ClubAdventist is back!

Coffee is good for U

Woody

According to ABC News -

Drinking 6 cups of coffee a day will cut your cancer risk by 60%. Coffee contains cancer fighting ingredients that no other drink has.

EGW is rolling over in her grave shaking her head.

I report you decide. Don't get angry at me. I don't drink the stuff.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Overaged

• Bravus

• ClubV12

• JawgeFromJawja

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

According to ABC News -

Drinking 6 cups of coffee a day will cut your cancer risk by 60%. Coffee contains cancer fighting ingredients that no other drink has.

I report you decide. Don't get angry at me. I don't drink the stuff.

The tobacco industry commissioned studies about tobacco. The sugar industry has studies commissioned about sugar and HFCS. The alcohol industry has commissioned studies about alcohol. MS has commissioned studies about the cost of ownership of Windows vs Linux.

All of these studies, by some odd chance, just happen to favor the products the industry, or company, sells. Do you see a pattern emerging?

This was an independent scientific study.

I believe in Hematology.

This was an independent scientific study.

By who, and who paid for the study? The money to do the study had to come from somewhere.

Gary. It was Harvard Research. Don't get much better than that.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20063692-10391704.html

48,000 American men who reported their coffee consumption every four years from 1986 to 2008

You can't argue against 48,000 men.

I believe in Hematology.

I think EGW's concern was the caffiene. Caffeine is a mixed bag when looking at long term impact on health. Some studies show it fuels carcinogens and others show it actually helps fight cancer. So I think the jury is out on that. However in the short term we know that caffeine can raise blood pressure, tighten arteries, increase stress, disturb sleep and is very addictive.

My answer is to drink decaf. I know some Adventists find that objectionable.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Moderators

What my friend Woody has forgotten to mention is that the study is specifically about prostate cancer, not all cancer.

This article gives a good overview and links to the actual paper: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/225798.php

Can't get access to the full version to check acknowledgements of funding, but I doubt it's coffee industry funded.

As noted, decaf yields the same benefits as caffeinated coffee.

(I have one very tentative guess about the cause - it may just be drinking enough in total. People who drink 6 cups of coffee drink 6 cups of water by doing that, and those who drink too little may be at greater risk of prostate cancer. I hasten to add that this is just a total guess with no evidence to back it up.)

Truth is important

I read a study once about beneficial properties of coffee and it did note that caffeinated coffee produced greater benefits than decaf but decaf did provide the same benefits just on a smaller scale. Now I don't recall specifically which properties those were. It does make sense that caffiene would act as a catalyst. Caffeine moves the contents of our stomachs into our blood quicker. So if there is something good about coffee, caffiene would get more of that "good" stuff into our blood quicker. If there is something "bad" about cola (i.e. color additive) the caffiene would get more of that bad stuff into our blood. So when we look at long term effects, caffeine may just be a catalyst. The short term effects I listed above are enough for me to avoid it. I have had palpitations caused by anxiety and caffeine has been linked directly to those. I also find when I drink caffeine I have a harder time getting to sleep, I toss and turn more and sometimes have to get up to urinate. When I avoid caffeine I fall asleep normally within 5 minutes and don't usually wake up until it is time to get up.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

What my friend Bravus failed to mention is that coffee helps more than just prostate cancer. See below a snippet of the link I posted.

Quote:
The researchers were at a loss to explain exactly why coffee was associated with lower risk. But they noted that coffee contains antioxidants and antiinflammatory compounds, in addition to substances that help regulate insulin levels.

Coffee has already been linked to reduced risk for type 2 diabetes, gallstones, Parkinson's disease, and liver cancer. And recent studies suggest that drinking coffee doesn't increase the risk for heart disease or stroke, according to the Harvard School of Public Health website.

Prostate cancer is the second-leading cause of cancer death among American men, after lung cancer.

I believe in Hematology.

• Members

I just love these study's. There is no doubt that there is some good, but how about all the negative's? The thing is there are better things to help with prostate cancer and don't have negative's for other things like Shane has already mentioned. And in studies from years ago its been said that coffee increases your bad colesterol levels.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Yes pk. But I do not want to have Parkinsons' Disease. And coffee helps protect against that also.

I believe in Hematology.

• Members

Oh don't get me wrong, I would never tell anyone not to drink coffee or anything else they want. I think there other things to help with that? But not positive.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Moderators

... And in studies from years ago its been said that coffee increases your bad colesterol levels.

Apparently using a paper filter rather than just a mesh one in your percolator will fix that by capturing the oils in the coffee.

Truth is important

Moderate wine intake was associated with a decreased all-cause mortality in 35,000 Frenchmen studied, but I'm not recommending wine intake.

Regular milk drinking was associated with a decreased all-cause mortality in a large Scottish study, but I'm not recommending milk intake.

EVERYBODY who partakes of a vegetarian diet ultimately dies.

I DO recommend a vegetarian diet.

Gary. It was Harvard Research. Don't get much better than that.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20063692-10391704.html

48,000 American men who reported their coffee consumption every four years from 1986 to 2008

You can't argue against 48,000 men.

Ummm.... Harvard did not fund the research. You must follow the money to find out if the results of any research in this day and age is actually valid.

You just might find the following link to be relevant.

http://www.ahrp.org/cms/content/view/523/9/

What my friend Woody has forgotten to mention is that the study is specifically about prostate cancer, not all cancer.

This article gives a good overview and links to the actual paper: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/225798.php

Can't get access to the full version to check acknowledgements of funding, but I doubt it's coffee industry funded.

As noted, decaf yields the same benefits as caffeinated coffee.

(I have one very tentative guess about the cause - it may just be drinking enough in total. People who drink 6 cups of coffee drink 6 cups of water by doing that, and those who drink too little may be at greater risk of prostate cancer. I hasten to add that this is just a total guess with no evidence to back it up.)

There is an epidemic in the number of academic research studies that are being funded by industry groups and large corporations. The influence of all that money is making big inroads into the ethics of the researchers.

http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/sea...;accno=EJ586215

http://www.aaup.org/AAUP/pubsres/academe/2011/JF/Feat/wash.htm

There's a lot more out there about this corruption, but you'll have to research it yourself if you're interested. I figured these two articles were enough to establish a credible baseline.

• Moderators

If someone is interested enough, the article is available online for 30 bucks or so. That would be much better than circumstantial evidence and guilt by association.

Truth is important

• Moderators

The tobacco industry commissioned studies about tobacco. The sugar industry has studies commissioned about sugar and HFCS. The alcohol industry has commissioned studies about alcohol. MS has commissioned studies about the cost of ownership of Windows vs Linux.

All of these studies, by some odd chance, just happen to favor the products the industry, or company, sells. Do you see a pattern emerging?

Or how a dairy & poultry industry-sponsored study touting the benefits of cow milk & eggs.

Why question what the Lord has shown Mrs. White about coffee and tea or alcoholic beverages? The people of the world may fall for these so-called scientific studies, but why would a seventh-day adventist, who knows better, pay attention to them is beyond comprehension.

"Tea, coffee, and tobacco are all stimulating, and contain poison. They are not only unnecessary, but harmful, and should be discarded if we would add to knowledge temperance." Counsels on Diet and Foods, p.420.

"Coffee is a hurtful indulgence. It temporarily excites the mind to unwonted action, but the aftereffect is exhaustion, prostration, paralysis of the mental, moral, and physical powers. The mind becomes enervated, and unless through determined effort the habit is overcome, the activity of the brain is permanently lessened." Ibid, 421.

sky

"The merits of His sacrifice are sufficient to present to the Father in our behalf." S.C.36.

It's possible that these regular coffee drinkers might have other habits in common that could explain the observed effects. People who are very active in mid-life are more likely to be drinking coffee than couch potatoes. Maybe the coffee drinkers aren't benefiting from the coffee as much as they are from keeping their minds and bodies active. The studies make it difficult to pinpoint what is actually going on.

• Members

Why question what the Lord has shown Mrs. White about coffee and tea or alcoholic beverages? The people of the world may fall for these so-called scientific studies, but why would a seventh-day adventist, who knows better, pay attention to them is beyond comprehension.

"Tea, coffee, and tobacco are all stimulating, and contain poison. They are not only unnecessary, but harmful, and should be discarded if we would add to knowledge temperance." Counsels on Diet and Foods, p.420.

"Coffee is a hurtful indulgence. It temporarily excites the mind to unwonted action, but the aftereffect is exhaustion, prostration, paralysis of the mental, moral, and physical powers. The mind becomes enervated, and unless through determined effort the habit is overcome, the activity of the brain is permanently lessened." Ibid, 421.

sky

thumbsup

Having said that I agree with you, I still say everything in moderation. So just to say these items are bad is fine, but there are many other items that are also bad for you.

phkrause

Instead of looking to past centuries of medical advice, we should be thankful that science keeps improving. If not for medical science, there would be a lot more funerals.

• Administrators

Instead of looking to past centuries of medical advice, we should be thankful that science keeps improving. If not for medical science, there would be a lot more funerals.

You reckon? LOL

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Members

It's possible that these regular coffee drinkers might have other habits in common that could explain the observed effects. People who are very active in mid-life are more likely to be drinking coffee than couch potatoes. Maybe the coffee drinkers aren't benefiting from the coffee as much as they are from keeping their minds and bodies active. The studies make it difficult to pinpoint what is actually going on.

Good points Karl. These studies are never what they seem to be. They are always to many variables.

phkrause

It all depends what you are looking for. No research study is 'perfect'. Yes, some are flawed, but peer reviewed studies are the least likely to have serious issues. Of course, if one has a preconceived bias on what the outcome should be, than unless it agrees with that bias, it will be looked on with suspicion!

We need to be careful when saying something is directly from God.