ClubAdventist is back!

Academic Excellence - what is it?

StillGreen

• Members

As a 2-time recipient of "Who's Who in America's Teachers" I believe in the 3 C's = caring, committment and competence.

Even though I taught in an inner-city public high school (with a short lecturing stint at Fordham University), my students did the most with what they had and I gave them the most of what I had.

Teachers have to love what they're doing and truly care for their students. That when added to subject competence "can" result in academic excellence. Some of my students have gone on to become lawyers, doctors, scientists, investment bankers, teachers, etc. but what I always sought after was whether they were individuals with high moral standards who seeked to serve society (civic responsibility).

When I taught, the 2 standards of standardized testing to determine academic excellence were SAT scores and A.P. scores (Advanced Placement). I coached SAT prep classes and taught English A.P. classes at both HS and college freshmen levels.

Alex

P.S. I also was the 1st teacher to teach a "Bible as/in Literature" elective in the public HS system in NYC.

We are our worst enemy - sad but true.

colorfulcanyon-1-1.jpg

http://abelisle.blogspot.com

• Administrators

Originally Posted By: Tom Wetmore
...it is being able to impart those skills and that knowledge and facilitate mastery in the full range of students placed in their charge.

How do you define mastery?

That's a good question. While I am not an educator, I am aware of a specific learning theory which is know as mastery learning. ( See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mastery_learning ) While that may be the theory behind one approach, what I had in mind was more of a practical common sense approach to mastery. It is not simply rote memorization of information about a subject. And it is more than cognitive understanding. Mastery is taking the information, understanding it, and applying it successfully without coaching or assistance.

Someone who has mastered the knowledge of math can take that knowledge and apply it to practical and useful purposes successfully. And mastery can use that knowledge in new and perhaps unfamiliar circumstances to solve a similar math problem combine it with other mastered knowledge for more complex problem solving or create a new applications.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

...Teachers have to love what they're doing and truly care for their students. That when added to subject competence "can" result in academic excellence.

Many of my students have went on to become successful as well. However, I do not believe it was all because of my academic proficiency. Many of them would have succeeded with or without me. I know I have inspired some to reach beyond and be healthy "self-learners". For this I too am grateful. However, I do not believe that it is something that can always be packaged, graded and traded.

As with everything in life, there are more variables to a student's success than just an inspiring teacher. I find that some of those that have come back to thank me are just the opposite of what I would call successful in life. Young people that have continued to make terrible choices. Ones that come out of homes that are less than inspirational.

In fact, this last weekend, I had two of them (that I have not taught for 5 years) come to see me and thank me for always accepting them regardless of what they have done.

So, academic excellence? No, I do not claim to be the sharpest tool in the shed. But I do believe I have helped many students recognize their abilities and helped them learn to apply them in life.

Would they be "academically" successful? No... not at all. However, they can be the best at what they choose to do.

Do they have a valuable place in society? Can they be a contributing citizen, a model citizen? Most definitely.

So... what is academic excellence?

I still administer SAT tests and we have AP at our sister boarding academy. However, our school only goes through 10th grade and we are limited with our resources. So, AP programs are out of reach for now bwink