Alito asserts that the court has just extended the right of freedom of speech to include the right to intentionally inflict pain and suffering on another human being. This Westboro group is perhaps the most despicable group of people in the country. They invite the judgments of God on themselves rather than on their intended victims.

I agree with you. But I would not want you or any of your friends to decide what speech is inflicting pain and what speech is not.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Administrators

I had always thought if a group was to have a demonstration, that they first had to procure a permit. Guess I am wrong.

It is my understanding that the Westboro bunch do carefully comply with any local regulations placed on demonstrations, including obtaining permits. In the instant case local law enforcement restricting how close they could be to the actual funeral. They remained at that distance on public property, which was at least 1000 feet. Mr. Snyder (the father of the dead soldier) said he could only see the tops of the signs while driving to the funeral and really did not know what it was all about until he saw it on the news later.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Administrators

Yes. It's a strong support of the First Amendment. Even though the "speech" which is being protected here is offensive to many people, the Supremes still ruled [8-1 I think] in favor of their First Amendment rights.

An 8-1 decision on this helps restore my confidence in the Supreme Court. If our right to free speech is erroded, all of our freedoms begin to crumble. It is the foundation of a free press, freedom of assembly, freedom of religion, political freedom, etc.

The irony is that soldier died in defense of our freedoms, including the right of the Westboro Baptist bunch to freely express their views without govermental interference.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

Originally Posted By: Dottie

It is my understanding that the Westboro bunch do carefully comply with any local regulations placed on demonstrations, including obtaining permits. In the instant case local law enforcement restricting how close they could be to the actual funeral. They remained at that distance on public property, which was at least 1000 feet. Mr. Snyder (the father of the dead soldier) said he could only see the tops of the signs while driving to the funeral and really did not know what it was all about until he saw it on the news later.

If these are the accurate facts then I concur with the decision.

• Moderators

Here's a good article about the ruling in this case. It's obvious from this article that the demonstrators did obtain a permit and did comply with all local laws before they marched.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arch...titution/71949/

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

• Moderators

Tom, Do you think they would have made the same decision if it were members of the Westboro Mosque who were having these demonstrations? I tend to doubt it.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Members

Here's a link to what Shawn Boonstra had to say on this subject

http://www.adventistreview.org/article.php?id=4217

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Moderators

interesting thought

It seems to me that its the speaker rather than the speech that determines how free the speech is allowed to be.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein