ClubAdventist is back!

Why Adventists don't agree with the Nicene Creed.

Gustave

Trinity discussion bump for Ted.

You do this for ltttle ol' me???

Why thank you! This thread has been dormant for over a year...

I have only studied the "first page" (I've got my settings at 50 posts per page - your mileage may vary), so I've got the early flow understood, and now am reading a bit deeper to understand what is being said by each participant. The tenor of the discussion (at least, through the first 50+posts) is quite a bit more respectful.

It appears, like most Christology discussions, that the subject of discussion went quickly from why Adventists don't "agree" with the Nicene Creed, to a prolonged discussion concerning Christ's Divinity versus His Humanity. It also appears that some of the basics of temptation have also been covered.

Just to throw some food for thought out, I tend to think the human mind approaches the concept of Christ choosing "sin" anthropocentricly - only as it pertains to His humanity. However, the more I read Matthew 4:2-4, I am coming to think there were infinitely far greater ramifications than simply the human race being condemned in sin for all time.

Blessings,

"As iron sharpens iron, so also does one man sharpen another" - Proverbs 27:17

"The offense of the cross is that the cross is a confession of human frailty and sin and of inability to do any good thing. To take the cross of Christ means to depend solely on Him for everything, and this is the abasement of all human pride. Men love to fancy themselves independent. But let the cross be preached, let it be made known that in man dwells no good thing and that all must be received as a gift, and straightway someone is offended." Ellet J. Waggoner, The Glad Tidings

"Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway" - John Wayne

"The person who pays an ounce of principle for a pound of popularity gets badly cheated" - Ronald Reagan

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• John317

• Gustave

• miz3

• skyblue888

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Bump for 02bwise.....

...Quotes from Ellen White and Other SDA's.

...That God the Son could have become extinct, permanently.

• 8 months later...

This may shed some light also as to why the Creed will not be repeated in seventh-day Adventist churches.

The Trinity

IN the fourth and fifth centuries many absurd views were set forth respecting the Trinity — views that stood at variance with reason, logic, and Scripture. As these views were formulated into creeds, humanity had to shut its eyes and receive them as the dictates of God, though they were verily human and some of them even satanic. Mystery was heaped upon mystery, and the mind of man at last gave up the effort to reason out the dogmas of what claimed to be religion. Satan was behind this work of mystification, just as he has been behind every other false idea of God. Where Satan cannot lead into absolute unbelief, he will endeavor to mystify so that the belief remaining may prove ineffectual. From the confusing idea of "one God in three Gods," and "three Gods in one God "—the unexplainable

dictum of theology. Union Conference Record, July 19, 1909

Although I don't agree with the SDA rejection of the Trinity I can see why...

...SDA leadership would abhor SDA members reciting a creed which they identified as "Satanic".

In defunct Calvinism -- God has to be in charge of every atom all the time just the way a human would - if that human were expected to know the future.

In defunct Calvinism - if God knows something about a person ahead of time - then the person has no free will. Yet even defunct Calvinism will admit that "God has free will" -- and that "Christ is God" - and yet God knew what Christ would do all along.

This is one of the reasons that it is "defunct" - it makes God the cause of His own lament - and it also charges God with not having free will since God knows the future - and therefore knows what HE will do in the future.

That is why I don't play these games with them all that much. Their model is flawed to start with.

in Christ,

Bob

John 8:32 - The Truth will make you free

“The righteousness of Christ will not cover one cherished sin." COL 316.

In defunct Calvinism -- God has to be in charge of every atom all the time just the way a human would - if that human were expected to know the future.

In defunct Calvinism - if God knows something about a person ahead of time - then the person has no free will. Yet even defunct Calvinism will admit that "God has free will" -- and that "Christ is God" - and yet God knew what Christ would do all along.

This is one of the reasons that it is "defunct" - it makes God the cause of His own lament - and it also charges God with not having free will since God knows the future - and therefore knows what HE will do in the future.

Jackson,

Those quotes you provided that Ellen said were no different than the things said by the anti-Trinitarian contemporaries of Ellen. It's strange that these things are boasted to mean Ellen supported the Trinity when folks you would agree rejected the Doctrine said the same things.

How does this work?