ClubAdventist is back!

The Paradox of Adventism

fccool

Don't believe whom?

The person who said something about "SDA ADD"

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

offtopic

Never listen to someone posting in the middle of a Deep Purple concert!!

backtopic

You are the one that mentioned the "Off Topic," so show us how to do what the sign says.

post-4001-140967449018_thumb.jpg

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

• 3 years later...

How do we know if we are "open to all Truth"?

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

How do we know if we are "open to all Truth"?

Why do we reject the idea of having a Creed? - Because we remain open to new revelation from Scripture. That in my mind is a good example of remaining open to all Truth?

Hi Woody,

For me, being open to all truth is holding on to what you believe until someone convinces you otherwise.  That requires one to keep an open mind.  It also may expose you to some pretty convincing deception - at least temporarily.  I always like to bounce things off of several people prior to putting something into or deleting anything from my '"faith file".  This forum's pretty good for that.  If you post anything out of the ordinary, you're sure to get an earful on both sides of the fence.

Simply put, Adventism is an "Us versus Them" construction. Usually, Adventists do not deal with one issue at a time because they see churches as "wholes", as systematic doctrinal schemes.

Just read this morning in Manuscript Releases that SDA have a persecution complex. It's like we are mainstream today and enemy #1 tomorrow.

His child Henry 

Bible student/Author https://www.loudcry101.com

• Moderators

Just read the first post and some of the end of this thread. Interesting topic fccool. My observations are:

Yes, there are those with in Adventism who feel that we have arrived. When wanting to pick a church name this group wanted us to be called "The Church of God". However the name that won out was "Seventh-day Adventism" not making a claim beyond being Adventists who were keeping the 7th day. We do not call our ministers Reverend as that is a term that belongs only to God. And Mrs. White made a lot of comments that there is a lot more truth to learn. However there are those with that attitude that she was not able to win over.  

However we also see that same spirit outside of the church and among those who have left the church. I get worried when I drive by a church and see them advertise themselves as "Full Gospel" The only place you have the full Gospel is in Jesus Christ him self. Once you get to the Apostles you have a version of the Gospel, which includes disagreements and contradictions, but with a supportive spirit as opposed to a competitive spirit with an "I have the truth" attitude. Even in the Old Testament  you have the 3 parties: Royal, Priesthood of Aaron and Priesthood of Moses. Compare and contrast Mark and Luke. Compare and contrast Leviticus and Deuteronomy.

However, if you study out how Mrs. White understood spiritualism, we discover that the occult, séances, Ouija boards  etc, to here is NOT spiritualism in and of it self, but only one popular way spiritualism is spread. To White, Spiritualism itself is that attitude that there is no right or no wrong except for what's right or wrong for you. Your inner consciousness, the divine inside of you. A counterfeit of the Holy Spirit where his job is separated from the work of God the Father and God the Son.

On the other hand the "beast" is where someone stands in place of God to tell you what final truth is. It is a counterfeit of God the Father, separated from the work of God the Son and God the Holy Spirit.

Satan tends to have us go into either one or the other of these two camps. The Paradox of Adventism is making a oneness  of the opposites.  That we are to not gravitate towards one or the other as Satan wants us to do, but through Christ, embrace both. That there is a definite  truth out there and that truth is truth and not based on my experience. But that God does not give up on me because I have a way to grow in truth, but is working with me where I am.

• Moderators

Another thing I noticed in the original post is that the Investigative Judgment doctrine may be wrong. May I suggest that you do not understand the doctrine. That too many Adventists read into Mrs. White's words the ideas of the anti-Jones and Wagner group and have that color how we understand the doctrine. And we try to fit this into the ideas of the Reformation and other ideas developed during the Dark Ages, their views of hell and judgment and intercession. Desperate parents use it as a way to get their children to mind that "If your name comes up in the Judgment today and you are sinning you will be lost." and we try to fit this in a very narrow and selfish perspective of how do I get God to let me into heaven instead of sending me to hell. This usual context for approaching the doctrine does indeed make it appear to be wrong and something to our advantage to give up.

That maybe reading it from a different perspective that it can make a big difference. If we give up our superstitions and read it in light of more truth, how Wesley went beyond the Reformers, the truth about hell, freedom of choice, what did the Jewish word "Kippur" mean, the universal issues of the Great Controversy, the increase of the activities of Satan is countered to our benefit by the increase in the work of God. That in this context the Investigative Judgment fits in and is a very joyful doctrine.

A small note to add is that there are no shortage of groups where members in the group believe that they are correct to the exclusion of others, but its never the teaching of the denomination. Take the Assemblies of God and other Pentecostal groups for example. Many in them believe that they are it because Christians from mainstream churches need to learn from them about being baptised in the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues and will work hard to win people away from their churches and into the AOG and other groups. Yet that teaching is not nor has ever been the teaching of the denomination.

Sojourner,

As a closet Pentecostal/Charismatic (don't tell anyone), I must disagree.  Being able to speak in tongues is the least of the spiritual gifts; and having that gift or not having it is not evidence of the baptism of the Holy Spirit.  Furthermore, one of the most basic tenets of charismatics is that we can all learn from each other, if we would only not let denominationalism get in our way.

A small note to add is that there are no shortage of groups where members in the group believe that they are correct to the exclusion of others, but its never the teaching of the denomination...  Yet that teaching is not nor has ever been the teaching of the denomination.

My favorite author said:

"The great error with churches in all ages has been to reach a certain point in their understanding of Bible truth and there stop. There they anchored. They ceased to "Go forward," as much as to say, "We have all-sufficient light. We need no more." And they refuse light."  {1888 826.2}

So if a particular church stops, should the members stop too?

And if the members choose to continue to go after their church stops, are they still in the church?

Or if church members find more light, should they hide it under a bushel or share it with their brethren?

And if the denomination refuses to look at the light then what?

Does not Jesus address this in the messages to the Churches in Rev?

Looking at us: Isn't Adventism Laodicean? Are we all supposed to see?

Don't some of the Laodiceans make Jesus ill?

His child Henry 

Bible student/Author https://www.loudcry101.com

Don't some of the Laodiceans make Jesus ill?

I was right along with you until you said this.  Jesus loves all people - even Laodiceans.  I better rendering of Rev. 3:16 is "I will spit you out"; not "vomit".

I was right along with you until you said this.  Jesus loves all people - even Laodiceans.  I better rendering of Rev. 3:16 is "I will spit you out"; not "vomit".

Why do you believe that is a better rendering of the Word?

God is Love! Jesus saves! :smiley:

Lift Jesus up!!

Why do you believe that is a better rendering of the Word?

I'm no language expert, so I gotta go with those who are.  I looked at 49 Bible transations, and 36 of the 49 used the words "spit", spew" ar "cast out".  Only 13 used the word "vomit".  In my relative ignorance, I am going with the majority.

I've not met anyone who refuses more light. I suppose I could say that about some who refuse MY light. But it is all a matter of interpretation.

I believe in Hematology.

I've not met anyone who refuses more light. I suppose I could say that about some who refuse MY light. But it is all a matter of interpretation.

18 We ourselves heard that voice from heaven when we were with Him on the Holy mountain.19Because of that experience, we have even greater confidence in the message proclaimed by the prophets. You must pay close attention to what they wrote, for their words are like a lamp shining in a dark place—until the Day dawns, and Christ the Morning Star shinesg in your hearts. 20Above all, you must realize that no prophecy in Scripture ever came from the prophet’s own understanding, 21or from human initiative. No, those prophets were moved by the Holy Spirit, and they spoke from God. 2 Peter 1

God is love! Jesus saves! :smiley:

Lift Jesus up!!

Since leaving 3-4 years ago I have encountered numerous friends and family who while being "faithful" SDA's were completey unable to justify or show me their beliefs in the Word. For them it was enough "knowing" that they were right and there was no way I could be right. Not even on one single point.

Shalom

Look, there's confusion everywhere even in Adventist circles, but I've noticed that "other" Christians (Baptist, Methodist, etc) have confusing doctrines also. Every church has "wheat & tares...sheep & goats."  Every Church has those who are resting in Christ's finished work and those who are self-righteous and seek to bring glory to themselves.  

The SDA church was raised to continue the reformation.  The reformers of yesterday did not fully restore the gospel to its purity as in the days of Christ and the Apostles.    Sadly, Satan has had great success in retarding the three angel's message. However, it will be the SDA denomination that finishes the reformation and presents the gospel in it's purity.  In fact it has already happened!  The SDA church will continue to reform until there's a shaking.  The shaking will be over the gospel received by faith or justification by faith.  After all this is the three angel's message in verity:

"Several have written to me, inquiring if the message of justification by faith is the third angel’s message, and I have answered, “It is the third angel’s message, in verity.”– The Review and Herald, April 1, 1890.

My point?  I do not attend my local SDA church because as far as I know it is still controlled by those presenting "another gospel".  Neither do I attend other Christian denominations because they have an incomplete gospel.  

There is great hope for the SDA church.  Don't abandon it.  

No hch .... interpretation is NOT usually a matter of life and death. Just a matter of who might win a debate.

I believe in Hematology.

• Members

Maybe we are not talking about the dame thing?

"dame" in the above sounds like a combination of two words ... LOL ...  (but I know it was supposed to be "same")

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

Wody

How do you understand the meaning of "interpretation"

Maybe we are not talking about the dame thing?

Truth is never any less than Truth. How we interpret it is subject to change.

8Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. 9Do not be carried away by varied and strange teachings; for it is good for the heart to be strengthened by grace....Heb 13

God is Love! Jesus saves! :smiley:

Lift Jesus up!!