ClubAdventist is back!

We Thought Our Lord Should Come....

teresaq

Matt 24: 15-16

Quote:
So when you see the appalling abomination, of which the prophet Daniel spoke, set up in the holy place (let the reader understand), then those in Judaea must escape to the mountains;

Matt 24: 21-22

Quote:
For then there will be great distress, unparalleled since the world began, and such as will never be again.

And if that time had not been shortened, no human being would have survived; but shortened that time shall be, for the sake of those who are chosen.

Matt 24: 29-31

Quote:
Immediately after the distress of those days the sun will be darkened, the moon will not give its light, the stars will fall from the sky and the powers of the heavens will be shaken.

And then the sign of the Son of man will appear in heaven; then, too, all the peoples of the earth will beat their breasts; and they will see the Son of man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet to gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

Apparently, the Son of Man appeared in the skies while Jerusalem and the Temple were being destroyed in 70 A.D. So sad, we all missed it.

We can safely assume that Jesus' prediction of his return after a great time of trouble and destruction failed miserably in 70 A.D., or, that his prophecies had multiple fulfillments, the first, a shadow because its fulfillment was incomplete, and the other, the reality, occurring sometime in the future at the termination of the Last Days (not Last Millennia).

We can also assume his listeners will experience the events of the Last Days, just as Jesus prophesied to them, and hopefully, they will take to heart his warnings.

Forty years seems a bit long for a human generation in Jesus' time. There may have been a few, though, who lived long enough to see, or die during, the destruction of Jerusalem.

Don't worry, we should be safe, since the time of trouble will only be a localized event, perhaps taking place only in Jerusalem, and not the rest of the world. God's people will be slaughtered in Israel while we continue to eat popcorn, drink beer, and watch late night comedy shows on TV. It will be such a surprise when the LORD suddenly appears in the sky to take us all away.

(Satire in italics)

The Parable of the Lamb and the Pigpen https://www.createspace.com/3401451

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ClubV12

• miz3

• BobRyan

• cheddar

Top Posters In This Topic

That is not the issue. We know they were only instruments of God just as Ellen was. But what we have in Ellen White is more than Jeremiah or any of the prophets in Old Testament times. What we have in the writings of Ellen White is the whole Bible graced with the commentaries of the divine Spirit.

I can see that indeed I had you wrong. Thank you for this more clarifying statement.

I see now that you actually believe that Ellen White is above and superior to the Bible.

I guess we can all chuck our Bibles like sky and use only Ellen White.

You have even gone beyond ClubV12 and BobRyan.

They only think Ellen White is equal in authority to the Bible.

Actually, I'm in complete agreement with Sky on this. I see very little if any difference in Ellen Whites work over any other author found in the bible. Inspiration is inspiration, back in the day, or in the 1800's, same same.

Acts of the Apostles has some interesting statements on how inspiration works. Paul, for instance, did not receive direct inspiration or knowledge of the conditions of some of the churches he was laboring for. This knwoledge was passed to him by people who did have direct knowledge of the issues.

I recall where Ellen White made a comment about 40 rooms in a sanitarium. Turns out there were only 38 and some questioned her status as a messenger as a result. She simply asked someone familiar with the facility, not a big deal one way or the other.

Typical of your responses miz3 is to over blow a comment by someone. No one is saying Ellen White is "superior" to anything.

"Yet now when I send you a testimony of warning and reproof, many of you declare it to be merely the opinion of Sister White. You have thereby insulted the Spirit of God. You know how the Lord has manifested Himself through the Spirit of Prophecy. Past, present, and future have passed before me."

"These words were spoken to me, 'Your work is appointed you of God. Many will not hear you, for they refused to hear the Great Teacher; many will not be corrected, for their ways are right in their own eyes. Yet bear to them the reproofs and warnings I shall give you, whether they will hear or forbear.'" 1 S.M.27,29.

sky

"The merits of His sacrifice are sufficient to present to the Father in our behalf." S.C.36.

"'In these letters which I write, in the testimonies I bear, I am presenting to you that which the Lord has presented to me. I do not write one article in the paper expressing merely my own ideas. They are what God has opened before me in vision--the precious rays of light shining from the throne.' It is true concerning the articles in our papers and in the many volumes of my books. I have been instructed in accordance with the Word in the precepts of the law of God. I have been instructed in selecting from the lessons of Christ. Are not the positions taken in my writings in harmony with the teachings of Jesus Christ?" 1 S.M.29.

Thanks Club, I see we are seeing eye to eye now. :)

I am telling you, for me I am sitting at the feet of Christ every time I open a book from the pen of Mrs. White. What a privilege it has been all these years to sink the shaft deeper and deeper into this mine of truth. Just think about it. In her writings, we are instructed by Jesus Christ Himself through the Holy Spirit, His Representative, and who can teach like Him? Who can comment upon the Words of the Bible better than He can?

I thank God every day for the Testimonies of His Spirit.

sky

"The merits of His sacrifice are sufficient to present to the Father in our behalf." S.C.36.

I see now that you actually believe that Ellen White is above and superior to the Bible.

I guess we can all chuck our Bibles like sky and use only Ellen White.

You have even gone beyond ClubV12 and BobRyan.

They only think Ellen White is equal in authority to the Bible.

I think we have been arguing that Ellen white is equal in authority to Jonah or to my next door neighbor since all humans are sinful - and less than infinite in knowledge.

But when it comes to prophecy you are no longer talking about the wisdom of Jonah - or Nathan, or Agabus - but rather the wisdom of God.

in Christ,

Bob

John 8:32 - The Truth will make you free

“The righteousness of Christ will not cover one cherished sin." COL 316.

I think we have both learned something.

I can now see why you believe the way you do.

You are free to hold to such a position. Its just very revealing.

I am sure you will say the same about me.

I am sure we will continue to have some interesting discussions because of our varying beliefs.

Happy Sabbath!