ClubAdventist is back!

Buying groceries on sabbath

Guest truthseeker007

Good catch OA, that was Ellen White who said what I attributed to Sid. But you know thats whats Sid has to say on the matter as well. :)

Have you noticed, when you start to living what she counsels, the line starts to blur between what she says and what you find yourself saying.

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• John317

• cardw

• Overaged

• fccool

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good catch OA, that was Ellen White who said what I attributed to Sid. But you know thats whats Sid has to say on the matter as well. :)

Have you noticed, when you start to living what she counsels, the line starts to blur between what she says and what you find yourself saying.

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

On this thread - one thing is amazingly clear -

Quote:

9 There was the true Light which, coming into the world, enlightens every man.

10 He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him.

11 He came to His own, and those who were His own did not receive Him.

12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name,

13 who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.

14 And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth.

16 ""For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.

17 ""For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him.

18 "" He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

19 ""This is the judgment, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the Light, for their deeds were evil.

Free will.

in Christ,

Bob

This is what I call the magic incantation defense. Just quote the Bible and all disagreement will magically go away because whoever quotes is right.

Originally Posted By: ClubV12

It's also called brain washing.

I predict the comeback will be...

Yes my brain is being washed by the []. [truth] [Jesus][Holy Spirit][God]

Disguise it as they may, the real cause of doubt and skepticism, in most cases, is the love of sin. The teachings and restrictions of God’s word are not welcome to the proud, sin-loving heart, and those who are unwilling to obey its requirements are ready to doubt its authority. In order to arrive at truth, we must have a sincere desire to know the truth and a willingness of heart to obey it. And all who come in this spirit to the study of the Bible will find abundant evidence that it is God’s word, and they may gain an understanding of its truths that will make them wise unto salvation. –Ellen G. White (Steps To Christ p111)

This is the fine print clause that basically says that in case the solution I have written is unclear, contradictory, full of fallacies, illogical, lacks evidence, and is undecipherable it your fault because it's actually clear and understandable.

This says nothing. It's arrogant and is basically triumphal nonsense.

quote=ClubV12]Have you noticed, when you start to living what she counsels, the line starts to blur between what she says and what you find yourself saying. /quote]

And I can trust"

This is the fine print clause that basically says that in case the solution I have written is unclear, contradictory, full of fallacies, illogical, lacks evidence, and is undecipherable it your fault because it's actually clear and understandable.

Nothing arrogant about it man. Just because I may stumble upon a truth makes myself that much more accountable. Notice it wasn't even a direct reply to you. A lot of people read these threads that don't post. Her words may benefit them. It applies to me as well.

Actually; I have two sermons that I wrote out - one is called "How Long Have You Been Dead;" and the other is called "How Long Have You Been Alive?"

I'd be very interested in reading those. Are they available for download anywhere?

I'd have to scan them into my computer first...time is a little short right now but I can do it soon, maybe in 2 weeks. I am thinking of putting all my sermons online....will keep you posted..

And I can trust"

Well; at the risk of initiating a bit of controversy; I have noticed that - but I have also found that the more I follow that council; that the line starts to blur between what Ellen White says, and what the Bible says. She, (as well as I) readily admits that she is "not Bible;"

Paul "is not the Bible"

Moses "is not the Bible"

Ellen White "is not the Bible"

according to 2Peter 1:20-21 "no prophecy of scripture is a matter of individual interpretation - but Holy men of old moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God"

The only reason anything that Moses or Paul or Luke or Mark wrote even gets into "the Bible" is that it is the Holy Spirit's work - not theirs and He decided to include it in the Bible.

It is not too surprising then to find that when He makes statements through Ellen White - He sounds like the same person as when He made similar statements to mankind through others in history.

We need to focus more on the source and less on the incidental "who was the messenger".

in Christ,

Bob

John 8:32 - The Truth will make you free

“The righteousness of Christ will not cover one cherished sin." COL 316.

We need to focus more on the source and less on the incidental "who was the messenger".

in Christ,

Bob

Not one single messenger of God is EVER incidental...

And I can trust"

Bob makes a good point though, we should look more at the message and less at the messenger. God has used many messengers through out history, some have ended up loosing their way, but at some point their message remains that which is from God. In that sense, the details of a messengers life is not relevant to the message itself.

Originally Posted By: cardw

Nothing arrogant about it man. Just because I may stumble upon a truth makes myself that much more accountable. Notice it wasn't even a direct reply to you. A lot of people read these threads that don't post. Her words may benefit them. It applies to me as well.

LOL "I wasn't talking about you. I was talking about all those other people who have cherished sins."

I wasn't talking about you anyway. [Words here deleted by the moderator.]

quote=ClubV12]Have you noticed, when you start to living what she counsels, the line starts to blur between what she says and what you find yourself saying. /quote]

Well; it is a type of "washing;" that the Bible calls "sanctification:"

It is quite apparent, when people start quoting the Bible & Ellen White with no explanation, that they have lost the ability to think for themselves.

Bob makes a good point though, we should look more at the message and less at the messenger. God has used many messengers through out history, some have ended up loosing their way, but at some point their message remains that which is from God. In that sense, the details of a messengers life is not relevant to the message itself.

And I can trust"

And I can trust"

Originally Posted By: Overaged

Well; at the risk of initiating a bit of controversy; I have noticed that - but I have also found that the more I follow that council; that the line starts to blur between what Ellen White says, and what the Bible says. She, (as well as I) readily admits that she is "not Bible;"

Paul "is not the Bible"

Moses "is not the Bible"

Ellen White "is not the Bible"

according to 2Peter 1:20-21 "no prophecy of scripture is a matter of individual interpretation - but Holy men of old moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God"

The only reason anything that Moses or Paul or Luke or Mark wrote even gets into "the Bible" is that it is the Holy Spirit's work - not theirs and He decided to include it in the Bible.

It is not too surprising then to find that when He makes statements through Ellen White - He sounds like the same person as when He made similar statements to mankind through others in history.

in Christ,

Bob

IT IS NEVER "INCIDENTAL"

Eph 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

Eph 4:12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

Eph 4:13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

And I can trust"

I was talking about Ellen White being arrogant for the benefit of all the people who read these threads. :)

SC.052.003

Here is where thousands fail; they do not believe that Jesus pardons them personally, individually. They do not take God at His word. It is the privilege of all who comply with the conditions to know for themselves that pardon is freely extended for every sin. Put away the suspicion that God's promises are not meant for you. They are for every repentant transgressor. Strength and grace have been provided through Christ to be brought by ministering angels to every believing soul. None are so sinful that they cannot find strength, purity, and righteousness in Jesus, who died for them. He is waiting to strip them of their garments stained and polluted with sin, and to put upon them the white robes of righteousness; He bids them live and not die.

SC.053.001

God does not deal with us as finite men deal with one another. His thoughts are thoughts of mercy, love, and tenderest compassion. He says, "Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the Lord, and He will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for He will abundantly pardon." "I have blotted out, as a thick cloud, thy transgressions, and, as a cloud, thy sins." Isaiah 55:7; 44:22.

And I can trust"

• Moderators

(quoting): Disguise it as they may, the real cause of doubt and skepticism, in most cases, is the love of sin. The teachings and restrictions of God's word are not welcome to the proud, sin-loving heart, and those who are unwilling to obey its requirements are ready to doubt its authority. In order to arrive at truth, we must have a sincere desire to know the truth and a willingness of heart to obey it. And all who come in this spirit to the study of the Bible will find abundant evidence that it is God's word, and they may gain an understanding of its truths that will make them wise unto salvation. Ellen G. White (Steps To Christ p111)

Notice in the above, she says, "in most cases." She doesn't mean that her writings or even the Bible are absolutely perfect. She's saying the imperfections are not the real reason people reject God and the truth of His Word.

Read the rest of her statement on that same page:

Quote:
Christ has said, "If any man willeth to do His will, he shall know of the teaching." John 7:17, R.V. Instead of questioning and caviling concerning that which you do not understand, give heed to the light that already shines upon you, and you will receive greater light. By the grace of Christ, perform every duty that has been made plain to your understanding, and you will be enabled to understand and perform those of which you are now in doubt. {SC 111.2}

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

Quote:
Disguise it as they may, the real cause of doubt and skepticism, in most cases, is the love of sin.

Huh? It's like saying that doubting atheism and evolution is a disguise of love of ignorance and stupidity.

I would not question honesty of doubt, otherwise it may eventually takes you to a very dark place which in Dark Ages was called inquisition.

Heretics doubted because they "loved sin and witchcraft", right? :)

• Moderators

Heretics doubted because they "loved sin and witchcraft", right? :)

Most of the "heretics" you're talking about were considered heretics because they didn't accept false doctrines but taught directly from the Bible. Many were killed just for being in possession of the Bible, or portions of it, in the common langauge.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.