ClubAdventist is back!

Show where the Creation 7th Day Adventists disagree with Ellen White

Pastor_Chick

Creation Seventh Day Adventists believe in the prophetic gift of Ellen G. White. In fact, the CSDA Church claims to be honoring the writings of the prophetess more avidly than the SDA denomination.

On this thread, let the opposers of the CSDA Church be very specific in their delineation of the ways in which Creation 7th Day Adventists disagree with the principles taught in the "Spirit of Prophecy" as given to Ellen White.

Let the supporters of the CSDA doctrine indicate how they uphold the principles of the SOP.

A scholarly approach should make for a very informative discussion.

Chick

• Moderators

I certainly don't know the CSDA doctrines well enough to participate at this point.

Is this Wikipedia article a fair summary in your estimation, Pastor?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creation_Seventh_Day_Adventist_Church

(and a side note - Wikipedia says you are based in Tennessee but your location here says 'Uganda'. Have you moved?)

Truth is important

I certainly don't know the CSDA doctrines well enough to participate at this point.

Is this Wikipedia article a fair summary in your estimation, Pastor?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creation_Seventh_Day_Adventist_Church

(and a side note - Wikipedia says you are based in Tennessee but your location here says 'Uganda'. Have you moved?)

Bravus,

Thank you for your interest. :) Yes, I think the Wiki aritcle gives a fair summary, though not in depth. But, explanations can be developed into a wider scope.

What happened was that I was called to Africa on a special mission during the trademark lawsuit. While I was out-of-country, the Court ruled against us in the lawsuit without a trial (I was expecting to return to the US for a jury trial.)

I continued the mission and expanded it from Rwanda to Uganda. When the GC attorney began to request monetary sanctions and jail time, I was counseled to remain in Africa indefinitely. I have been what you might call "exiled from home." I have an assistant who has been leading the church work in Tennessee, but he is now being threatened with jail time. I hope that gives a reasonable explanation. If you have other questions, please ask.

Chick

• Moderators

Thanks, yeah, that makes sense, and I'm very sorry to hear that you're doing it tough. Surely this is church organisation gone mad when a dispute of this kind ends up in legal sanctions of this kind.

Anyway, that's not the focus of this thread, if I understand it correctly - this is about the doctrines.

The 'believers don't sin' (in the sense of known sin) issue caught my eye.

Is this falsified if a believer sins? Or by the act of sinning is someone no longer a believer.

I think I understand the doctrine - plenty of SDAs here also seem to subscribe to it as well. The question is the real, practical, day-to-day life. I've never known anyone who never, ever sinned, even if we limit that to sins of commission. Particularly if we define sin as Jesus did - not just adultery but lust, not just murder but anger.

I'm genuinely interested, not trying to trip anyone up or be contrary.

Truth is important

Thanks, yeah, that makes sense, and I'm very sorry to hear that you're doing it tough. Surely this is church organisation gone mad when a dispute of this kind ends up in legal sanctions of this kind.

Anyway, that's not the focus of this thread, if I understand it correctly - this is about the doctrines.

The 'believers don't sin' (in the sense of known sin) issue caught my eye.

Is this falsified if a believer sins? Or by the act of sinning is someone no longer a believer.

I think I understand the doctrine - plenty of SDAs here also seem to subscribe to it as well. The question is the real, practical, day-to-day life. I've never known anyone who never, ever sinned, even if we limit that to sins of commission. Particularly if we define sin as Jesus did - not just adultery but lust, not just murder but anger.

I'm genuinely interested, not trying to trip anyone up or be contrary.

Chick

• Moderators

OK, that's pretty clear.

I apologise, but having started this conversation I won't be around much to continue it for the next little while: a physics exam in a couple of hours and then a 30 hour flight from Australia to Portugal.

Maybe others can take up the discussion, or maybe it'll have to wait until I get set up in Lisbon.

Thanks again for your thoughtful and well-supported response.

Truth is important

This sin which is unto death is the unpardonable sin, the sin against the Holy Spirit. It is not a willfull sin per se for even Christians commit willfull sins unless you believe that God cannot forgive a willfull sin. The sin against the Holy Spirit is much more involved and takes time, may take a whole life time.

sky

"The merits of His sacrifice are sufficient to present to the Father in our behalf." S.C.36.

Creation Seventh Day Adventists agree with the OT:

The fathers shall not die for the children, neither shall the children die for the fathers, but every man shall die for his own sin. (2 Chr. 25:4b)

When a righteous man doth turn from his righteousness, and commit iniquity, and I lay a stumblingblock before him, he shall die: because thou hast not given him warning, he shall die in his sin, and his righteousness which he hath done shall not be remembered; but his blood will I require at thine hand. (Eze. 3:20)

Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die. (Eze. 18:4)

But if the wicked will turn from all his sins that he hath committed, and keep all my statutes, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall surely live, he shall not die. (Eze. 18:21)

But when the righteous turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and doeth according to all the abominations that the wicked man doeth, shall he live? All his righteousness that he hath done shall not be mentioned: in his trespass that he hath trespassed, and in his sin that he hath sinned, in them shall he die. (Eze. 18:24)

If the wicked restore the pledge, give again that he had robbed, walk in the statutes of life, without committing iniquity; he shall surely live, he shall not die. (Eze. 33:14)

Creation Seventh Day Adventists agree with the NT:

A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them. Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock. (Matt. 7:18-25)

And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren! For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother. (Matt. 12:49, 50)

Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin. And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever. If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed. (John 8:34-36)

Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. (2 Cor. 5:17)

For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame. (Heb. 6:4-6)

For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace? (Heb. 10:26-29)

For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. (James 2:10)

Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin; That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God. (1 Pet. 4:1, 2)

Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him. Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. (1 John 3:6-9)

We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not. (1 John 5:18)

Creation Seventh Day Adventists agree with Ellen G. White:

Jesus continued, "That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit." By nature the heart is evil, and "who can bring a clean thing out of an unclean? Not one." No human invention can find a remedy for the sinning soul. "The carnal mind . . is not subject to

the law of God, neither indeed can be." "Out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies." The fountain of the heart must be purified before the streams can become pure. There is no safety for one who has merely a legal religion, a form of godliness. The Christian's life is not a modification or improvement of the old life, but a transformation of the nature. There is a death to sin and self, and a new life altogether. (ST 03-08-10)

Those who are in connection with God are channels of the power of the Holy Spirit. If one who daily communes with God errs from the path, if he turns a moment from looking steadfastly unto Jesus, it is not because he sins willfully: for when he sees his mistake, he turns again and fastens his eyes upon Jesus, and the fact that he has erred does not make him less dear to the heart of God. He knows that he has communion with the Saviour, and when reproved for his mistake, in some matter of judgment, he does not walk sullenly and complain of God: but turns the mistake into a victory. He learns a lesson from the words of the Master, and takes heed that he be not again deceived. . . . (5MR 349)

"Whoso abideth in him sinneth not," that is, does not wilfully transgress the law of God; for "sin is the transgression of the law." But what conclusion are we to draw from the profession of those who claim to be sanctified, to be living without sin, and yet who openly cast contempt upon the law of God? They claim to possess advanced piety, and at the same time, by thought, and word, and deed, they transgress the law, and teach others by

precept and example that they may sin with impunity. John tests their pretentious claims, and says, "He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him." "Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not; whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him." Those who claim to be sanctified, and who at the same time openly defame the law of God, are in terrible deception, and are blasphemers of the God of heaven. John says, "Let no man deceive you; he that doeth righteousness

[keeps the commandments of God] is righteous, even as He is righteous. He that committeth sin [transgresses the law] is of the devil." God has placed the transgressor of the law in the ranks of the powers of darkness, in the company of the first great apostate. (ST 04-30-96)

The commission of a known sin silences the witnessing voice of the Spirit, and separates the soul from God. Jesus cannot abide in the heart that disregards the divine law. God will honor those only who honor him. "Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law; for sin is the transgression of the law." "Whosoever abideth in Him sinneth not; whosoever sinneth [transgresseth the law] hath not seen him, neither known him."[1 1 JOHN 3:4, 6.] Though John in his epistles treats so fully upon love, yet he does not hesitate to reveal the true character of that class who claim to be sanctified while living in transgression of the law of God: "He that saith, I know Him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him."[2 1 JOHN 2:4.] (4SP 300)

No man who wilfully disregards one principle of the law shall enter the kingdom of heaven. (SW 08-11-08)

The prisoner who at any time went outside the city of refuge

was abandoned to the avenger of blood. Thus the people were taught to adhere to the methods which infinite wisdom appointed for their security. Even so, it is not enough that the sinner believe in Christ for the pardon of sin; he must, by faith and obedience, abide in Him. "For if we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, but a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries." Hebrews 10:26, 27. (PP 517)

We must have a knowledge of the Scriptures, that we may trace down the lines of prophecy, and understand the specifications given by the prophets, and by Christ and the apostles; that we may not be ignorant; but be able to

see that the day is approaching, so that with increased zeal and effort, we may exhort one another to faithfulness, piety, and holiness. "For if we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there

remaineth no more sacrifice for sins." Here is a most solemn statement, and one which should often be presented to souls, to show them the danger of entering into sin after they have received a knowledge of the truth of God. We would warn men and women off this ground. All would do well to remember, when tempted to leave the straight path of right, that those who, having received a knowledge of the truth, apostatize, "sin willfully," transgress the law of God ("for sin is the transgression of the law"),--for such there remaineth no more a sacrifice for sin. "Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompense of reward. For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise. For yet a little while, and he that shall come will come, and will not tarry." (RH 07-31-88)

Our Saviour taught that those who willfully indulge in sin are not to be received into the church; yet He connected with Himself men who were faulty in character, and granted them the benefits of His teachings and example, that they might have an opportunity to see their errors and correct them. (GC 43)

Every willful transgression is an act of rebellion against its Author. Every one who assumes this attitude, is by his practice saying to the people, "The requirements of God are exacting and severe, a yoke of bondage. Let us break this yoke from off our necks, and be at liberty." (ST 01-19-82)

At Gilgal, but a short time previous, Saul had presumed to officiate as priest, in direct violation of the command of God. When reproved by Samuel, he had stubbornly justified his own course. Now, upon the bare suspicion of sin in another--before the lots were cast--he had sworn that the offender should surely die; not considering whether the offense might not be a sin of ignorance, to be expiated by a sin-offering, instead of a willful transgression punishable with death. (ST 08-17-82)

We must be molded and fashioned in accordance with the divine pattern; and if you have lost your Christlikeness, my brethren and sisters, you can never, never come into communion with God again until you are reconverted and rebaptized. You want to repent and to be rebaptized, and to come into the love and communion and harmony of Christ. (1SAT 366)

The principles of righteousness must be implanted in the soul. The faith must grasp the power of Jesus Christ, else there is no safety. Licentious practices are getting to be as common as in the days before the flood. Not one should be buried with Christ by baptism unless they are critically examined whether they have ceased to sin, whether they have fixed moral principles, whether they know what sin is, whether they have moral defilement which God abhors. Find out by close questioning if these persons are really ceasing to sin, if with David they can say, I hate sin with a perfect hatred. (Letter 26d, 1887)

The subject of man's personal responsibility is understood by but few; and yet it is a matter of the greatest importance. We may each obey and live, or we may transgress God's law, defy His authority, and receive the punishment that is meet. Then to every soul the question comes home with force, Shall I obey the voice from heaven, the ten words spoken from Sinai, or shall I go with the multitude who trample on that fiery law? To those who love God it will be the highest delight to keep His commandments, and to do those things that are pleasing in His sight. But the natural heart hates the law of God, and wars against its holy claims. Men shut their souls from the divine light, refusing to walk in it as it shines upon them. They sacrifice purity of heart, the favor of God, and their hope of heaven, for selfish gratification or worldly gain. (1SM 216, 217)

Chick

• Members

This sin which is unto death is the unpardonable sin, the sin against the Holy Spirit. It is not a willfull sin per se for even Christians commit willfull sins unless you believe that God cannot forgive a willfull sin. The sin against the Holy Spirit is much more involved and takes time, may take a whole life time.

sky

You make an excellent point sky.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Originally Posted By: skyblue888

sky

You make an excellent point sky.

Are there any references from inspired writings that would substantiate the theory?

Chick

• Members

Here are a number of quotes from EGW what she says about

The Unpardonable Sin

What constitutes the sin against the Holy Ghost? It is willfully attributing to Satan the work of the Holy Spirit. For example, suppose that one is a witness of the special work of the Spirit of God. He has convincing evidence that the work is in harmony with the Scriptures, and the Spirit witnesses with his spirit that it is of God. Afterward, however, he falls under temptation; pride, self-sufficiency, or some other evil trait, controls him; and rejecting all the evidence of its divine character, he declares that that which he had before acknowledged to be the power of the Holy Spirit was the power of Satan. It is through the medium of His Spirit that God works upon the human heart; and when men willfully reject the Spirit and declare it to be from Satan, they cut off the channel by which God can communicate with them. By denying the evidence which God has been pleased to give them, they shut out the light which had been shining in their hearts, and as the result they are left in darkness. Thus the words of Christ are verified: “If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!” Matthew 6:23. For a time, persons who have committed this sin may appear to be children of God; but when circumstances arise to develop character and show what manner of spirit they are of, it will be found that they are on the enemy’s ground, standing under his black banner. 92 {CCh 81.1}

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Members

In rejecting Christ the Jewish people committed the unpardonable sin; and by refusing the invitation of mercy, we may commit the same error. We offer insult to the Prince of life, and put Him to shame before the synagogue of Satan and before the heavenly universe when we refuse to listen to His delegated messengers, and instead listen to the agents of Satan, who would draw the soul away from Christ. So long as one does this, he can find no hope or pardon, and he will finally lose all desire to be reconciled to God. {DA 324.3}

While Jesus was still teaching the people, His disciples brought the message that His mother and His brothers were without, and desired to see Him. He knew what was in their hearts, and “He answered and said unto him that told Him, Who is My mother? and who are My brethren? And He stretched forth His hand toward His disciples, and said, Behold My mother and My brethren! For whosoever shall do the will of My Father which is in heaven, the same is My brother, and sister, and mother.” {DA 325.1}

phkrause

• Members

This is a very interesting one

In rejecting Christ the Jewish people committed the unpardonable sin; and by refusing the invitation of mercy, we may commit the same error. We put the Prince of life to shame before Satan and before the heavenly universe when we refuse to listen to His delegated messengers, and instead listen to agents who would draw the soul away from Christ. So long as one does this, he can find no pardon, and will finally lose all desire to be reconciled to God. {HL 216.2}

phkrause

• Members

24-32 (ch. 9:34; Mark 3:22; Luke 11:15). Eyes Closed to Evidence—They [the Pharisees] attributed to satanic agencies the holy power of God, manifested in the works of Christ. Thus the Pharisees sinned against the Holy Ghost. Stubborn, sullen, ironhearted, they determined to close their eyes to all evidence, and thus they committed the unpardonable sin (The Review and Herald, January 18, 1898). {5BC 1092.4}

phkrause

• Members

But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, contemptuously, “This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub, the prince of the devils.” These words were inspired by Satan. The enmity and prejudice of the rulers were stirred into a fury of madness; and priests and rulers, Pharisees and Sadducees, united in pouring forth their hatred. From the treasure-house of their hard, stubborn hearts came the words, “This fellow doth not cast out devils but by Beelzebub, the prince of the devils.” They could not ignore Christ’s wonderful works, or attribute them to natural causes, so they said, They are the works of the devil. In unbelief they spoke of the Son of God as a human being. The works of healing done before them, works which no man had ever done or could do, were a manifestation of the power of God. But they charged Christ with being in league with hell. Their talent of speech was used to abuse the world’s Redeemer, and the recording angel wrote their words in the books of heaven. They attributed to satanic agencies the holy power of God, manifested in the works of Christ. Thus the Pharisees sinned against the Holy Ghost. Stubborn, sullen, iron-hearted, they determined to close their eyes to all evidence, and thus they committed the unpardonable sin. {RH January 18, 1898, par. 7}

phkrause

• Members

The Lord sends warnings to His people, not to destroy them, but to correct their errors. I have never been given the testimony to bear to any one, “You have committed the unpardonable sin.” God never told any one to say to a fellow being, “You have committed the unpardonable sin.” He has not given Brother Nelson this message to bear to Elder Breed, Elder Irwin, or Elder A. T. Jones. {RH July 30, 1901, Art. B, par. 5}

phkrause

• Members

“Whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the Scriptures might have hope;” and it will certainly be helpful to recall the lessons of the past in God’s dealing with His people, and to know the interpretations that He Himself gives to these experiences, and then to see how they apply to our own times and to our own experience. Although God’s people had departed from Him, and had done those things that dishonored Him, yet there was provision so that it was not necessary that Jerusalem should be overthrown, or that they should go into captivity. God makes abundant provision for sins of ignorance, but He makes no provision for willful sins. The unpardonable sin is the sin that refuses to be pardoned; it is the refusal to hear Him concerning a sin, and to turn from that sin; it is the sin of refusing His instruction; it is the sin of unbelief concerning His warnings; it is the stubbornness of the heart that will not turn from sin, which seals the fate of any people or any individual. {RH May 19, 1903, par. 2}

phkrause

• Members

The Pharisees sinned against the Holy Ghost. Their talent of speech was used to abuse the world’s Redeemer, and the recording angel wrote their words in the books of heaven. They attributed to satanic agencies the holy power of God, manifested in the works of Christ. They could not evade His wonderful works, or attribute them to natural causes, so they said, “They are the works of the devil.” In unbelief they spoke of the Son of God as a human being. The works of healing done before them, works which no man had done or could do, were a manifestation of the power of God, but they charged Christ with being in league with hell. Stubborn, sullen, ironhearted, they determined to close their eyes to all evidence, and thus they committed the unpardonable sin.—Ms 73, 1897, pp. 4, 5. (“Our Words,” July 2, 1897.) {4MR 360.1}

phkrause

• Members

In rejecting Christ, the Jewish people committed the unpardonable sin; and by refusing the invitation of mercy, we may commit the same error. We put the Prince of life to shame before Satan and before the heavenly universe when we refuse to listen to His appointed messengers, and instead listen to people who would draw our hearts away from Christ. As long as people do this, they can find no pardon, and they will finally lose all desire to be reconciled to God. {HH 146.2}

There were more but I thought this was a good example

phkrause

That's quite a number of posts there, pk. I think you're a little off on the point, however... the issue isn't "What is the unpardonable sin." The issue is, "When John spoke of sins unto death, did he mean the unpardonable sin."

As far as I can tell, there's nothing in any of the quotes that would imply that, and most definitely nothing to imply the Heaven-daring assertion that "even Christians commit willful sins."

You might find some very revealing insights into that topic by doing a quick search through the writings for the terms "cease to sin / ceasing to sin". I saw a number of them on the last page already.

Creation Seventh Day Adventists agree with Ellen White:

Is it possible to be healed, while knowingly committing sin? -- No; it is genuine faith that says, I know that I have committed sin, but that Jesus has pardoned my sin; and hereafter I will resist temptation in and through his might. "Every man that hath this hope in him [abiding in him] purifieth himself, even as he is pure." He has an abiding principle in the soul, that enables him to overcome temptation. "Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not." God has power to keep the soul who is in Christ, when that soul is under temptation. "Whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him." That is, every one who is a true believer is sanctified through the truth, in life and character. "Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth [not professeth to do] righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous." "Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; . . . because he is born of God. In this children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil." Now mark where the distinction is made: "Whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God ... (YI 02-15-94) [ALL brackets supplied by EGW]

Chick

Qinael and Chick, Are you teaching that it is impossible for a Christian to willfully sin and that if he willfully sin, he cannot receive forgiveness from God even if he asks for it?

sky

"The merits of His sacrifice are sufficient to present to the Father in our behalf." S.C.36.

Personally I do believe that the aim is to cease from sin as this statement clearly says:

"We shall feel that as sinners we must lay hold of the merits of Christ and cease to sin." (1 S.M.312)

But if there is no forgiveness for a willfull sin even on the part of a Christian, I am afraid there is no hope for you or for me or for anyone else for that matter. Are you claiming that since you have been converted you guys have not committed one willfull sin and that if you had you would have committed the unpardonable sin?

sky

Personally I do believe that the aim is to cease from sin as this statement clearly says:

"We shall feel that as sinners we must lay hold of the merits of Christ and cease to sin." (1 S.M.312)

[...]

sky

Now, while we point the sinner to Jesus Christ as the one who can take away sin, we must explain to him what sin is, and show him the necessity of being saved from his sins, not in them. He must be made to feel that he must cease to transgress the law of God, which is to cease to sin. (RH 09-27-81)

Now brethren, you want to get hold of the pillars of your faith. Here is Christ in the great antitypical Day of Atonement and you must understand that you need a special preparation for the Day of Atonement. We want our sins taken away, we want to confess them that they may go beforehand to judgment. Do not go away in discouragement, but believe that Christ is able to cleanse you from all unrighteousness. We must cease to sin because sin is the transgression of the law. Put away sin and then cling to the Mighty One who is able to wash away every stain of sin. (9MR 252)

The transgression of the law is sin, and the true believer in Christ will cease to sin. He will abhor sin, which caused so great sufferings to his Redeemer. He will not continue in sin that grace may abound, but he will cast away his sin--will war against the inclinations of the natural heart. (17MR 330, 331)

"Ceasing to sin" is not an "aim" but a "must."

Chick

Qinael and Chick, Are you teaching that it is impossible for a Christian to willfully sin and that if he willfully sin, he cannot receive forgiveness from God even if he asks for it?

sky

Let the Spirit of YAHWEH answer your question(s).

All would do well to remember, when tempted to leave the straight path of right, that those who, having received a knowledge of the truth, apostatize, "sin willfully," transgress the law of God ("for sin is the transgression of the law"),-- for such there remaineth no more a sacrifice for sin. (RH 07-31-88)

Sin will close the gate of heaven against all who cherish it, for they will be without the holy city. Is heaven of any value to us, then let us put away all sin, that we may stand approved of God. (RH 06-28-87)

"Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him; and he can not sin, because he is born of God." The standard which is to test every doctrine, every theory, every profession, is the law of God. "Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin,"--break the law of Jehovah. If a man is born of God, he will respect the principles of the divine government, and will not wilfully transgress the law of God in thought, or word, or action. (RH 04-30-96)

Quench not the Spirit. (1 Thess. 5:19)

Chick