ClubAdventist is back!

Thoughts on the forum, and the future..

Stan

• Members

At times Ellen White affirms the liberalism that is willing to look at SDA doctrinal views and given them serious study while at other times she condemns liberalism.

in Christ,

Bob

Interesting you should sat that Bob. Stan started a thread saying that maybe EGW was a liberal! I personally don't think she was liberal, but a radical in her own way. But yes I'd say she was more conservative than liberal.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Twilight II

• Bravus

• teresaq

• LifeHiscost

quote=BobRyan]At times Ellen White affirms the liberalism that is willing to look at SDA doctrinal views and given them serious study while at other times she condemns liberalism.

in Christ,

Bob /quote]

Interesting you should sat that Bob. Stan started a thread saying that maybe EGW was a liberal! I personally don't think she was liberal, but a radical in her own way. But yes I'd say she was more conservative than liberal.

Some of the labels we keep drumming up are just not needed. To me; Ellen White was just a true Christian - a true Christian is almost always radical for their time. A brief survey of the Reformation would easily show this.

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

• Members

Some of the labels we keep drumming up are just not needed. To me; Ellen White was just a true Christian - a true Christian is almost always radical for their time. A brief survey of the Reformation would easily show this.

I so much agree. The problem is as soon as someone starts with labels its hard to not follow suit. :)

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Moderators

Yep, I agree too: God, and those who are listening to Him, always challenges some features of any culture.

I'd take Overaged's point broader, though: it's not that useful or interesting to label EGW, but it's also not that useful to label the others here, or the discussion. Once we start talking about 'liberals' and 'conservatives' it's a war zone by definition. Better to talk about 'people', 'believers', 'those Christ died for', 'brothers and sisters' and so on.

Truth is important

Whether or not one is accepted in their prophetic office, by those who hear the spoken Word, is only of negative consequence to those who decry the calling.

"Believe in the LORD your God, and you shall be established; believe His prophets, and you shall prosper.”"2 Chronicles 20:20 NKJV

God blesses! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

The other guy is always wrong because I have the Truth. It's innate until self is destroyed.

And one is not bothered by that attitude, other than by sorrow for the opposer, who has accepted Jesus as Lord of their lives, for it is realized God has allowed all humankind to exercise freedom to choose who they want to be. Only when leaving the parameters of God's directions does slavery of the soul, whether obvious or not, invade the individual.

"He has shown you, O man, what is good; And what does the LORD require of you But to do justly, To love mercy, And to walk humbly with your God?"Micah 6:8 NKJV

God blesses! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

• Administrators

I'd take Overaged's point broader, though: it's not that useful or interesting to label EGW, but it's also not that useful to label the others here, or the discussion. Once we start talking about 'liberals' and 'conservatives' it's a war zone by definition. Better to talk about 'people', 'believers', 'those Christ died for', 'brothers and sisters' and so on.

:like:

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Moderators

There's nothing wrong in itself with believing that you're right and the other person is wrong-- on two conditions:

1) that you are willing to consider the other people's viewpoint and really try to understand it;

and

2) that you don't get angry at the person just because you disagree with him.

God wants us to have honest, sincere convictions of what we believe [hopefully after deep study and prayer,etc., and not beforehand :-)], but if the Holy Spirit is in the conviction, there won't be name-calling, personal attacks or anger over a difference in viewpoint.

When it comes to Bible truth, I'm sure God doesn't want us to think or say, "Oh well, I don't think I'm right anyway,

and frankly, it doesn't matter whether either of us is right or not."

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

No-one is trying to stop anyone attending. Or to stop anyone encouraging others to attend. And so on.

*All* we want is to stop people *forcing* others to attend: and forcibly shutting down all other gatherings.

I'm not sure what part of the world you live in, but that is not a prevalent attitude by anyone in our limited sphere of activity. Not saying some don't have it on their mind. I do recognize legislation being formulated where church is becoming more politically correct, that bodes ill for those who will not abide by majority rule.

"And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:

And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name."

Revelation 13:16,17 KJV

God blesses! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

I think the only way to do that is to listen

to what they are saying

and not what one believes they are saying

due to preconceived opinions,

or do not wish the point to be clearly made.

Maybe the problem is one thinks s/he is doing your suggestion not realizing s/he is doing anything but...

1) that you are willing to consider the other people's viewpoint and really try to understand it;

facebook. /teresa.quintero.790