ClubAdventist is back!

Buying groceries on sabbath

Guest truthseeker007

Guest truthseeker007

I just bought groceries at sabbath because currently i am bodybuilding. However i don t know if God is okay with that. What did EGW had to say about buying on sabbath?

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• John317

• cardw

• Overaged

• fccool

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Bible teaches that we should refrain from buying and selling on the Sabbath. If we are on the road or in another country it might be ok as a matter of necessity.

Walk with the King and be a blessing!

`oG

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

I forget exactly where the Bible talks about it but unbelieving gentiles were coming outside the walls of Jerusalem and selling goods on the Sabbath and the Jews were scolded for buying from them on the Sabbath.

If we honor the preparation day (Friday) as we are suppose to, we should rarely be in a position where we have to break the Sabbath. The Sabbath is a day of rest It is like a holiday. I think of it like a weekly Thanksgiving day. How much time do we spend preparing for Thanksgiving? In some areas no stores are even open on Thanksgiving day. So if we prepare for the Sabbath like we should, it is a wonderful, weekly holiday.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

Shaving must have been a big deal in her day, complicated and such, I would guess. I came across a comment saying if a man hadn't shaved in time for Sabbath he should go to church anyway, unshaven. The impression made on him as a result would prompt him to be more careful in the future!

Today I can't imagine not shaving the morning before church. :)

When I was a young man I worked for the railroad and the "crew" lived in railroad cars with bunks, stove, sink, etc. Very remote locations. Hot water was from a coal fired stove, so taking a shower, shaving, all that, was a big deal. Shave with cold water in the morning if you shaved at all, as we didn't fire up the hot water (took a long time to get hot). Evening, wait for the water to get hot, wait your turn, hope the water was still hot, it was complicated.

• Members

TS, I agree with all the posts about not shopping on Sabbath. And as Shane mentioned about Friday being prep day. We have all week actually to prepare for the Sabbath. There are times when something does come up, like a next door neighbor that comes down with a cold or illness of some kind and medication is needed that needs to be bought. There are other examples that could be brought up, but I think you get the picture. I don't think any one is calling you out on this, at least I'm not, because I have been guilty of shopping on the Sabbath also.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

When the neighboring peoples bring merchandise or grain to sell on the Sabbath, we will not buy from them on the Sabbath or on any holy day. (Neh. 10:31)

When the neighboring peoples bring merchandise or grain to sell on the Sabbath, we will not buy from them on the Sabbath or on any holy day. (Neh. 10:31)

Amen --

"8 ""Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.

9 "" Six days you shall labor and do all your work,

10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD your God; in it you shall not do any work, you or your son or your daughter, your male or your female servant or your cattle or your sojourner who stays with you.

Those who serve us at the grocery store, restaurant, gas station etc deserve a rest on the Sabbath day.

in Christ,

Bob

John 8:32 - The Truth will make you free

“The righteousness of Christ will not cover one cherished sin." COL 316.

Because I still have a lot of friends and contacts from the days when I was not a Seventh-day Adventist I still have to regularly deal with friends who want to do some kind of work, or get together on Sabbath that I don't feel is appropriate.

Slowly they are figuring out, as am I. Sometimes I get a phone call on Sabbath, or Friday asking if "such and such" is OK on "my Sabbath". Sometimes pleading it's only "this time" because we've already made arrangements and stuff. Sometimes I have to pause and think it through, IS that OK on the Sabbath? What if it puts my friends in a major jam and causes a bunch of trouble for others that wasn't their fault entirely? Sometimes the answers don't come easily, but I'm figuring it out. I've had a couple of close calls where the Lord intervened and "handled" the situation for me, what a relief!

I now consider Wednesday as the last possible Sabbath preparation day of the week. It takes me THAT long to get ready for Friday night! I may have to move it up to Sunday afternoon to start preparing, I'm a slow learner... :)

Neh 13:21 Then I testified against them, and said unto them, Why lodge ye about the wall? if ye do so again, I will lay hands on you. From that time forth came they no more on the sabbath.

I have bought something on the Sabbath that bothered me for a long time. Once I was with a friend who persuaded me to buy a set of chairs and a bed on the Sabbath, as I had neither. I was so-o-o relieved when all the chairs were broken and the bed could be given away. My guilt bothered me for a long time.

If it had been my friend who needed food I would have had no qualms at all about buying food for her. The urgency of the necessity makes a difference. If I was without food, my body could handle hunger for a day.

If I was without food, my body could handle hunger for a day.
Not coincidentally the power of "man does not live by bread alone..." originated with legislation against "buying" food on that Holy day.

I was just reading about that. Sister White mentions that for some they would do well to fast one day a week, or even TWO days a week! Not to mention the exercise thing...

I need to loose some weight, no doubt about it, but I'm not sure I can do a fast? I get a little dizzy if I don't eat on schedule, but, I'm actually considering trying a fast for a day. Drink plenty water I guess, I'm not sure how it works, but I think it could be a good thing for me.

I now consider Wednesday as the last possible Sabbath preparation day of the week. It takes me THAT long to get ready for Friday night! I may have to move it up to Sunday afternoon to start preparing, I'm a slow learner... :)
I suggest you quit your job for the RR,change your phone number, switch to an electric razor, and move into a house that has a hot water heater. These modern innovations have really helped speed things up.

QR frame:

Do not buy and do not sell - rather GO - to the corners of the store and glean.

Gleaning on the Sabbath is NT.

Okaayyy, I'm kidding! However, what about

trading upon the Sabbath? Y'know, buy the tickee on a Thursday and trade it on the Sabbath for yummies... umm, buying and selling

by stealth bwink

Funny you should mention that Doug, I'm in the middle of a major remodel. New bath and a gutted kitchen, knocking down walls. Getting ready for Sabbath, lately, means moving some drywall out of the living room, hiding the paint cans and hoping construction dust hasn't messed up my suit to much. :)

• Moderators

What did the disciples do? What did the Pharisees say? What did Jesus say?

Any other questions? bwink

Truth is important

Funny you should mention that Doug, I'm in the middle of a major remodel. New bath and a gutted kitchen, knocking down walls. Getting ready for Sabbath, lately, means moving some drywall out of the living room, hiding the paint cans and hoping construction dust hasn't messed up my suit to much. :)
Yikes!! You'd definitely need a rest after that.

Any other questions? bwink

Yes. What do these questions have to do with buying and selling on the Sabbath?

Any other questions?

That is easy - the Disciples did not go to the market and buy bread or yeast or any other such thing on the Sabbath.

next.

I was just reading about that. Sister White mentions that for some they would do well to fast one day a week, or even TWO days a week! Not to mention the exercise thing...

I need to loose some weight, no doubt about it, but I'm not sure I can do a fast? I get a little dizzy if I don't eat on schedule, but, I'm actually considering trying a fast for a day. Drink plenty water I guess, I'm not sure how it works, but I think it could be a good thing for me.

Not sure what this has to do with the topic - but if you are suggesting fasting on the Sabbath - that was something they did not allow.

in Christ,

Bob

Bob, I was responding to a post that suggested fasting as an alternative to buying food on the Sabbath.

Sister Whites comments about it being good for some people to fast once or even twice a week, for better health, isn't in regard to Sabbath observance or as a Spiritual fast. The concept is that many would do well eating less. An office worker with limited exercise may do well on one meal a day, for instance. Or even fasting for one or two days out of the week.

I think there is little doubt most of us (if not ALL in the USA) eat more than we should. We are not starving intinerent apostles wandering the countryside dependant on others for food. If you are, it's OK to have a snack on the Sabbath whilst passing through a field of grain. :)

So, faced with a decision to buy food on the Sabbath or go hungry? Fasting is a valid option.

• Members

Because I still have a lot of friends and contacts from the days when I was not a Seventh-day Adventist I still have to regularly deal with friends who want to do some kind of work, or get together on Sabbath that I don't feel is appropriate.

Slowly they are figuring out, as am I. Sometimes I get a phone call on Sabbath, or Friday asking if "such and such" is OK on "my Sabbath". Sometimes pleading it's only "this time" because we've already made arrangements and stuff. Sometimes I have to pause and think it through, IS that OK on the Sabbath? What if it puts my friends in a major jam and causes a bunch of trouble for others that wasn't their fault entirely? Sometimes the answers don't come easily, but I'm figuring it out. I've had a couple of close calls where the Lord intervened and "handled" the situation for me, what a relief!

:like:

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

what about trading upon the Sabbath? Y'know, buy the ticket on a Thursday and trade it on the Sabbath for yummies... umm, buying and selling by stealth bwink

I don't have an issue with Adventists working in the kitchens at our hospitals, schools and campmeetings on Sabbath. I don't think it matters if people pay cash or with a ticket. Working in a kitchen in such a setting is doing a good work on the Sabbath. I would have more of an issue with it if we were employing non-Adventists to feed us on our Sabbath so that we didn't have to work.