ClubAdventist is back!

So China....

Stan

Did you miss the piece done on nike somewhere by something like 60 minutes, some years ago?

Yes, I did miss that but I don't have a lot of faith in 60 Minutes either. I have actually worked in these industrial parks so I have to place more faith in what my own eyes have seen, ears have heard and hands have touched. I suspect any abuses by Nike were isolated incidents that 60 Minutes used to boost their ratings and anti-free trade agenda.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sonny

• Dr. Shane

• Robert

• CoAspen

Top Posters In This Topic

We can follow the textile industries whose plants started out in the northeast US. Then they moved down to Virgina and the Carolinas in order to lower their cost of manufacturing and thus the price of their product. Then they moved further south into Alabama, Mississippi and neighboring states. Then they moved into Mexico. Now they are moving over to China. This is driven by the market.

Mankind is selfish. That is true. No government policy is ever going to change that.

No, but you can regulate greed unless your government is bought and sold!

Christians, like myself, need to slow the world from rotting. You do this by speaking out and calling sin by its name. Exploitation is sin, by the way....

I have actually worked in these industrial parks so I have to place more faith in what my own eyes have seen, ears have heard and hands have touched.

And I place my faith in what the Bible states, not my feelings. Mankind is by nature selfish. When he's caught he turns self-righteous.

Our country will be exposed for its sinful practices. When this happens the US will turn self-righteous. We already have the Republicans playing the religion card, again.

Originally Posted By: Shane
The nations where these companies build also have worker's rights.

Not like ours... Hence the outsourcing and exploitation.

• Moderators

Quote:
"The market" is based on iniquity.

I think you mis-spelled 'inequity'. HTH, HAND.

Truth is important

Originally Posted By: Sonny
These global firms are going to developing countries not to share their wealth, but to exploit people who can't stand up to such evil.

Their purpose is not to spread the wealth but that is what they end up doing. The idea that the people of China, India or Mexico cannot stand up against American or Japanese "evil" is quite preposterous.

The key for a company to be successful is to produce a product that is affordable enough for the masses to buy. Henry Ford is known for saying he didn't want to make expensive cars to sell to a few rich people but rather make a lot of cheap cars to sell to lots of poor people. That is the key to success. Make your product affordable to the masses.

We can follow the textile industries whose plants started out in the northeast US. Then they moved down to Virgina and the Carolinas in order to lower their cost of manufacturing and thus the price of their product. Then they moved further south into Alabama, Mississippi and neighboring states. Then they moved into Mexico. Now they are moving over to China. This is driven by the market. Companies have to produce a product they can market to the masses.

Our only alternative is to build trade-barrier walls and withdrawal from the rest of the world. Then we would have a whole different set of economic issues and inequalities to deal with.

Originally Posted By: Sonny
Keep in mind how our fathers did the Indians; the Chinese during the gold rush. Keep in mind how the rich southern people made slaves of black folks.

That kind of takes us way off topic. Mankind is selfish. That is true. No government policy is ever going to change that.

thumbsupthumbsup

Companies have left the US because we the public do not want to pay the cost of US based products. Neither do we have the quality shops for producing products. The wages being paid in China afford the populace employed a very good living. My daughter visited the shop were her product is manufactured and found '0' problems. It is a shop designed and run to European standards. I have seen the pictures they took on their visit and meet the owner several times here on visits to the US. The owners are from Scandinavia.

China is more of an issue but placing protective tariffs on Chinese goods isn't going to persuade more Chinese to buy American products.

We shouldn't have trade agreements with China, period! You can't compete with a Communist Regime that doesn't care about exploiting its own people.

The only way to complete with China is for the American worker to come down to their level. Hence it's a race to the bottom. Who wins? The multinational companies that systematically exploit both the Chinese and American workers.

Companies have left the US because we the public do not want to pay the cost of US based products.

False! No, sorry - utterly false!

Bill Clinton, the Republican party and the Chamber of Commerce enacted our current trade agreement with China. It was started on the premise that China would buy our goods and the USA theirs.

Well, that was a lie. The result? A whopping trade deficit that's killing the average American while Corporate profits go through the roof.

With about 20% of Americans out of work, stagnate wages, low wage jobs and tax cuts for the rich, America is losing tax revenues. The fix? Attack SS and entitlements for the poor. Instead the Bush tax cuts need to go.

Instead of fixing our trade problems Washington continues to be controlled by those corporate lobbyists. America is no longer a Republic where we have true representation. Our leaders represent money and power, not Joe the plumber.

I think you are out of touch with reality!!

Why do you think Wal-Mart exists? Making Billions? The promise of paying less!

Why do you think your cloths cost very little more than they did 15yrs ago?

My daughter would not be in business if not for China, guaranteed!!

Our trade imbalance with Mexico is mostly due to the large amounts of crude oil we buy from them.

No, the US's cheap produce has taken out Mexico's agricultural stability. That's why Mexicans are looking for employment in the US.

>>The surprising statistic may be that the US has more murders and rapists than China. One would expect the larger nation to have more criminals of such a nature.<<

And it “may be” that there is much more [indigenous] homogeneity in China than in the USofA. Since time immemorial – there has been friction between the tribes, if you will – and where there is friction – there is violence. Interestingly, the growth industry in Scandinavia

is the manufacture and sale of chastity belts – as the (ahem) fur’ners are gang-raping alla thems lovely blondes of Scandinavia.

So much for inclusiveness...

>>We already have the Republicans playing the religion card, again.<<

>>America is no longer a Republic where we have true representation. Our leaders represent money and power, not Joe the plumber.<<

Hmm, so it seems – someone ought to be playing the “religious card” v the ‘system’, yes?

Before our first pilgrims left the deck of the Mayflower – they covenanted with Gd – dedicating themselves to this new land, its people, and Gd. One reads virtually the same in all of

the founding constitutions of our 13 Colonies... that is, a covenanting with Gd.

First thing we do is get rid of the ACLU and place prohibitive tariffs on Chinese goods – and beggar the world’s currency – whilst we still have the bigger weapons (oops, forgot about Russia – and the fact that we’ve lost our testaments...).

Yikes! --Pogo

And support for public office – any and all who’s not afraid to tell John Q Public that he or she kills his own meat with his or her or gun, as in g-u-n – like the Mama Grizzly... bwink

Gd, give us honest people – with testaments – man or woman!

Quote:
Oh, so she's exploiting also?

Your post doesn't really require a response since you have demonstrated a lack of being able to read what I posted or possibly comprehend. No, she provides jobs at a better wage than they would otherwise be paid or possibly not have.

Take a deep breath, grasp reality, it's good for you!!

No, she provides jobs at a better wage than they would otherwise be paid or possibly not have.

The Mexican government places a maximum wage on what the American and Japanese companies can pay workers so the government can hold down inflation. So the American and Japanese companies there have "company stores" that have basic items such as milk, tortillas, corn flour, rice and beans. Employees are given vouchers to the company store in addition to their wages for working overtime and/or going a month without missing any days of work or arriving late. This attracts the best workers and is a great way of retaining them.

Quote:
Oh, so she's exploiting also?

Your post doesn't really require a response since you have demonstrated a lack of being able to read what I posted or possibly comprehend. No, she provides jobs at a better wage than they would otherwise be paid or possibly not have.

Take a deep breath, grasp reality, it's good for you!!

Sorry, I can't read minds, yet....

The best thing that could happen to all who justify exploitation is to have your jobs shipped overseas. And after that all you can find is minimum wage job.

Conclusion:

Is America’s loss China’s gain? The answer is most certainly no. China has become dependent on the U.S. consumer market for employment generation, suppressed the purchasing power of its own middle class with a weak currency, and, most important, held trillions of dollars in hard currency reserves instead of investing them in public goods that could benefit Chinese households. Its vast purchases of foreign exchange reserves have stimulated the overheating of its domestic economy, and inflation in China has accelerated rapidly in the past year. Its repression of labor rights has suppressed wages, thereby artificially subsidizing exports.

The U.S-China trade relationship needs a fundamental change. Addressing the exchange rate policies and labor standards issues in the Chinese economy are important first steps.