ClubAdventist is back!

Does our "religious liberties" message apply to gays?

abelisle

• Members

I will do my best to find the quote. I know I read it sometime last year. I'll post it here when I find it.

Thanks

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Parade Orange

• Dr. Shane

• teresaq

• Overaged

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Moderators

This is not the quote I was thinking of, but it shows that angels of God prevented Satan from approaching the Tree of Life. I'll keep searching until I find exact quote.

[quote name="Ellen White, Confrontation, page 16"] Satan made his exulting boasts to Christ and to loyal angels that he had succeeded in gaining a portion of the angels in heaven to unite with him in his daring rebellion; and now that he had succeeded in overcoming Adam and Eve, he claimed that their Eden home was his. He proudly boasted that the world which God had made was his dominion; that having conquered Adam, the monarch of the world, he had gained the race as his subjects, and should now possess Eden, making that his headquarters, and would there establish his throne and be monarch of the world. {Con 16.1}

But measures were immediately taken in heaven to defeat Satan in his plans. Strong angels, with beams of light like flaming swords turning in every direction, were placed as sentinels to guard the way of the tree of life from the approach of Satan and the guilty pair. Adam and Eve had forfeited all right to their beautiful Eden home, and were now expelled from it. The earth was cursed because of Adam's sin, and was ever after to bring forth briers and thorns. While he lived, Adam was to be exposed to the temptations of Satan and was finally to pass through death to dust again. {Con 16.2}

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• Members

I've never heard of that book! Thanks for the quote.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

i can't believe these,we are not to compromise with sin just because it has been passed as law,homosexuality as all the other sins is sin,period be it civil issue or religious,let it be known so

• 4 weeks later...

As some of you know, New York has just passed legislation approving of gay marriage. They will now have the same civil liberties that heterosexuals have pertaining to marriage. Note: religious institutions are protected from lawsuits if they refuse to marry them or provide them with access to their infrastructures.

As the PARL(Public Affairs and Religious Liberties) director in my church, I am supporting this as a civil rights issue. I do not condone homosexual acts and by supporting this issue am separating the need for abiding by our 1st Amendment rights of separation of church and state.

Yet I'm being condemned by many as being a supporter of homosexuality by my support for this legislation. I feel that just as God gave all of us free will, homosexuals can choose their actions freely without the need for me to condemn them. Let God be their judge.

I simply feel that their civil rights must be protected even if they are "living in sin". BTW, so are we. If my memory serves me correctly, the Adventist church has supported issues in the past that were clearly condemned from a Biblical standpoint but we stood by our 1st Amendment understanding on these issues e.g. beliefs and practices of other religions.

We preach religious freedom here and all over the world. Why is it then, that we are selective in our promulgation of these freedoms specifically when homosexuals are involved?

Alex

Because we believe religious freedom only means we get to have the Sabbath off from work, Friday sundown til Sabbath sundown?

facebook. /teresa.quintero.790

i can't believe these,we are not to compromise with sin just because it has been passed as law,homosexuality as all the other sins is sin,period be it civil issue or religious,let it be known so

Indeed and welcome,

`G

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

Originally Posted By: morema roseline

Indeed and welcome,

`G

Exactly! And well put morema roseline.

Well, we see RLH and Olger believe religious freedom only applies to those who don't wish to work Fri sundown to Sab sundown...

The problem is, as I see it if sin is sin, then keeping Sunday is sin and we should do something about that too, as in legislation...

Any takers at working for legislation to forbid the keeping of Sunday as the Sabbath, since it is sin?

The pioneers were certainly all for passing laws directed at the "sin" of alcohol use. In effect, legislating morality. I support that concept. You can't lump "all sin" into one pile. Look at the impact of alcohol on society, it certainly needs to be controlled, regulated. Thats not legislating morality it's just common sense. Freeing the slaves? Taking away an owners RIGHT to own another human? Just common sense. Regulating drugs? Same thing.

Now we come to the gay community. Yup, it to needs to be regulated. Lets start with gay marriage, not acceptable. It is morally corrupt and damaging to society, regardless of the argument it's not. It's just common sense.

• Members

The pioneers were certainly all for passing laws directed at the "sin" of alcohol use. In effect, legislating morality. I support that concept. You can't lump "all sin" into one pile. Look at the impact of alcohol on society, it certainly needs to be controlled, regulated. Thats not legislating morality it's just common sense. Freeing the slaves? Taking away an owners RIGHT to own another human? Just common sense. Regulating drugs? Same thing.

Now we come to the gay community. Yup, it to needs to be regulated. Lets start with gay marriage, not acceptable. It is morally corrupt and damaging to society, regardless of the argument it's not. It's just common sense.

Excellent points CV

phkrause

Fine. Now let's get busy legislating against Sunday-keeping.

Given how many times you erred on a recent thread you started perhaps we should review exactly what the pioneers said regarding this legislation...What do you think? Or do you much prefer throwing out opinions instead of facts? :)

"Given how many times you erred on a recent thread..."

Is that what you consider "dialog" and exploration of biblical truths? That if someone "gets it wrong" (in YOUR opinion) any future arguments are not worthy of consideration? Perhaps you would like to discuss in detail the allegations you just made, the errors you suggest, the disgust you manifest?

Your so blind your unable to distinguish truth from error. So stupid you can't see the difference between legislation on alcohol and Sunday laws. Such ignorance is not worthy of consideration as it concerns gay laws.

...pathetic...

• Members

Is that what you consider "dialog" and exploration of biblical truths? That if someone "gets it wrong" (in YOUR opinion) any future arguments are not worthy of consideration? Perhaps you would like to discuss in detail the allegations you just made, the errors you suggest, the disgust you manifest?

Your so blind your unable to distinguish truth from error. So stupid you can't see the difference between legislation on alcohol and Sunday laws. Such ignorance is not worthy of consideration as it concerns gay laws.

...pathetic...

Now Now CV I can tell your getting fustrated, and I understand, but no need to getting down to others levels.

phkrause

Originally Posted By: ClubV12

...pathetic...

Now Now CV I can tell your getting fustrated, and I understand, but no need to getting down to others levels.

Words to live by pk.

...pathetic...

I perhaps could have been more considerate...

but I will not be bullied nor insulted into backing down. Sorry.

I tend to think tho, that this has nothing whatsoever to do with how I stated anything but to do with the fact that I believe the STATE has the right to institute gay marriage, no matter how abhorrent I may find the idea.

I also believe that when a person comes over here all torn up because s/he can't buy completely into the church's position that instead of telling them essentially, "love it or leave it", I should be empathetic and caring. Then if they do end up leaving it won't be on me, or my record in heaven! If I remember correctly, and I do, you were quite upset with me over that incident also 'cause I wouldn't join you in beating her up. I still have a pm from you regarding that...

As well as another incident.

You appear to get quite upset if others do not respond as you believe they should.

Bullied? YOUR the bully. Especially disgusting behaviour considering your position as a moderator. Time to bring this out and deal it with, your behaviour is unacceptable.

I merely stated my opinion, I could care less whether you agree with it or not, but respect it, I insist on, moderator!

Stop harrassing me teresaq(sda). Just stop, leave me alone, quit stalking me, don't speak TO me or ABOUT me again. Don't PM me again. DO NOT insult me AGAIN.

I don't remember having pm'd you first. Could you refresh my memory?

Also could you define what you mean by my "stalking" you? It might be fruitful to show when this has happened. (By the way quite telling choice of words since it was used recently in reference to a certain situation, but behind the scenes. )

Harassing you,

Insulting You?

Bullied? YOUR the bully. Especially disgusting behaviour considering your position as a moderator. Time to bring this out and deal it with, your behaviour is unacceptable.

I merely stated my opinion, I could care less whether you agree with it or not, but respect it, I insist on, moderator!

• Members

I think he means you are self-absorbed, based in egotistical thinking, and insistant that others see things your way. That is bullying.

And I don't care if you answer this or not, or if the post gets taken off or not, because I discern a streak of evil where it should not be.....especially on a so-called Christian forum.

Done. Outta here.

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?