ClubAdventist is back!

Coffee is good for U

Woody

• Administrators

Unless there is something significant missing form the brief report of this study it does't impress me as being very well designed. For starters, the two identified variables, stress and caffeine would need to be isolated to know which was the factor correlating with the increased susceptibility to suggestion. And that to me was the spoiler. Was it stress, caffeine or the "power of suggestion" that caused the subjects to think they heard White Christmas? Since all three variables were present which was it? DId it take the combination of all three to produce that result?

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Overaged

• Bravus

• ClubV12

• JawgeFromJawja

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The power of suggestion was the first thing to hit my mind also. I bet if they had said: "you may hear STAY (a little bit longer) by Jackson Browne" then they would have heard that. lol

• Moderators

I'd like to note that there are plenty of 92 year olds that don't live by this coucil, and do drink coffee, and did smoke pipes. There's more to health than simply avoiding a couple "unhealthy" thinks.

A person who smokes, drink coffee and exercises is much better off than person who does neither.

Plenty? I'd like to see the numbers. They are more likely to be pushing daisies.

HEY ALL

I USE to be a heavy coffee drinker

maybe 10 or more cups a day

in the no smoking program

it is stayed

that CAFFINE is just at addictive as NICATINE

I do believe that this is true

so any thing that is addictive is NOT GOOD for you

just thinking here

dgrimm60

dgrimm be soundin good!

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

• Moderators

The statement was the caffiene is just as addictive as nicotine. That is simply not true.

And logic fail, ClubV12, if you thought my saying so meant I thought cigarettes are not addictive. bwink

Truth is important

The truh is important.

Yes it is, but it's absolutely useless if you don't put it into practice. But you keep telling us how important it is though, ok?

The same part of the brain is over-stimulated with both substances, David. Area behind the frontal lobe. More people have emotional attachments with their coffee than with cigarettes, I will acknowledge that.

I have told a couple people "you are addicted to coffee."

"No I'm not."

"Okay. Since you are not addicted, you should be able to quit drinking it tomorrow."

10 AM. Phone call. "If I don't get some coffee, I'm going to kill somebody."

Me.. "better have a cup then."

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

• Members

If you're a coffee drinker, try stopping all of a sudden and see what happens. LOL!

I have. Didn't affect me in the least. Go figure... everyone is different...

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

Some folks quit cigarettes without any trouble either, for others it's a nightmare. Pretty much all addictions are like that, it's stronger in some than for others.

A doctor once told me one way to identify a true hardcore addiction with cigarettes is in the morning. When you FIRST wake up, your first thought is to light up. If your like that, he said, it's going to be a rough road stopping.

• Moderators

Marijuana has been called 'emotionally addictive'. Heroin is physically addictive. To say 'Marijuana is just as addictive as heroin' is to say something that is not true. Same here.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but not to their own facts.

Truth is important

Marijuana has been called 'emotionally addictive'. Heroin is physically addictive. To say 'Marijuana is just as addictive as heroin' is to say something that is not true. Same here.

beating-a-dead-horse.gif

Nobody is saying they are the same. Dgrimm said it a couple pages back, but I don't think he meant they were identical. But maybe you should ask him to be sure though. Because truth is important right?

• Moderators

At the risk of further atomising that poor nag, I wouldn't have commented on dgrimm's post but for your and olger's approving quotes of it. (Or, since we're being technical, olger's approving quote and your approval of his approval.) At that point it seemed to me worthwhile to point out that, while the statement might have some emotional resonance, it's not actually the truth.

OK, nag buried as far as I'm concerned, but feel free to dig it up if you'd like to give it another swing.

Truth is important

I am guessing by this post that you have never tried both of these.

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

• Moderators

Meh, one more stick to beat me with around here, but yeah, in my mis-spent youth I did try marijuana. Haven't touched it for decades, though. The reason I never touched heroin was that I knew it was addictive. Same for cigarettes, except for the more or less compulsory one I tried as a young teen.

But anecdotal evidence is not the only kind of evidence. I don't need to try heroin to know heroin is addictive. Lots of other people have done the tragic 'experiment', in addition to well understood chemical pathways and changes that explain why it is addictive.

Similarly, there is a heap of good quality scientific research and evidence that caffiene is nowhere near as addictive as nicotine.

Truth is important