ClubAdventist is back!

Firings at LSU

Bravus

I've seen the same attitudes toward sports from the "fans" from Washington D.C. to Honolulu, Hawaii and across the world we see it consistently on the news. Riots, fights, arrests, injuries. I've seen it in friends living rooms over any given sport, in any given town or State. Good natured for the most part, but intense enough where I no longer want to be part of that. I don't want to support it, watch it or have anything to do with it.

I've noticed the farther east you go (in the USA) the more intense the sports fans seem to be. In the D.C. area if your not a Redskins fan you better keep quiet. Car racing is no different, the discussions can get quite heated. Both for the fans and the drivers.

Happens every Sunday, in someones living room, somewhere in America and around the world. It's not a "rough neighborhood", it's professional sports reality. Thats why the police are extra duty during a soccer match, baseball match, hockey match, etc. Thats why that guy is still in a coma from the beating he took in California for wearing the wrong jersey. Thats why there were riots in Vancouver recently.

I will not support sports anymore of any kind. And that includes my local church school and their sports program. The bad out weighs the good considerably in my opinion.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ClubV12

• Overaged

• Bravus

• John317

I will not support sports anymore of any kind. And that includes my local church school and their sports program. The bad out weighs the good considerably in my opinion.

Thats going way too far. Those kids are not anything like those freaks in Vancouver or anywhere else where they riot. If you would look into it a little more you would see that it is not sports fans that are responsible for the crazy stuff. To say all sports promotes that is unrealistic and just gives the kids another kick in the seat from adults who think they know something when they don't

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

Regardless of who or how the tape was made, it's done and now has to be examined. If it was illegal, thats a separate issue.

...we need the tapes "deep throat" has provided to understand whats really going on here.

Why do we need such stupid illegal garbage?

garbage in garbage out I guess. maybe this tape is not the real problem

And I can trust"

Turns out the tape was completely legal. One of the four recorded it and turned in the tape himself.

Having seen the ugly side of sports up close and personal. I've come to a personal decision that I cannot, in good faith, support them at any level.

• Members

I've seen this problem within religious circles! So should we than not support religion? I think this is taking this to the other extreme Club. If we look at the problem in those rioting in what ever venue, we see that the common denominator is alcohol, not sports in general.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

alcohol, activists and criminals especially trained to start riots. It has almost nothing to do with the sports.

And I can trust"

• Members

alcohol, activists and criminals especially trained to start riots. It has almost nothing to do with the sports.

thumbsup

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

It's just curious that both incidents happened so close together considering the relationship between Michigan conference and LSU. Can both sides in the great Adventist divide learn something?

I suggest that this is a good test case.

Let us contrast the two cases to see what the reaction of the men on each side is - to their fall before the eyes of their brethren?

Will both of them show repentance?

Will both step down gracefully?

Will both show signs of reform, repentance and reformation?

Let us watch and see.

I believe this will be instructive for the unbiased objective observers.

in Christ,

Bob

John 8:32 - The Truth will make you free

“The righteousness of Christ will not cover one cherished sin." COL 316.

• Moderators

and all this for a glass of wine (or another unspecified alcoholic beverage) ?

I don't believe the evidence supports the conclusion that the drink of alcohol was the reason for the firing. If that is all he had done, I doubt very much that he would have been even disciplined in any way. There are many people there at the Univeristy who ocassionally have a glass of wine, etc.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

Will both show signs of reform, repentance and reformation?

Hmmm, I wonder what specifically we should look for here...and it will be interesting to see how many different opinions there are on that.

And I can trust"

I don't think it will take a rocket scientist to compare and contrast the very different reactions these guys have to their respective fall scenarios.

in Christ,

Bob

• Moderators

....So, we have four men discussing what I proposed in my first post on this thread, separation from the Adventist network of schools. A worthy discussion! Indeed, perhaps that should be considered.

But it sounds like the GC isn't going to let that happen, and they have a strong case in taking that position.

Now the question turns to: What DID the discussion center around? For what reasons were these men considering removal from the Advent system?

I think we can be fairly sure that they weren't simply having an exchange of personal opionions about the topic of separation. More than likely, they were talking about plans to make it happen-- at least something more serious than having a private opinion about whether separation would be good or not. Anyone has a right to express a personal opinion. I would be shocked if I found out it was only that. I would like to see the transcript before I draw conclusions about it, though.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• Moderators

The Inquisition goes on...

Hyperbole perhaps?

• Moderators

Whine aside,,,

Good way to put it.

• Moderators

Admittedly, I have not been following this, but I am interested in knowing why they were being "secretly" taped in the first place.

I suspect they were suspect for some reason, apparently on good grounds. I don't favor taping people in that way, but they didn't ask me. :-)

If people would be straight-forward about their plans and views, they could have just asked them.

• Moderators

So, we have four men discussing what I proposed in my first post on this thread, separation from the Adventist network of schools. A worthy discussion! Indeed, perhaps that should be considered.

I hate to think of that happening. I'm thinking of all the thousands of wonderful people who devoted their lives to making the college and university a church school. The only reason many of them did it was in order to teach people the Adventist Message. The one-room school house where my dad taught is now a museum on the LSU campus. I'm glad he didn't have to see this happen. Those early pioneers in our education system recieved almost no money (even by the standards of those days), but they never even talked about it, much less complained. They were working for the Lord and because they loved students.

• Moderators

...As for Spectrum, I cancelled my subscription something like 20 years ago. I had little respect for what I perceived then as a leftist and anti-EGW bias.

Good insight, Gerry.

I never did have a subscription but I do occasionally read it, and I definitely agree with your description. I remember the way it was back in the 1980s; it was going that way even then, but nothing like it is today. Some worth while articles now and then.

• Moderators

The recorded conversation included:

"...foul language, references to alcohol consumption and unflattering comments being made about board members, administrators, and church leaders..."

Four guys watching a ball game, drinking some wine and "trash talking" leadership, it happens every Sunday somewhere in America. They recorded it THEMSELVES. They turned in the tape THEMSELVES, to leadership. There is no one to blame for "entrapment" or "ease dropping", they said what they said. They were given an opportunity to go public and refute or explain the accusations, they chose to resign instead.

If this is true, my own opinion is that our school is better off without them.

What kind of standards do we as a church have for hiring our teachers? If this is was in a public school, that would be one thing, but in a Seventh-day Adventist school?

By the way, I graduated there and I had a wonderful experience while studying, but then that was 1974-1977.

What is very odd - is the fact that just prior to their trash-talk meeting - they are at a meeting with Dan Jackson where he informs them that they too are to be considered as ministers of the gospel - ministering to the students.

How odd...

in Christ,

Bob

They were working for the Lord and because they loved students.
I met a man like this earlier today. It was such a blessing:

Jer 3:15 And I will give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding.

And I can trust"

• Moderators

Oh yes!! Lord, give us more of such people. They do make them still but they seem rarer these days then before.

Oh yes!! Lord, give us more of such people. They do make them still but they seem rarer these days then before.

And I can trust"

While looking at active posts, I came upon this one.

Read the first page. and some comments on the last. Can't imagine how my views would change the past or influence the future of the university or the staff that has departed.

So I move on...

His child Henry 

Bible student/Author https://www.loudcry101.com

• Moderators

Originally Posted By: Bravus
The Inquisition goes on...

Hyperbole perhaps?

There is definitely a chill wind blowing. Obviously some will say its a good thing. The result, I say, is that we will inevitably become more inward focused. We will focus more on our internal disagreements rather than the mission at hand.

Luke 4:25 “Certainly there were many needy widows in Israel in Elijah’s time, when the heavens were closed for three and a half years, and a severe famine devastated the land. 26. Yet Elijah was not sent to any of them. He was sent instead to a foreigner—a widow of Zarephath in the land of Sidon

Luke 4:27. And there were many lepers in Israel in the time of the prophet Elisha, but the only one healed was Naaman, a Syrian."

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

Originally Posted By: John317
quote=Bravus]The Inquisition goes on...

Hyperbole perhaps?/quote]

There is definitely a chill wind blowing. Obviously some will say its a good thing. The result, I say, is that we will inevitably become more inward focused. We will focus more on our internal disagreements rather than the mission at hand.

That is a good point lazarus.

And I can trust"