ClubAdventist is back!

Adventist principal killed in Academy

Stan

(WMC-TV) – The body of the principal of a private school in Memphis was found in a pool of blood Wednesday morning inside a classroom.

Officials said the body was found around 11:00 a.m. inside Memphis Junior Academy, located at 50 North Mendenhall in Memphis.

A spokesperson for the Seventh-day Adventist Conference, which operates the school, identified the victim as Suzette York.

York, who lived in Memphis, had been with the school for more than three years.

At the scene, police took a 17-year-old student in custody.

After York's body was found, school officials dismissed classes, and said school would be out for the remainder of the week.

A prayer vigil has been organized for 3:00 p.m. at Mullins United Methodist Church, which is located next to the school.

Check back for updates on this story.

Copyright 2011 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dr. Shane

• John317

• teresaq

• rudywoofs (Pam)

• Moderators

Shocking! Why would such a thing happen?

We definitely need to pray for the family of the principal and for the students and other faculty members.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

Wow! How sad! In our concern for the victims we also need to think of the youth involved. What would cause that poor soul to strike out as he did?

God help us!

facebook. /teresa.quintero.790

What would cause that poor soul to strike out as he did?

Undiagnosed mental illness would be my guess. Of course that is pure conjecture but it is hard to think of any thing else.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Members

Originally Posted By: teresaq(sda)
What would cause that poor soul to strike out as he did?

Undiagnosed mental illness would be my guess. Of course that is pure conjecture but it is hard to think of any thing else.

hard to referee on a person we know nothing about..

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

The crime is alleged at this point so we don't even know he committed it. However if we assume he did then we know two things. 1) he murdered a school administrator 2) he is 17 years old. That is quite a bit of information right there.

• Administrators

And that he was a student.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

...That is quite a bit of information right there.
I'm confused. I see that as the only the bare facts. It doesn't answer any of the questions as to why...

Well what are the options?

• The staff member had been threatening the student and the student felt the need to protect himself?
  • The staff member had a lot of money and the student wanted to rob her?
  • The student was mentally ill and not undergoing treatment?

There are only so many possibilities. If the student was mentally stable, what possible explanation would there be for the student killing a staff member?

OK, Ok, Ok...

Maybe the staff member and the student were having a love affair that went bad.

If I were a betting man, I would say the student is probably mentally ill.

• Administrators

And then there is the possibility of a terrible accident... Or that the student was in the wrong place at the wrong time and had nothing to do with it at all.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

Since the boy was taken into custody, that seems to tell us he is a suspect. Could have been a number of things. However I think the most probable is a young man had an undiagnosed mental illness.

Memphis school principal found dead in classroom; student held

Quote:
Police have detained a 17-year-old student in connection with the death, which has been deemed a homicide, police said. No charges had been filed Wednesday evening...

"Upon arrival on the scene, officers located a deceased female inside of a classroom. The circumstances leading up to this incident are unknown at this time," Sgt. Alyssa Macon-Moore, a police spokeswoman, told reporters outside the school.

Principal of church-run school killed in classroom

Quote:
A motive and cause of death were not immediately released. Police would not confirm reports that York had been stabbed...

Marvin Lowman, the Seventh-day Adventist spokesman, told the Commercial Appeal the killing appeared to have happened in the classroom.

We aren't connecting at all, Shane. To give the bare facts is not,

...That is quite a bit of information right there.
Since there have been similar incidents with all the information coming out later about what the person who committed the atrocity was going through and how "everyone" missed it...Now that would be "quite a bit of information" as I see it.

It depends on one's perspective. To just hear that a principle has died or even was killed is bare facts. But we have a lot more than that. We have seen these types of things happen at other schools and we know that kids doing these things are mentally unstable. I was just stating the obvious. I don't need to know if the kid is from a single-parent home, if he is baptized, if he was on the honor role or if other kids had been bullying him. The kid allegedly killed his principle. Something is wrong upstairs and it is likely that he was undiagnosed.

Can this kind of thing be avoided? Not always. That is the sad truth. Many times there are signs and symptoms of mental illness that can be picked up on. But not always. How do our schools handle that? The school I send my kids to doesn't even have a school counselor.

Ok, then we are saying kinda the same thing in different words it would seem. Thanks for "coming back", hopefully it is straight now. :)

• Members

To just hear that a principle has died or even was killed is bare facts. But we have a lot more than that. We have seen these types of things happen at other schools and we know that kids doing these things are mentally unstable. I was just stating the obvious. I don't need to know if the kid is from a single-parent home, if he is baptized, if he was on the honor role or if other kids had been bullying him. The kid allegedly killed his principle. Something is wrong upstairs and it is likely that he was undiagnosed.

IF the student who was arrested *did* murder the principal, there could be many factors involved - not just "undiagnosed" mental illness. I don't like to see back-seat drivers making assumptions about things they don't know...

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Moderators

I doubt that. But then I guess many things are possible at this point. However, typically if they find someone in a pool of blood, there was a knife or an obvious weapon involved. The other teachers probably knew that the killer was in the building. Since she was teaching, she probably hadn't been away from her class long. I think it's likely that someone at the school believed they had reason to suspect a particular person.

It is even likely that the suspect they arrested confessed to the crime or gave clear signs of having been the perpetrator. He doubtless had blood on his clothes & body.

The student was probably larger than the victim. He was almost certainly very angry about something the teacher was attempting to make him do. I doubt it had to do with money or sex. The teacher probably didn't know the student very well-- maybe only for a few days, and certainly didn't realize he was capable of such behavior. If she knew him at all, she would have known not to do whatever it was that caused him to be angry. It also seems like if she knew him well, she would have known to call for help. He probably caught her by surprise.

It will be interesting to see how much of these things turn out to be true.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• Administrators

The point is we are all just guessing. Nobody seems to care to look for any factual reports before launching extended commentary and speculation about what happened and the motive for the killing.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/201...ner=yahoo_feeds

Sounds like from this news report he confessed to premeditated murder. No indication of what he was angry at her about.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Administrators

Teens' emotions are volatile. You never know what molehills to us will be a mountain in their mind.

It's a hard time to go through. :(

I often worry about our school here, too.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

It is the times we live in. I think some part of us thinks this wouldn't happen at a Christian or private school.

I feel bad for everyone involved. There was a time when I had no pity for the perpetrator but, hopefully, I have grown some in the Lord and now realize things are not black and white, much as that would make life much simpler.

More and more I am seeing the pain behind people's actions. Pain that too often turns one into being the living dead, out of touch with one's own pain and therefore detached from feeling for others.

Well I know what I'm trying to say, anyway. lol

Nobody seems to care to look for any factual reports before launching extended commentary and speculation a

I don't think that is a fair charge. I googled the story and posted some links yesterday. The commercialappeal story did not have that information yesterday afternoon. "Those chilling details were included in the affidavit obtained late Wednesday by The Commercial Appeal." Their story was updated late into the night last night.

IF the student who was arrested *did* murder the principal, there could be many factors involved - not just "undiagnosed" mental illness.

• Moderators

Tom, I'm going by over 20 years experience of working as a counselor to juvenile delinquents some of whom were convicted of the very kind of crimes that we're discussing here.

Of course I know Shane and I could be wrong. There's always that chance that something really strange occurred, such as that he accidently stuck her with a pencil or that he didn't do anything but look at her. But I am assuming that it was a typical homicide by a typical youth who murders someone.

So again, yes, I could be wrong. (In fact, I'd be delighted if the boy didn't do anything wrong and that his apparent arrest was a mistake.) That's what make it interesting to speculate on the basis of a limited amount of information.

A jury and judge of course wouldn't want to speculate, but the public is free to speculate all we want. It doesn't prevent anyone from getting a fair trial.

• Moderators

Teens' emotions are volatile. You never know what molehills to us will be a mountain in their mind.

It's a hard time to go through. :(

I often worry about our school here, too.

One of my sisters recently retired from being a teacher-principal at an SDA school in Kentucky, not very far from Memphis. I can imagine how horrible our family would feel if some student murdered her. So I can really sympathize with this teacher's family.

My dad was also a principal at Loma Linda Academy, and there were many times when something like this could have happened. The reason he retired from it when he did was that he said he began to see a change happening among the kids. They were getting more and more brazen.

Where I worked-- a private boarding school similar to Juvenile Hall-- it was not unusual for students to bring guns on the campus for the purpose of shooting a teacher or counselor.

• Moderators

I just got off the phone with my sister who lives in Tennessee and she told me that the boy who killed the teacher told the police or the arresting officers that he had planned this crime since May of last year. He also said, "I don't like her. She makes me mad."

According to the news reports, a knife was used, and he confessed to the crime.

He was an 11th grader, and was the only student in the science room with the teacher. It is a school of only about 100 students.

The teacher was originally from Canada and went to Pacific Union College.

It happened on the third day of school.

See posts #467205 and #467318 above.