ClubAdventist is back!

Blair asked the Queen's permission to dissolve Parliament

Stan

Any guesses on what will happen, I believe the election is in 4 weeks. Seems to me the last election was 7-8 years ago.

The Iraqi occupation will be front and center I am sure.

Thoughts?

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

In a sense, you are both right. Tony Blair originally became Prime Minister in the general election in May of 1997. The general election in 2001 gave him another victory that enabled him to continue in the office of Prime Minister. The following is from the biography of Tony Blair given on the British Labour Party website:

Quote:

On 1 May 1997 Tony Blair led the Labour Party to its biggest ever general election victory - the party had a majority of 179. On 7 June 2001 he led Labour to a second successive victory in a General Election, winning by another landslide.

Source:

http://www.labour.org.uk/primeminister/

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />

The Iraqi occupation will be front and center I am sure.

<hr /></blockquote><font class="post">

A slip of the toungue I am sure. The enemies of the US refer to it as "occupation". Our allies refer to it as "liberation".

Yes, I am sure the Iraqi liberation will be a prominant issue.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

Actually, the most common word appearing in our press on this matter is "invasion."

And that's mainstream media, not some left-wing communist student newspaper.

aldona

www.asrc.org.au

(Asylum Seeker Resource Centre, Melbourne)

Helping over 2000 refugees & asylum seekers each month

IMSLP/Petrucci Music Library

The Public Domain Music Score Library - Free Sheet Music Downloads

Looking for classical sheet music? Try IMSLP first!

There was an invation and there was an occupation. However since the new government has gained sovernty the US and allies have been invited to stay. The US and allies are now guests and not "occupiers". Iraq has been liberated. The US is no more occupying Iraq than it is Germany, Japan or the Philipians.

Gee, I don't recall a newspaper article where Saddam Hussian asked the USA to come over to Iraq and depose him and kill his sons and take over the country. I also don't recall Afghanistan inviting the US to house our military in thier country.....I must have missed something.... shocked.gifconfused.gifooo.gif

wink.gif

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

Stop it you lot.....

The date for the election is set as 05/05/05.

Polls suggest that it will be a lot closer than expected. Labour is expected to win a third term, as the competition does not seem to add up to much.

Interestingly enough the main agenda will be

1) Immigration

2) The National Health Service

3) Policing

4) Education

Shall be interesting to watch

• Moderators

One of the challenges in both the UK and Australia is (a) the lack of a really credible opposition and (B) the wide variety of issues.

I'm sure people want to punish Blair for the war (Shane - I'm trying to reflect the attitudes of the British people as expressed in the polls, not my own), but they don't trust the Tories enough to put them in government, and as David has pointed out above, there are lots of issues that are more directly relevant to the people of Britain.

I called the US election wrong, so take it with a grain of salt, but my prediction is Blair returned with a reduced majority.

Truth is important

Quote:

One of the challenges in both the UK and Australia is (a) the lack of a really credible opposition and (
B)
the wide variety of issues.

The USA also. The Democrats are having serious trouble figuring out what they are in favor of.

For many years it did not matter, because the Republicans were doing ok.

Now we are in a bind between Democrats with no ideas and Republicans with bad ones.

/Bevin

The litany of Democrats that the Republicans have bad ideas does not have convincing appeal after the success of the election in Iraq, and we can see Iraq progressing toward actual democratic self-government. This is the same thing that has diffused the anti-war sentiment in Britain. Those who still exhibit a knee-jerk opposition to the war, can no longer feel as strongly about their opposition or arouse as much furvor, since the intervention in Iraq seems to be justified by these current developments. Also note that as many observers in Iraq and elsewhere have observed, the steam has gone out of the insurgency, especially as the Sunnis now are scrambling to be included in the new government. Even some of President Bush's harshest critics are begining to admit that he may have been right, and history will vindicate him for his successes in bringing democracy to the Islamic Middle East, something that no liberal Democrat has even tried to accomplish.

I believe that even if in the end President Bush's efforts to democraticize and bring moderation and tolerance to the Islamic Middle East fails, he still will deserve real credit for trying. It is a worthy and honorable effort, no matter what happens ultimately.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />

Gee, I don't recall a newspaper article where Saddam Hussian asked the USA to come over to Iraq

<hr /></blockquote><font class="post">

That has to be one of the stupidest comments you have made.

Quote:

That has to be one of the stupidest comments you have made.

Once again, sly inuendo, and tongue in cheek is lost to you, Shane....So why do I bother? 'Cus it gets to you! grin.gif

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw