ClubAdventist is back!

Marburg deadliest ever

LynnDel

• Moderators

Apr 1, 2005 — GENEVA (Reuters) - The outbreak of Marburg in Angola has claimed 127 lives, the highest number of fatalities ever recorded from the rare deadly disease related to Ebola, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Friday.

In a statement, the United Nations agency also said it was sending more experts to Angola at the weekend, including a medical anthropologist to teach about preventing the spread of the virus during traditional burial practices. The WHO has deployed 20 experts to help combat the viral hemorrhagic fever, characterized by headaches, nausea, vomiting and bloody diarrhea. It is spread through close contact with bodily fluids including saliva and perspiration.

Since October there have been 132 cases of Marburg, causing 127 deaths, mainly in Angola's northern Uige province.

LD

What's really weird is, I believe this virus was "predicted" in some TV shows in the mid-1990s ... even referred to by name ... as a real plague and killer that nearly wipes out the human race ... I hope that will not be the case of course!

"After such knowledge, what forgiveness?" -- T.S. Eliot

Ooooh. I remember this movie: Outbreak. The virus was called Mutaba (not that I remembered that--google remembered it for me). Scary movie. Released in 1995--the year my son was born. Know what? As scary as I thought it was, I've pretty much completely forgotten about the Ebola virus.

Quote:

As scary as I thought it was, I've pretty much completely forgotten about the Ebola virus.

In Africa, measles and other trivial diseases kill millions every year.

In the USA, there are some diseases that you really ought to be worried about - and on of the top ones is TB. Spread like the common cold. Resistant to antibiotics. And, in its more active forms, very nasty indeed. It is making a strong come-back.

Ebola and Marburg don't get very far - they are too deadly too quickly.

/Bevin