ClubAdventist is back!

How good is American health care?

Bravus

I do not begrudge anyone a temporary hand up.Nor continued aid for those that simply cannot do for themselves.

If you run into a financial setback I do expect you to eliminate luxuries before you come to me (taxpayer}for necessities.Those that do not qualify for government handouts are expected to do just that.

I do expect you to pay for the DR visits for your child when you have purchased a large screen TV/cable and other unnecessary

items/services.

As my young co-workers would talk amongst themselves about the latest concert and being excited about getting very expensive tickets I would run into them at the grocery store using their WIC vouchers.Explain the poverty to me that says I can afford concerts but cannot feed my child.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bonnie

• fccool

• CoAspen

• Pockey

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Bonnie, This subject is actually too hot to handle. However, I do know first hand how many people live without contributing anything to the system. And, the numbers increase daily.

That is OK if the same people are willing to live as conservatively as many of us who work long-long hours and do without many things until we can pay for them. Oh, and give up their beer, cigarettes and drugs!

There was a time when it was a matter of pride in the US to support yourself and your family and not take anything from the Government. Today, several times a week I have someone tell me about a new program that you can get glasses, dental medical, food, or even have them come in and redo your home and replace your appliances. This is not just hearsay ... I see the programs in action.

last summer a 40-something lady which I know well; who is healthy enough to work in her yard and do many physical activities, received a free program that roofed,painted, put in new windows and new appliances in her home. Cost zero. (all the while I was saving to replace my a/c unit in tripple digit temps) Oh, she drives a cute 3 year old sports convertable. Her disability: She used way too many street and scrip drugs and "can't focus" well enough to hold a job.

This lady is not the exception. Yet, in the interest of time and space I only picked her. Anyone can get as much help as they are willing to learn to work the system.

There was a time when it was a matter of pride to support one's self and family and NOT ask the government for support. Today, that is not even a consideration for many! Too bad, so sad.

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

It's simply. Life is a right and priority. Anything that threatens it should be diminished by both public and government sectors.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quote:
Really. Explain then the government that says....Your productive years are over,no hip replacement for you,go to the back of the line and sit down,here is a pill.

Explain what you mean by life is a right. I have certain God given rights at birth,then we have manufactured rights by the government or by opinions of others.When you manufacture a right for one,you take rights away from others.

Where do you see me advocating such outcome. That becomes the crux of your argument. You make up a straw man, and then you burn it and feel great about it.

I don't advocate you taking a pill, or accepting Obama care. There are other alternatives, and these should be evaluated and supported.

Quote:
Yes it is and that does not mean all of it's [FTC] functions should be.It's function is not to determine what I eat or how much. Federal Government has a role but should be a limited one. I should not be able to insert a poisonous product into a edible item and give/sell to another,yet the federal government not only allows that but pays a subsidy to those that do so.

It's a very oversimplified argument. Get rid of FTC and you would have insanity. If you lived in other countries, you would know.

You seem to always look for some dirt in a bucket of honey, then point to it and say "Look how terrible that is!"

Quote:
Cops agree to and accept "to protect and serve".They do not agree to "protect and serve" only a segment of the population. There isn't any gun to their heads to force them into that position.

Where's the gun over the head of the doctors? Both Cops and doctors are regulated. Doctors take an oath to protect and serve too. They have to pass the boards, medical boards are government agencies that regulate medicine and grant LICENSES to practice it. I don't need a license to produce media, for example. I can't hurt or kill anyone. Practicing medicine is a great responsibility. That's why it's heavily regulated, and it should be.

Quote:
The hysteria over inadequate health care makes for a great tear jerker.I have recently done some research into available services for an acquaintance not able to do this for themselves. The amount of help available is astounding. From medical,car/appliance repairs/food other than food stamps,education etc.

So, your point is that the help available is adequate?

Quote:
Common sense to you is not a blueprint for me.

Anytime you think you can have your life and health managed by government of any kind and retain your rights is like me saying "I am only a little bit pregnant" When someone gives you a "right" belonging to another,he is taking away the rights of someone else. What the government "giveth" of that does not belong to them can and will easily be taken from you when the time is right.

The government is not some "alien entity". It's representative of the people who elect it. In a collective societal structure... you have rights and privileges. You don't have a "right to drive". You have a privilege to do so... a permission by the society, given that you pass a certain standard. If you are blind, you should not be driving, because it endangers other.

You benefit from the society that you live in. You were born into a complex system that was build by people before you. You have done nothing to "pay" for it. People before you did. Thus you benefit from it in form of finding a job, being able to have structured education, peaceful communities, infrastructure and roads.

You are always free to take a hike to the wilderness and avoid paying taxes and etc. But, while you exist in constraints of society, your rights are constrained by collective of your responsibility to the construct of society. It's a Biblical principle. You won't find "What's mine is mine" in the Bible.

Quote:
I guess you think you have the first and last word on those who have a place in society. You are right,"It is not a matter of "my stuff,leave your hands off" It should be a matter of what I can do for myself and family first on a continuing basis without burdening and demanding the rights of others for myself.

I don't have the first and the last word. The society as a whole does, and I merely relay to you how things are, which you apparently still refuse to understand. You are not a stand alone person. You benefit from societal structure, such structure expects something from you for reaping those benefits.

You can choose to abuse it, but the structure is built on trust. If you want to live in "what's mine is mine" type of society... you are welcome to try to change this one.

Quote:
Making health care more affordable begins with the person themselves.Not expecting insurance to pay for every cough or flu symptom.Actually eliminating those luxuries that prevent you from paying your own.

I'll just start saying "Straw man", because I'm tired of these types of exaggerations. Most of the people I know don't run to the hospital for every cough and flu. They run if there's a concern, especially in young children. For them every cough and flu symptom is dangerous.

Quote:

Wonder why it is that a number of retired military members of mine pay out of pocket for medicare and supplemental and prescription. There are several and not one relies on the government run.

Hmm... because you seem to notice and concentrate on negative and try to find faults even in those who are suffering?

Quote:

That is forced,not voluntary. You want to force acts of charity on others,Not your right.How about I force certain acts on you and call it voluntary?

I don't advocate forcing doctors to perform free surgeries. But, the initiatives should lead to encouraging the practice... OUT OF ABUNDANCE. There should not be a mandate, but there are other benefits that go beyond monetary compensation from such initiatives.

Non-profit route for hospitals is one of these, which can be coupled with willing physicians.

Where do you see me advocating such outcome. That becomes the crux of your argument. You make up a straw man, and then you burn it and feel great about it.

I don't advocate you taking a pill, or accepting Obama care. There are other alternatives, and these should be evaluated and supported.

I don't believe everything that happens to a person is their fault,or even at times when it is they should be punished by turning your back on them.

I don't believe the biblical instruction to give of your abundance is within the governments right to dictate,nor is it within your right to determine what that is for others.

I don't expect someone running into a temporary problem selling everything in the house.If you are going to be dependent on others on a continuing basis while keeping your luxuries you are taking rights of others selfishly.God didn't say to give abundance there.

I live in a rural area.Surrounded by towns 5-10 miles apart in any direction.The local churches give of their abundance. If it were necessary without the benefit of food stamps my husband and I could survive without having to buy food.

Two churches have food distribution every week,no restrictions,they serve breakfast and always have clothing to give away. Two do the same bi-monthly,several have a huge one day food distribution monthly. This is in addition to the local food shelfs each town has, besides the local Salvation Army chapters. That is biblical "Out Of Your Abundance".Several of the volunteers at one time were recipients.When their "abundance" increased they followed biblical principal.

The medical clinic I use has a group of Dr's that as a group bought a plane,outfitted it and spend two months every year at their own expense going to third world countries.Performing surgeries and giving treatment funded strictly out of pockets. It is something to see some of their before and after pictures of children they have operated on. Out of their abundance.

I don't want a Dr caring for my family that gives of his abundance because of government demands.I want something like that coming from the heart and there isn't any government mandate that can provide that

• 2 months later...

HEY ALL

WELL yes the U.S. does have good health care

but yes it cost a lot also

dgrimm60

Lift Jesus up!!